wax recomendations

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

wax recomendations

Post by dlandersson »

Getting to be that time of year again. New plate, new batteries, inspect & TS trailer, et.

Any wax suggestions? I'm getting old (lazy really) so the easier the better. 8)

I see that WM has 3M's Marine Restorer & Wax on sale. Any good?
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: wax recomendations

Post by NiceAft »

Boy, has this topic been chewed over and over and over again. Try doing a search for WAX.

I have used several wax's over the years. Plain old Turtle Wax easy on and easy off works for me. I have used Meguiar's and others, but keep coming back to Turtle.

When it came to the raccoon stripes, two years ago I gave up on the waxing, and painted them. They still look good. When the time comes, I will paint them again. :)

Hey, these are just my opinions. Someone more anal may be more particular. I gotta tell you though, when it comes to my Mac, I am pretty darn particular :wink: :D

Ray
jstyers
Chief Steward

Post by jstyers »

Look into NewGlass2 as well. It transformed my boat. After numerous rounds with various waxes and rubbing compounds I went the NewGlass route and couldn't be more pleased. Once I finally removed the substantial oxidation (waxes and rubbing compound couldn't get it all, I ended up wet sanding the entire boat) NewGlass went on easy and quick and looks stunning. http://newglass2.com/
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

I've looked into NewGalass2. I like it a lot. But I'm shooting for "easy" application. :wink:
jstyers wrote:Look into NewGlass2 as well. It transformed my boat. After numerous rounds with various waxes and rubbing compounds I went the NewGlass route and couldn't be more pleased. Once I finally removed the substantial oxidation (waxes and rubbing compound couldn't get it all, I ended up wet sanding the entire boat) NewGlass went on easy and quick and looks stunning. http://newglass2.com/
jstyers
Chief Steward

Post by jstyers »

The application of NewGlass itself is a breeze, just wipe it on and let it dry. My boat had been neglected for 10 years or so. The black stripes were chalky white, the whole boat had a lot of powdery oxidation built up that would not come off with wax or rubbing compound. If your gelcoat is in reasonably good condition, you shouldn't need to go through what I did for preparation. NewGlass sells a pre-treatment wash that you use to remove old NewGlass, wax/dirt, etc. It didn't make a dent in my case but if your boat has been maintained it may be all you need. Good luck whatever you choose.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

There is no easy way.

The only way to keep a new boat looking new is to use fiberglass cleaner on the entire boat (Colonite) and then apply Fleet Wax. Once a year for a boat that sits all winter long is good enough - but if the boat is used all year round like mine you need to do it every six months. It's a major PITA and I hire teenagers to help. This is the only way to keep the factory stripes nice - clean them with the Colonite cleaner - then a heavy coat of fleet wax. This will keep them very black and protected. You also need to cover the boat when not in use.

If the boat is already oxidized then that is a different story. (That might be the "easy" way out! Just let the boat go to hull and not worry about it!)

Boats are a lot of work OR a lot of money when it comes to upkeep.
133bhp
First Officer

Post by 133bhp »

Interesting product test someone taken the time to do properly... one winner - so far

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.ph ... light=nano
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

Boats are a lot of work. We spent the last few days, first sanding boat sides with 1000 grit wet sandpaper, then using 3M rubbing compound and a buffer, and finally today finished up one side with 3M restorer and wax using a buffer. There is now some shine to one side of the boat. We tried a small area with the 3M marine ultra performance paste wax but got a better shine with the restorer and wax. Most likely because we have never done this. Maybe because there was still some oxidation, all I know is it looks a 1000% better now than 2 days ago. If I had not already bought the 3M months ago would have tried the New Glass or the Fleet wax if I could find some waxers. First time sanding, compounding, and waxing a boat so have no idea what is best. I haven't even waxed a vehicle in the last 25 years. That buffer has kicked my ah butt. :| Will be taking aleve tonight.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Funny :D

Ray
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

Indeed this topic has been covered extensively. I posted an extensive review of Newglass2 starting last July and posted results periodically until late Nov '15 before I put the boat back in the warehouse for the winter.
With the exception of Colinite I have run the gamut of marine waxes and a few automotive. I always used a consistent application baseline of power wash, hand scrub with detergent, power buff and polish with random orbital buffers (4in and 7in) using 3m marine buffing compounds. Then final application of various waxes throughout the year, Maguiars, 3M, and Starbrite. All of the marine wax products oxidized with in 3-5 weeks and continued to full oxidation particularly the black stripes.

If you enjoy the process of polishing repeatedly every 4 weeks then I recommend the above. If not then use Newglass2. You will not achieve the initial mirror high gloss finish afforded the by a marine wax however you will have a gloss equivalent of new gelcoat with NG2.

