Taking a Kayak on the Mac

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Taking a Kayak on the Mac

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

I'm currently looking into the possiblity of getting a kayak for general fitness and for exploring those shallow anchorages. Inflatable kayaks just dont seem to do it for me, and I'm looking at a sit on top type touring style hard kayak. I am looking at something of perhaps 3.5mtrs (about 11.5 feet I think) as they paddle faster and easier than the real short ones which gives a better range.

I'm told they tow okay but would also want the option of bringing it onboard if things turned bad.

It looks like there might be room on the Mac to attach two brackets outboard of the two top stauntions where you just might be able to store a kayak of that size. (there are some pretty light ones on the market) The problem I forsee is the Macs windage problem becoming even greater, but I'd be willing to accept that to be able to take a kayak on a cruise now and then.

So is there anybody doing it??

Cheers,
Paul
Octaman
Engineer

Re: Taking a Kayak on the Mac

Post by Octaman »

Paul,

I have an inflatable 'PATHFINDER' 2-person kayak that works very well for me. Length 4 metres, widest part 0.90 metres.
Why inflatable? 1. it does not bruise the Mac when taking on board or when bumping into the boat when on the water, 2. if I run into heavy weather I can always deflate and store in the cockpit or belowdecks, 3. it is very light, 4. attractive price - didn't cost much, 5. good quality PVC compared to other similar products.

Although a rigid kayak may always outperform an inflatable one, I have to say that for my personal requirements, going ashore, exploring the immediate vicinity of an achorage, the PATHFINDER suits me well and has exceeded my expectations. Please note, that I am not a kayak expert.

If I am not going too far on the Mac, I just lift the kayak out of the water and place it on the deck (anywhere) - easy. Alternatively, I can tow but ONLY at LOW speeds. If I am doing a crossing to the next island the kayak sits on the foredeck to one side or the other, securely lashed down; if the kayak bow starts at the forestay, the end extends till just aft of the mast and stays nicely wedged between the mast and the stanchion. Only one disadvantage: it restricts your view forward when powering.
So, one day I decided to raise the kayak; one end now sits on the pulpit, the other end sits one a line lashed between the mast and top of the stanchion. This is quite cool because the kayak sits level and from the cockpit I have a clear totally unobstructed view forward and sideways as my line of site is now UNDER the kayak! :D
A friend watching me from ashore as I came in to the harbour once said he couldn't figure out how a kayak was trying to overtake a Mac ! (smile) :D

Anyway, in your case, if you go for a rigid kayak, I am sure you will have increased windage as you propose to stow it. An idea may be to hang if off the side from the same stanchions in which case, no added windage, sits lower and does not obstruct your view.
Hope this helps

Octaman 8)
K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by K9Kampers »

We used tow a sit-on-top kayak, an Ocean Kayak brand Malibu 2. Transporting on the road, this kayak nested perfectly at the bow of the Mac and underneath the mast. On the water, if needed, I could lift it up on the foredeck. Sailing with it up there is possible, but not able to fully unfurl the genny. Pic below is all I have accessible at the moment, will post the others later.

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

In 2002, our first season with Chinook, we didn't yet have a dinghy. We wanted to explore the San Juans, which would involve anchoring out, so I experimented with using our 17 foot aluminum canoe as a dinghy. The results were mixed. I had a lot of trouble getting the canoe to track. It kept swerving back and forth while underway, often swinging completely outside our wake and threatening to swamp. The canoe took on water several times and we had to halt and bail. I tried tying a length of rope onto the stern of the canoe and this helped a bit, but didn't fully solve the problem. The narrow beam and sharply pointed bow of the canoe worked against using a bridle. Also, when slowing down, the canoe's momentum and easy motion in the water allowed it to slide ahead, threatening to ram our stern. Finally, that aluminum left marks all over the hull whenever it touched. It was great to have along, however, once we got to where we were going, since it really shines as a means of paddling around and exploring. An inflatable kayak would really seem to be a nice way to enjoy the advantages of a paddle craft, with none of the limitations of something long and rigid, which would have to be trailed.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

I've often thought about making a couple of retractable outriggers that a couple of sit on top kayak's could be attached too this would be great for transporting on the road in the up poss. and at dock side and for powering , then in the down poss. for boarding , sailing should be far superior when locked down & more comfort level for your Admiral , on the hook in open water less rocking !
Now I found on the web somewhere a mac 26S that a guy had done this mod with two home made pontoon's that were removable & retractable I believe ! I still have it save in my old desk top I think which someday I keep saying I'm going to clean up & transfer the data I want to keep ! it looked Mac cool trimiran

J
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

It sounds like you're referring to a guy called MadMike, who sailed to extreme places in his highly modified 26X, named Xeno's Arrow. He used to post here frequently a number of years ago, but hasn't shown up for quite awhile. He mounted a pair of retractable pontoons to the side of his X. I think he used retractable kicker motor mounts to attach the pontoons. He cruised his boat on the MacKenzie River to the Artic Ocean and back, also cruised the Carribean and up the Amazon, if I recall correctly. He was seriously thinking of sailing it across to Hawaii, but I don't think he ever actually did that trip.
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

See this link

I am very happy with my choice of a 10 foot sit-in (not on top) kayak that still can be had for $199 at Dick's Sporting. I have perfected the get in and off from the back of the MacX. Sit-in style allows me to use it in cold weather as well and also the rough water of busy anchorages. There are smaller kayaks than this one, but I have not tried them. The kayak fits inside the Mac fairly easily and when I actively use it I lay it upside down on the top between the shrouds and mast. I had it stowed that way for a week on my Cape Fear trip two years ago.
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

Thanks all for the input and pics. I realize that an inflatable kayak is the best option for a boat like the Mac if its just going to be used within a mile or so of an anchorage.

