Replacement Trailer Axle for 2008 MacM

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
drams_1999
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Replacement Trailer Axle for 2008 MacM

Post by drams_1999 »

Good morning Folks,

So I just got a quote from the kind folks at TrailerPartsDepot, but I am not sure if they are going to provide me with an axle to meet my needs. It seems to be sourced from a different company and I doubt the attachment points to the trailer frame are going to line up. This means I will have to drill holes. The price seems right but I would rather find original components and don't know where to get them from.

Can you guys recommend a U.S. source for good galvanized torsion axles with the spindle trailing arms and hubs already installed? I need one for my original aluminum 2008 MACM trailer and would prefer the original manufacturer, albeit perhaps with a higher load capacity and higher anti-corrosion resistance than OEM.

The one they have offered me is made by Dexter, with 4200lbs capacity, zero degrees start angle, and galvanized coating.

My old axle rusted away in spite of my best efforts to rinse it after each use since new. She lasted 9 years with a good dunking in salt water every 3 to 4 weeks year round.

Your help and thoughts are appreciated, as always! :macm:
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Replacement Trailer Axle for 2008 MacM

Post by Tomfoolery »

Well, BWY sells the axle for that trailer. http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/9802-1m3.htm

Dexter makes a good axle, but do be careful about getting the right length, since there is no adjustment for that, and the angles that mount to the frame have to have the right spacing.
drams_1999
Chief Steward

Post by drams_1999 »

Thanks Tom.

I called BWY and they no longer are in the axle business. They referred me to local trailer service centers.

I have the exact dimensions of the original. I took it off and its sitting on my slab by itself, so I have all the exact measurements. Just need to know where I can get the replacement assembly. I want to replace the whole thing, hub-to-hub. The only things I will re-use are the brakes, rims, and tires.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

I think but can't be sure that the OEM axle was a UFP, like the coupler. UFP is now owned by Dexter, which may explain why you were quoted a Dexter.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/ufp/products/ ... b-capacity
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

It's been a few years, but I got mine from http://www.sixrobblees.com
They looked up the serial number and were able to get the exact same one so I could add a second axle on my 2008 AL trailer. Mine was approx $500.

Tom may have a point, if Dexter bought them, this might be the new replacement.

Drilling holes isn't hard. Even I could do it.
Spector
First Officer

Post by Spector »

I gave my serial number of my axle to UFP (Dexter) and they made an exact duplicate when I went to dual axles. I went thru a local dealer, Serial number is stamped on a plate on the tube.
geminiI-Can
Just Enlisted

Post by geminiI-Can »

Gemini has been putting on weight over the years as we all seem to do. My original axle on 2010 aluminum trailer looked bowed under the weight so I replaced my stock axle with a 5200 lb axle. I had to replace everything from tires on down to higher specs. Six Robblees Seattle was great. I understand your frustrations trying to get a new axle that will just bolt on. Well this one does. Friend and I installed at boat ramp in a couple hours while boat was in marina. A little on the heavy side but supported on a couple jacks, bolted on easily with a couple large wrenches.

1. UFP 46129-3 5200 lbs torsion beam only, HF=88.00, OB=70.00 brackets=0" for I-beam, straight, galvanized, trailing arms not installed (surprisingly heavy needs 2 people to lift)
2. UFP U41016L disk brake end unit left (ready to bolt on to end of axle spindle, w/ 6 bolt hub, brake & trailer buddy grease)
3. UFP U 41016R disk brake end unit right (as above)
4. LTW Y819210 st225/75R15655GM LRE wheels with load range E tires - I bought 3 so I have a spare.
Total price was a little less than $1400
It took a little while as the axle has to be made to order but definitely worth the wait. No more waddle flexing. Towing is much more relaxed.
I hope this helps.
Rick
MacGregor Yacht Club of British Columbia
Www.mycbc.ca