26x Winch capacity?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

I wonder if you could implement this even simpler with a bail up high which would redirect the pulling vector of the winch to lift the bow into the V...I'll have a go at this this winter before I put the boat away...

Stephen
Frank C

Post by Frank C »

Stephen,
You probably mean moving the boweye down lower on the boat? (Same as moving the winch higher, right?)

Seems a big effort to get into the bow area, under the v-berth, plus drilling two new holes through the hull. OTOH, guess it would be a perfect opportunity to add a backing block and larger boweye to improve the strength up there.
Frank C

Post by Frank C »

OOPS - sorry, complete disconnect. You want to add a bail somewhere higher on the winch post to guide the rope upward. Much less complicated than moving the boweye.!
craiglaforce
Captain

Post by craiglaforce »

Newell, I would also be interested in seeing a photo of your new winch installation. Did you drill the hole through the rubber bow rest for the line to pass down to the bow eye? Also, what exactly did you bolt the winch to? THe same holes just on the other side? It is down in the channel however, so I guess you maybe mounted it on a plate across the top of the channel stock?
Newell
First Officer

Winching onto Trailer

Post by Newell »

I used longer bolts and bolted through the same holes using washers to strengten the winch. As I remember the winch is mounted backward from it's original position.

The hole for the line to pass through the support is drilled just ahead of the rubber V-block. I have faired the hole with a file but it still chafes the last several inches of rope. I replaced the original rope and put on a longer one. Each year I cut off about 6" and take out the frayed part.
Newell
First Officer

Winching onto Trailer

Post by Newell »

I also think I had to reverse the anti reversing pawl so that it would work correctly. Not to clear on this part. I know another owner machined a part to do the same thing so a change has to be made but I can't remember it being much work.
craiglaforce
Captain

Post by craiglaforce »

Thanks for the added details.
Greg
First Officer

Post by Greg »

I replaced the winch strap with a cable, which should work well with reversing the winch and running the cable through a hole in the steel channel. I also use a 5/16 galvanized chain for backup, which I hook up before retrieving the boat from the water. I always float the boat up to the vee block - I never use the winch to drag the boat up to the vee. The original strap broke while retrieving the Mac on a steep ramp. I replaced it with a new strap and it frayed on the edge from contact with the winch gear the first time I used it. When the strap broke the boat slid back about 1 foot. The thought of having the Mac sliding off onto the ramp is painful to say the least.
One more note: When launching I always loosen the chain before backing down the ramp else it may bind whin the boat floats from the trailer.
argonaut
Captain

Post by argonaut »

Well, another launch/retrieve, another 3" gap in the boweye.
My winch cable has a 3" steel hook that prevents cinching the boweye completely into the V block because the hook itself becomes the obstacle.
Also I tried the "macgregor bump" 4 times but the boat absolutely stuck in place.
There's a black bottom paint over the blue bottom layer and it's not slippery, I think the bump idea is not gonna work in my situation.
To me the block/winch seem to just be too low to be of much help.
While I was docking a 23' powerboat next to me drove onto it's trailer, the owner hopped out, took up the last 6" with his winch and drove home.
Are these trailers really made at the factory to fit this boat??