However I would also like to use it for longer exploration trips (possibly camp outs) and where I live, you wouldnt want to get caught out in the middle of nowhere on some mangrove island with an inflatable kayak with a hole blown in it. ( I am a bit scared of inflatables due to a recent trip in the mac, where me and the wife and our two very young children were exploring in our inflatable tender with 4hp Merc on the back, and the seam blew out on the front of the boat. I then found that the boat has just one chamber rather than the three it is supposed to have!! With half the air gone, my wife was able to fold the seam over and hold it closed while my 4 year old son held his one year old sister and we limped back to the Mac. I just got them off and the transome started to collapse. I then just got the Merc off and I jumped off and the inflatable started to sink. I pulled the mess up on the Macs foredeck with a boathook. So I am off anything inflatable for a while, especially something I plan to go off to the middle of nowhere by myself with!)

The Sit in style is good no doubt great for staying dry, and that one fitting in the Mac is a real bonus, but I'm going for a sit on as I want it to be able to get the kids on it as well when mucking about. And I'm after something longer because I want the ability to get a bit of speed on to increase its cruising range. Actually the boat at the following link is the one I'm interested in. Maybe not sold in the US but this model is quite popular here.
http://www.vikingkayak.com.au/espri.htm

Have to have a bit more of a think about it, but I reckon a boat of this size could somehow go on the Mac...

Thanks for the link Opie, will enjoy reading your cruising story shortly 8)
ROAD Soldier
Captain

Post by ROAD Soldier »

My FOLBOAT Greenland II with sailrig. Carries 650LBS, unsinkable, and fits in 3 bags.
Gypsy
First Officer

Post by Gypsy »

We have two Old Town 12' Dirigo enclosed kayaks that we tow. Haven't figured out a way to bring them onboard "YET" but I am working on it. :wink:
They tow very well and track well unless we get above 9 or 10 mph , then they get squirrely .

Years ago we tried towing a 17' aluminum canoe with the same results you got , wanting to swing way out , etc.

I found plans for a boarding platform which I built that makes it real easy to get in or out of the kayaks . If your interested I can send you pictures. It hangs on the side of our Mac and flods flat when not in use.

We love to anchor the big boat , get in the kayaks , and go exploring in some creek or backwater .
Its good exercise and beautiful scenery that most people will never see.

Last Nov. we took a 5 day 4 night 66 mile camping trip in our kayaks . Had a great time.
12 footers are a bit small for camping out of but we managed to stash enough food and wine in every nook and cranny !
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Chinook wrote:It sounds like you're referring to a guy called MadMike, who sailed to extreme places in his highly modified 26X, named Xeno's Arrow. He used to post here frequently a number of years ago, but hasn't shown up for quite awhile. He mounted a pair of retractable pontoons to the side of his X. I think he used retractable kicker motor mounts to attach the pontoons. He cruised his boat on the MacKenzie River to the Artic Ocean and back, also cruised the Carribean and up the Amazon, if I recall correctly. He was seriously thinking of sailing it across to Hawaii, but I don't think he ever actually did that trip.
nope he had an :macx: & inflatable pontoons . This was an Mac 26S

J
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

I have taken two 10 footers to Cuttyhunk lashed to the foredeck. Easy to pull up from the water, unless they are filled up. Pretty hard to board from transom, easier from side ladder.

Brought them back lashed to dinghy in tow, in near flat seas....about 15 mile trip.
J.Teixeira
First Officer
Location: ARIANE - Europe - Portugal - Douro Valey - Dehler 24 - Bass Fishing

Post by J.Teixeira »

Hi

I have a Ocean Kayak (Malibu?)

It works fine except on choppy seas (tandem)

In 10 years I am very happy with it.

Regards

Jose
Gypsy
First Officer

Post by Gypsy »

Catigale wrote:I have taken two 10 footers to Cuttyhunk lashed to the foredeck. Easy to pull up from the water, unless they are filled up. Pretty hard to board from transom, easier from side ladder.

Brought them back lashed to dinghy in tow, in near flat seas....about 15 mile trip.

Would you happen to have pictures , you can post ?
I'd like to see how you do it , perhaps get some ideas on how to bring ours onboard.
Ours are 12 footers

Normally , they tow nicely behind . The cockpit covers kept spray and rougue waves out , but I know
when we start our serious traveling there will be a need to bring them onboard from time to time.
:macx:
csm
First Officer

Post by csm »

The bow of my Necky Spike (12' 6") slips nicely under the lifeline and the stern of the kayak is just about flush with the stern rail. It lashes down easily and securely, and I've motored with it, but haven't tried to sail with it onboard. I think it would be doable since my main sheet attaches to the pedestal guard/grab handle about a foot above the top of the pedestal. The traveler location on the M will probably interfer with sailing with a kayak in the cockpit, but motoring should be ok. I've also secured a Hobie Outback in the cockpit, but it didn't fit nearly as slick as the spike and cluttered up the cockpit. The spike, is a great kayak, but I think Necky discontinued them.