Backstay and Cars?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Backstay and Cars?

Post by dlandersson »

I just sat in on a very interesting sailing seminar talk in Michigan City.

Apparently the backstay can be used to adjust tension on the forestay - I've been pretty much ignoring the backstay. :cry:

Apparently moving the port/starboard Cars forward and back can help adjust the Jib/Genoa? - I've been pretty much leaving them in one spot for 8+ years.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Backstay and Cars?

Post by Tomfoolery »

Moving the cars forward takes some of the twist out of the jib/genoa. Think of it like stepping on the accelerator - forward is more power, back is less.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Back also allows you to sail closer to the wind. :wink:
Tomfoolery wrote:Moving the cars forward takes some of the twist out of the jib/genoa. Think of it like stepping on the accelerator - forward is more power, back is less.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Tomfoolery wrote:Moving the cars forward takes some of the twist out of the jib/genoa. Think of it like stepping on the accelerator - forward is more power, back is less.
Back in my racing days, I was taught that you moved the cars back the stronger the wind, and correspondingly, as the wind slacked off, the cars were rigged farther forward. All about getting the best shape for the jib given the wind strength. Changes were made, if needed, when tacking, if at all possible.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

The seminar was primarily about racing with a crew and getting every possible inch of speed/performance - not something X's are generally noted for. :P
Herschel wrote:
Back in my racing days, I was taught that you moved the cars back the stronger the wind, and correspondingly, as the wind slacked off, the cars were rigged farther forward. All about getting the best shape for the jib given the wind strength. Changes were made, if needed, when tacking, if at all possible.
Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis »

For lake sailors: I assume that backing up the cars could allow to catch the wind higher above the water level, if the flow of air is broken by the shores. Does that seem correct?
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

No, nothing was said about "catching wind higher above water level" 8)
Alexis wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:34 am For lake sailors: I assume that backing up the cars could allow to catch the wind higher above the water level, if the flow of air is broken by the shores. Does that seem correct?
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

dlandersson wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:57 am No, nothing was said about "catching wind higher above water level" 8)
Alexis wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:34 am For lake sailors: I assume that backing up the cars could allow to catch the wind higher above the water level, if the flow of air is broken by the shores. Does that seem correct?
If anything, moving the cars back would allow more twist in the sail, spilling air from the top. The opposite of what you’d want if wind is sparse.