Electrical question

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.
barryst1300
Deckhand
Sailboat: Other

Electrical question

Post by barryst1300 »

Can anyone tell me if the main house wiring to the Macgregors is Black for negative and White for positive?
Reason I ask is I have set up my house batteries with black as the ground and everything works Ok. All the cabin lights work, all the anchor lights work, the running lights and even the radio's I have wired in work OK.

However, I purchased new LED bulbs to replace all the original house light bulbs and none of LED's work once installed?
I tested the LED directly on the battery and they work fine, if I reverse the polarity of the LED on the battery I get a dead short.
I am not blowing any fuses in the house light circuit when I install the LED's to the lights, but I can't get them to work either?

I was wondering if I have the house wiring working in reverse polarity as for normal bulbs I don;t think it matters? But I'm kind of surprised I haven't blown fuses on the radio's etc if I have their polarity arse about?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Barry
Nautek
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Electrical question

Post by Nautek »

Barry
Your battery terminals should tell you if you have the battery around the right way as one terminal is smaller than the other
If you reverse polarity you could damage any electronics you may have on the motor
You may have to reverse your wiring at the light socket or at the switch panel

Allan
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

Sounds odd, as I have used about three different kinds of LEDs I'v bought from ebay and they have all worked as drop in replacements on the stock wiring.

But as Allan says, reverse the wiring at the sockets I guess.

I'v never been happy with the stock lighting and I put strip LED lighting in which lit the place up like a Christmas tree but it kept falling down and I went back to the house sockets. The LEDs I finally found which I have been happy with in the amount of light they give out and the colour of the light is these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-102-SMD-L ... 2a20a44489
barryst1300
Deckhand

Post by barryst1300 »

Thanks for the feed back. The wiring harness is all attached to the wing nut terminals at the batteries, so the size is the same on all the terminals.
The main house wiring harness comes into the battery as two wires. One is black the other is white. I took it that the black was the earth?
When I connected everything up everything that works off the standard MacGregor power board such as anchor lights, cabin lights, running lights all work fine. I have since added a VHF radio powered up from the Aux switch and even that's working fine and not blowing any fuses. So I don't imagine I have the polarity around the wrong way.

I'll pull the panel tomorrow and have a look at the wiring behind the panel again I should be able to see what colour wire is on the main positive input for the 4 switch panel and work it out from there?

Today I've fitted the new brake caliper pistons, new brake shoes and made up a stainless sleeve to go over the pitted area on the axle where the grease seal runs. Installed new bearings to the hubs and flushed and bled the brake circuit. I've got a little more work to do this week to finish of the stereo install and mount a couple of speakers and we're right to take it out for our first sail next weekend. Getting excited!!
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Post by sunshinecoasting »

Hi Barry, I put LED bulbs in my factory lights a year or so ago, they didnt work so I did some testing and found that Macgregor wired them with positive earth, go figure, so I reversed the polarity of the light fittings and they worked fine, normal bulbs aren't polarised but LEDs are. Just reverse the light fittings wiring, it isn't hard.

Cheers, Dennis.
barryst1300
Deckhand

Post by barryst1300 »

Thanks Dennis. Is it only the light circuits that are positive earthed? That has to be the problem. :o
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Post by sunshinecoasting »

barryst1300 wrote:Thanks Dennis. Is it only the light circuits that are positive earthed? That has to be the problem. :o
Yes it appears to be, which is why everything else works ok. I have no idea why you would do that but they did.
barryst1300
Deckhand

Post by barryst1300 »

Thanks for the tip Dennis. That was the issue. I reversed the polarity of the lights and the LEDs all work fine now. :)
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

Guess the PO must have done it on mine then..
The Mutt
Captain
Location: Springwood, NSW, devinetemptations.com/macgregor26x.htm

Post by The Mutt »

When in doubt use a multi-meter across the terminals, saves letting manufacturers smoke out .

Fair Winds
Glenn
Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee »

Think ours were positive to earth as well, I do remember something odd but it was a long time ago and I just changed the whole fittings in the end anyway, you can buy fittings now almost as cheap as replacement globes.