I spoke with Newglass2 several times before I purchased the product. The NG2 CSR emphasized several key points with regard to application.
1. Clean the surface with soap and water
2. Use soft scrub to clean, scrub, and remove dirt, stains, old wax. I used my power buffer to speed the process using soft scrub and water mix. You do not have polish to a shine just remove old wax and dirt. NG2 coating will provide the gloss shine.
3. Thoroughly wash and rinse surface to remove all soft scrub cutting compound from the surface. Wipe down to dry.
4. Wipe on Newglass2 with applicator 4-6 coats. Apply vertically, then horizontally, then at 45' angles, then finish with one vertical and one horizontal.

The Newglass2 CSR stated to me that NG2 chemically bonds to the fiberglass whereas wax mechanically bonds to the glass. With NG2 you actually build the surface thickness with repeated applications. Depending on your latitude and sun exposure you can maintain the surface with an occasional 1-2 coat application 6-12mos. With consideration for the gloss when I put the boat in storage I anticipate a touch up of 1-2 coats mid season. No more oxidation and progressive removal of my gelcoat.
mallardjusted
First Officer
Location: Puget Sound, 2001 Sold Oct2021 "Aqua Dawg", 70hp Yam

Post by mallardjusted »

I wonder how that Newglass2 compares to Polyglow? I know personally that Polyglow was the worst thing I ever tried! Looked good for one season. When I finally stripped it off it was a humongous job!!!!

The last couple years I use a good cleaner on the black stripes, wipe a thin coat of Penetrol on and then wipe the excess off. Put carnuba-based wax on and buff. Some day I'd like to paint those stripes!
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

I spoke with NG2 tech support at length about application after I received my kit. Considering all the time I wasted polishing and waxing I did not need to spend more time with equally short term results. What I learned in conversation is the NG2 products was developed before Polyglow. For what it's worth Polyglow is a chemical clone of NG2. Polyglow and NG2 are essentially the same product chemically. The primary difference as explained to me is viscosity. Since I have never used Polyglow I cannot offer a direct comparison based on experience. I can relate what was discussed and how I believe viscosity affects performance of NG2.
NG2 is formulated at a much lower viscosity than Polyglow. The negative of low viscosity is you have to apply 4-6 coats to achieve a gloss finish. Whereas I understand Polyglow is higher viscosity requiring less coats. The negative of high viscosity is controlling film thickness and streaking due overlap from the applicator. I found NG2's low viscosity very easy to control during application. As posted previously I applied 6 coats, vertical, X pattern, then horizontal. The end result was no noticeable streaks or overlap build up. I was very concerned about yellowing due to UV exposure. I placed a piece of black adhere vinyl on the hull as a control patch before application. After application I removed the tape. The color difference is barely discernable. I have another patch which I intend to remove after 1yr.
I bumped a dock late last fall and scratched the hull so I power buffed thru the NG2 and buffed out the minor scratch. I could not see any significant color difference between the fresh buffed gelcoat and the NG2 polished area.

This spring I will be starting my next 6 month cycle and plan to update the results.

I do recommend you call the NG2 customer service for their viewpoint.
Erik Hardtle
First Officer

Post by Erik Hardtle »

Go with NewGlass 2... I have seen what polyglow does to a boat... don't do it!

Here are some links to ployglow and newglass2 threads:
(oh, I just ordered my yearly supply of newglass2... been using it since 2004)

My favorite link: http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... =9&t=20697

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... =+newglass

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the 3M restorer & wax myself. Not as young as I used to be. :)
ris wrote:Boats are a lot of work. We spent the last few days, first sanding boat sides with 1000 grit wet sandpaper, then using 3M rubbing compound and a buffer, and finally today finished up one side with 3M restorer and wax using a buffer. There is now some shine to one side of the boat. We tried a small area with the 3M marine ultra performance paste wax but got a better shine with the restorer and wax. Most likely because we have never done this. Maybe because there was still some oxidation, all I know is it looks a 1000% better now than 2 days ago. If I had not already bought the 3M months ago would have tried the New Glass or the Fleet wax if I could find some waxers. First time sanding, compounding, and waxing a boat so have no idea what is best. I haven't even waxed a vehicle in the last 25 years. That buffer has kicked my ah butt. :| Will be taking aleve tonight.
Last edited by dlandersson on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

THE STUFF THAT HAS MY PEA BRAIN STUMPED IS THE "WOODY WAX" - WHAAAT?? I GOT IT BUT CAN'T SEE IT'S BENEFIT :( I AM DUMB!

The guy at West Marine told me it's the best stuff in the world for "non-skid" - :? So I assume he means the rough checkerboard surface on top of the deck - I tried some and it just seemed oily and greasy to me

What am I doing wrong??

Can someone tell me what "Woody Wax" is for?