Bow Pulpit Crack in Stainless Steel Tubing 26M

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
MinnMac
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Bow Pulpit Crack in Stainless Steel Tubing 26M

Post by MinnMac »

My 2006 Mac has a 4 inch vertical crack on one side of the bow pulpit tubes. It is about 1/4 inch thick, and the tubing of course is now bigger in diameter over this area. Have no idea how it happened, as it was like that when I purchased the boat from the boat yard. Don't want to spend $460 from BWY to purchase a new bow pulpit. Any ideas of how to fix this? I thought of using stainless hose clamps, then wrapping them in fiberglass tape to cover the sharp edges. It is on one of the vertical tubes that connects to the deck about 1/3 of the way up the tube. Of course I am worried about this being a "weak link" in the bow pulpit, and if I could splint it with some sort of pipe patch that would help, just not sure how. Thanks.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Bow Pulpit Crack in Stainless Steel Tubing 26M

Post by NiceAft »

Once you decide your course of repair, how confident will you be with leaning on the pulpit, or with with anyone exerting pressure on the pulpit? I understand about not wanting to spend boat bucks for something that always is expected to not fail. A new pulpit might give peace of mind that a repair might never produce. How much is that worth?

Ray
Cougar
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Cougar »

I figure it would cost less to have a new piece of tubing welded in professionally than replacing the entire pulpit.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

The welded in repair may be stronger than the original tubing if done properly.

I’m curating the second restoration of a 1958 Turner 950 sports car that I once restored as a youth. Through several owners subsequent to me the frame became badly damaged in accidents. The restoration shop ended up having to cut off part of the main long tubes and replace them with new. They machined a sleeve tube to fit tightly inside the original and replacement tubes, welded that in place, and then welded the new tube to the old one with a butt joint. It’s now far stronger than the original at that join.

Recent frame repair:

Showing off the restored car, age 22 (that’s me in the cap)...

As found, 2019 (at my age, 63)...

Don T
Admiral
Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)

Post by Don T »

Hello,
I would straighten the tube and tig weld the crack unless it cracked for imperfection reasons then I would do as kmclemore suggests. You will find that the life line and pulpit stanchions already have the next size smaller tube welded to the plates inside going up about 6"~8."

My .02
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

i wish i knew how to weld . . . :( :(
MinnMac

Post by MinnMac »

Thanks for the advice! I contacted an excellent welder I know and he will do the job for me as soon as the snow melts. I'll post before and after picts when it's done. I agree, should be stronger than the original!