Anyone know how many Venture 2-24s were produced?

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
Captain_Kirk
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 15

Anyone know how many Venture 2-24s were produced?

Post by Captain_Kirk »

I'm just curious if anyone knows the number or approximate?

I have hull #70.
Freedom77
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Re: Anyone know how many Venture 2-24s were produced?

Post by Freedom77 »

Not sure, but it was a short production run. MacGregor produced the V-24 for a number of years during the 60's and later simultaneously offered the pop top 24 early 70's. They built the V-222 pop top starting in late 1970 and then the V-224. Then they started building the V-25 mid '70's. Same basic hull, different top mold and came with interior liner. You have a pretty early model and you should be able to tell what year it was built by checking the stamped serial # on the right stern. It's gonna be fun to find out how many they built since Roger closed up shop. Hope this helps. Fair winds and Full Sails....Old Salt... 8)
Captain_Kirk
Chief Steward

Post by Captain_Kirk »

Thanks for the reply.

I think I've seen hull numbers in the low hundreds before. So not sure how high they go. I'll have to look for that serial #. It's located inside on the starboard side of the transom? I had a hull of a time finding the hull number even though everyone told me where to look, but never could find it. While I was tearing out the interior to prep it to sand and paint the starboard side under the cockpit had a board on top of it and when I pulled that board up there it was. lol
Freedom77
First Officer

Post by Freedom77 »

The hull mold on the 24 and 224 were exactly the same, just a different top mold. Is your keel cast iron or fiberglass covered? I used to be the dealer in these parts and Mac changed things, it seems, on a daily basis. Hardware was always low bid and was never the same on any given boat. That's why Roger has on house in Newport 8) Fair Winds and Full Sails...Old salt.
Bill Reichert
Deckhand

Post by Bill Reichert »

My V 24 is # 636. Come on over to the site on Yahoo and post up your knowledge of the 24s. It would be great to get more info on the site for the owners! 8)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Venture24/
Captain_Kirk
Chief Steward

Post by Captain_Kirk »

Ah, gotcha.

My keel is covered in fiberglass. It's my understanding they are all cast iron and covered in fiberglass? That's one of the reasons they have problems with the keels getting stuck in the boat because water gets under the fiberglass casing and causes expansion. Is that incorrect?

The vast majority of my hardware is Harken and I'm guessing most of the parts are original to the boat. The only parts I really had to order were fairleads since the old ones were pretty sun rotted. Buying new transom eyes because I couldn't remove the old ones without cutting them and then there was a chrome plated flag holder on the transom that I'm replacing with a stainless steel one. Everything else is still in great shape.

I'll have to go out and find that serial # today.
Captain_Kirk
Chief Steward

Post by Captain_Kirk »

Awesome Bill, thanks for letting me know. I'll join shortly.
Captain_Kirk
Chief Steward

Post by Captain_Kirk »

Tried finding the serial number, but had no luck. I looked on the inside of the transom everywhere on the starboard and port side and didn't see anything. I also looked for it on the outside of the boat and didn't see it there either, but the PO smothered my boat with house paint so it might just be covered up?
Freedom77
First Officer

Post by Freedom77 »

The older Ventures had fiberglass coated keels. Then they went to cast iron only and scared them with a little bottom paint. Our V-222 had the fiberglass coated PITA and I had to drop it, strip it and reglass due to corrosion and swelling as you described. Fair winds and full sails...Old Salt..
Captain_Kirk
Chief Steward

Post by Captain_Kirk »

Ah, gotcha. Mines fiberglass coated. As far as I can tell it's not stuck in the keel well, but that's only based on being able to move it a few inches up and down while on the trailer just to see if it would budge. I haven't taken the boat out, but hopefully it will swing out with no problems. I'm really crossing my fingers I don't have to drop it and reglass it.
Bill Reichert
Deckhand

Post by Bill Reichert »

Captain_Kirk wrote:Tried finding the serial number, but had no luck. I looked on the inside of the transom everywhere on the starboard and port side and didn't see anything. I also looked for it on the outside of the boat and didn't see it there either, but the PO smothered my boat with house paint so it might just be covered up?
the SN is like the old connect the dots kids puzzles. It's just a bunch of holes drill the the wood. Take a piece of paper and punch holes in the paper while it is taped on. The 5 is a weird shape and looks like a 3 backwards.
Captain_Kirk
Chief Steward

Post by Captain_Kirk »

I believe what you are referring to is the hull number and I've been able to find that: http://imgur.com/ppEWhPX

I'm wanting to find the serial number so I know what year my boat is.