Want a forest of wind turbines in your backyard?

An area for discussion of sailing-related topics of particular interest to Canadians
ralphk
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Want a forest of wind turbines in your backyard?

Post by ralphk »

There is an extraordinary movement by Toronto's power utility, to proceed to build Canada's largest windfarm
in Lake Ontario. Interestingly, supported by the provincial government, this is on a fast-track path bypassing mandatory environmental assessement.

Of course there are pros and cons to the issue.
As a boater though, the lense includes risks to obvious degradation of our recreational space.

Check out
http://www.savethetorontobluffs.com/

Ralph K.

Hakuna Matata
Mac 97X
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: Want a forest of wind turbines in your backyard?

Post by kmclemore »

! kmclemore:
Note: Political stuff belongs in this board's "Back Room". I won't stop this discussion, but I would advise that mariners proceed with caution and take care not to navigate into murky waters. Thanks.
Just Nuisance
Just Enlisted

Re: Want a forest of wind turbines in your backyard?

Post by Just Nuisance »

Hi Ralph

I write this response a good 4 months after it was posted.
I do have concerns about the Scarborough Bluffs, but mainly regarding errosion. The issues I see on your linked website to me equals property values, not environmental gains. As new technologys and ideas emerg so should our awarness and understanding.
Wind farms to me are not ugly, but then again I don't own a house on the Scarborough Bluffs. Have you been to Walkerton or Tobermory lately? Very impressive.
As for our recreational space. These wind farms are like any other restricted or marked areas. Lake Ontario is a big area. Capturing wind for electricity out ways the importance for poor navigational skills.

Regards

Mike
Just Nuisance