Galley stove alchohol consumption

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
chucktro
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: 2009 26M "Pisces" Blue Hull # 2160, Honda 9.9, Lake Pleasant, Arizona

Galley stove alchohol consumption

Post by chucktro »

My galley has an Origo 2000 alcohol stove. Filled with one quart of alcohol, at full flame, could someone give me an approximation of how many hours the flame will last?
capncarp
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Galley stove alchohol consumption

Post by capncarp »

That's a good question. I doubt that anyone has used it for that long. I have the single burner Origo (1500,2000) ? It will last a long time. I refill about once a season. Take it out and light it up. Let us know.
Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes »

When I was using mine regularly on long trips, I would guess at least 3-4 hours, but usually no more than an hour max at a time, so my guess may be off. Like most I've never had occasion to burn it continuously and I'm not sure why you would.

Even if you forget and leave off the rubber cover, if it started out full mine still works after several weeks. Eventually even with the covers on it seems to disappear due to evaporation.
chucktro
Just Enlisted
Location: 2009 26M "Pisces" Blue Hull # 2160, Honda 9.9, Lake Pleasant, Arizona

Post by chucktro »

I realize my question was totally misleading. The answer to which I was seeking was total hours of burn time during intermittent use, not a continuous flame during one lighting.
efalstrem
Deckhand

Post by efalstrem »

During three weekend trips totalling seven days of living/eating on board we only filled the stove once - about day five. That's under normal use for two people.
Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral
Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Post by Duane Dunn, Allegro »

On our 23 day trip into Canada a few years back I filled both canisters in our 2 burner Origo before we left and never had to fill it again. We used it a lot usually cooking 2-3 meals a day on it as well as heating water for dishwashing, coffee, etc. There were 5 of us on board for the 3+ week trip and the bulk of the cooking was done on the Origo, supplemented by the occasional use of the propane BBQ out back. Both burners were still working at the end of the trip. We never bother to put in the rubber seals anymore.

http://home.comcast.net/~duane.dunn/LogBook42.htm
puggsy
Captain
Sailboat: Venture 25
Location: MACLESS but not quite BOATLESS in Perth Western Australia

Post by puggsy »

Looking for good advice....I have not used these factory fitted "alcohol" stoves before and the previous owner never used it at all. It was still like new.
I filled it up today with 1 litre of METHYLATED SPIRIT . On the plastic bottle, it is rated for 'stoves'....so I imagine its o.k..

There is a black circular pad of foam rubber over the filler hole. Commonsense said to leave it off when lighting the stove...stove worked fine...
IS THIS PART OF THE PACKING OR TO STOP THE FUEL EVAPORATING WHEN THE STOVE TOP IS NOT IN USE.?

Silly question I know...but I do need to know.
craiglaforce
Captain

Post by craiglaforce »

The rubber cover is only for long term storage to reduce evaporation of the alcohol. I think most have discarded it, mine didn't seem to reduce evap rate. If I left the boat for a month it would be dry and need refilled no matter if the rubber thing was used or not.

I removed my Origo finally and use a 20 dollar butane burner. Self lighting, great flame, no stink, no filling and spilling alcohol. Just need to have a plan to deal with the heavier than air butane. (alcohol is heavier than air also by the way)
Last edited by craiglaforce on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral
Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Post by Duane Dunn, Allegro »

Two key differences from butane make alcohol safer.
It is not in a pressurized container, and it requires a open flame to light.

A leak on the butane canister valve or internal stove part will allow butane to fill your bilge as it is pressurized.
Butane (or propane) only requires a spark to ignite.
dennisneal
First Officer
Location: Riverside, CA, '06 26M, 60HP Etec; Sailing out of Marina Del Rey

Post by dennisneal »

I've spent some time researching the subject of (alcohol, vs. butane, vs. propane), galley stoves on this website, and others.

I concluded that propane, butane, etc. are potentially dangerous because their fumes are heavier than air. If there is even a tiny leak, the fumes from these fuels will fall into the bilge and, may lurk there for years until a small spark awakens them and cause an explosion.

I chose an alcohol stove. It may not have the "heat" of a propane stove, but, I think it is much safer.
Kelly Hanson East
Admiral
Location: Kelly Hanson Marine........Mac 26M Dealer......Freedom Boat Works

Post by Kelly Hanson East »

This has been thrashed to death on this Board, so interested parties can use the Search function to read as much as they like.

You can use most any fuel to cook on board, safely, TAKING PROPER PRECAUTIONS!

I anchored up in the Cape last summer when one of these debates was raging, and the guy next to me on anchor has a charcoal BBQ going with about 4 feet of flames from some accelerant. :o :o :o

"Most any fuel"
Frank C

Post by Frank C »

Kelly Hanson East wrote: . . . You can use most any fuel to cook on board, safely, TAKING PROPER PRECAUTIONS!
Sorry Stephen ... some folks smoke while filling up at a gas station too, but that doesn't mean it's smart. :)

The problem with TAKING PROPER PRECAUTIONS is that there's usually only one person aboard who knows what's "proper." Accidents happen when others are unaware of any need for precautions. As long as the whole family is AWARE, it's okay to use propane or butane in the cabin ... I guess.

Of course, this also ignores the rare occasion when a gas valve might fail, or a flame goes out.
But then the case shifts to POSTcautions . . .
DON'T light a match~! :)

I'm using a Coleman propane stove-grill ... only outside, in the cockpit.
Of course, that's mainly in California, where it doesn't rain from May thru October.
bastonjock
Admiral

Post by bastonjock »

i took a while to make my mind up on which stove type to go with,the butane stoves are more conveinient and smell less,Two incidents with the butane stove made my mind up to go with Alcohol,one tin of gas had leaked its contents whilst in the galley,then i notticed that sometimes the canister would spit gas and the final incident was when i lit the stove and a ring of flame slowly worked its way around the perimeter of the stove.

I feel safer with the alcohol stove,it stinks a bit but i find im getting used to it,I still use gas for the barbeque,but i keep the gas cans outside in the cockpit

If i had fitted a gas detector and blige blower i might have stayed with the butane stove

as for consumption,well im TEETOTAL so i dont drink any of the stuff thats meant for the stove :) i find that its all relative to how many time that you use the stove,i bought a one gallon container of meths and it will see me through the season