is this forum for "trailers & towing" only or can we talk about tow vehicles?

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

is this forum for "trailers & towing" only or can we talk about tow vehicles?

Post by BOAT »

many "mods" done over the past 9 month on the "tow vehicle" - is that a fair subject to post on or must it be about the 'trailer' only or 'towing' only? :?
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Re: is this forum for "trailers & towing" only or can we talk about tow vehicles?

Post by Hamin' X »

I will assume that you will be "Towing" with your "tow vehicle", so... 8)
BOAT wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:37 pm many "mods" done over the past 9 month on the "tow vehicle" - is that a fair subject to post on or must it be about the 'trailer' only or 'towing' only? :?
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: is this forum for "trailers & towing" only or can we talk about tow vehicles?

Post by Tomfoolery »

I don’t see why not. We have in the past.

If memory serves, you have an older T1N diesel Sprinter serving as the main tow vehicle, and a new last year black Grand Cherokee (Darth Vader) as grocery getter and backup tow vehicle. Making a change?

https://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/ ... 11&t=21259

https://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/ ... 11&t=27076
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

I have always been curious about people who tow their boats with a motorhome or camper. Darth Vader does a great job towing 'BOAT' but there is something really convenient about using a motorhome as a tow vehicle but I have not run into anyone doing that with a sailboat - only small ski boats or fishing boats. Which is better at the launch ramps and so forth.

I put some mods into the Sprinter that would be great in 'BOAT'.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

BOAT: Was that Just a "teaser", or are you going to show us some of those mods?

My normal ramp is too tight for anything other than a very small motor home - van based or truck camper. It's actually a sailboat challenge with overhead power lines skirting the perimeter of the parking/pullout area. Gotta keep your head in the game or...

Seems like a big motorhome would be nice for pulling down the highway, but might be inconvenient at the ramp in most places.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Is it okay to post mods to the tow vehicle? that's what I have been doing all winter - mods to 'boat' tow vehicle - are those mods allowed?

I don't want to get in trouble - I'm still on troll house arrest
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

If you think they would cross-over to your M, I would think they would be appropriate. What did you do to get the ankle bracelet?
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

We have been looking at MHomes for some time. East of the Miss. River most states limit length overall at 60ft. West of the Miss. most states allow up to 65ft LOA. That leaves the MHome range between 26-30ft. My M is 34ft hitch to motor LOA. Then you have to hand pick the ramps with enough room to handle your turn radius. We are still looking for a MH to do the inside Great Loop. All the major reservoirs and lakes of the USA. I'm still stuck on the difference in manufacturing quality between marine and motor home mfg's. The RV industry reviews are shocking.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Well. it started here with 2 misconduct charges with a suspended sentence. But, before that I had a pretty extensive history as a career offender on various news and government websites for evasion/eluding a moderator, destruction of image hosted property, and criminal mischief, (so I accused a former Attorney General of accepting a bribe at a Phoenix airport - whoop dee doo - for that I get shadow banned?) I pleaded down to 3 counts of insult with intent to embarrass a webmaster and got a 3 year suspended sentence.

The day I was released i violated probation by driving my van across state lines to get copies of a pirated Aduindo Auto Pilot program for a bootleg Uno R3 processor and posted the hack on a sailboat website i am prevented from identifying because of the NDA i signed as part of my parole agreement. On that one I got 6 months on remand while waiting to be sentenced and was given 2 years and was paroled after only 2 months, but I had to plead guilty to 2nd degree trolling by complicity. Lets just say the website had the initials S.A. (I am not allowed there either - a life sentence). I was suspected of 13 trolling violations in a five state area, the real number was higher.

Finally, I got caught insulting a moderator here and put on house arrest.

I am trying to straighten out my life. I think I'm getting better. I'm taking my meds and checking in regularly Like I am supposed to.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Okay, so I guess i scared everyone off - Hey Guys! It's a joke! Get it? (You know a joke, right?)

Ugh, I figured you guys knew me by now - a little creative writing to entertain the troops? ANYWAYS . . I am doing the Sprinter Van named BULBASOR that has been towing 'boat' since day one with all marine grade equipment. The wire is all marine duplex and triplex too - even shore power.

A solar powered WIFI camera along with a new wind instrument is mounting on the mast arch connected to special cameras installed for dealing with the launch ramp and the wide swing open doors on the back of BULBASOR allow me to walk right from the drivers seat to the winch and right up the ladder onto 'BOAT' without getting my topsiders wet.

Lightweight Counter tops that look like marble are being made (by ME) and if they work well can be created for 'BOAT' too.

Man - you guys are a tough crowd.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Sorry - still here - think it is hilarious. Just busy helping my neighbor with an old truck he's building. Didn't mean to leave you feeling all alone.

I believe we have discussed galleys before and I really enjoyed your hot water mod. We are of like mind regarding keeping weight to a minimum if I remember correctly. I haven't had a chance to really get my head into my galley rebuild yet, but I'm definitely interested in reworking the sink and counter area. I want to add plate/bowl/cup/mug storage, silverware storage, cutlery storage, and pot/pan storage. Basically, I want to have a usable galley. Also, I kind of like the idea of a gimbal cook top. I'd enjoy seeing what you have in mind for the lightweight countertops. That is one of my areas of concern.

Actually, I enjoy all of your mods. Can't wait for the next installment.

We're getting close to the point where I won't be as involved in the truck build. Family stuff is going to be in a short lull, so maybe I'll get some boat stuff done. Installed my quick release steering kit and Spinnaker hound that I got for Christmas, but haven't done much since.
Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Post by Y.B.Normal »

Jimmyt,
Did you have any trouble aligning your motor to your rudders with the quick disconnect link? Mine is a few degrees off. I'm not sure if I should bend the stainless connector that goes from the rudder arm to the quick disconnect link in order to get the needed adjustment.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

YB:
Not meaning to hi-jack the thread, but sort of. I could align the rudders with the motor, but that does not leave the motor exactly centered when it's on the "stationary" connection bolted to the boat. I'm trying to decide whether to cut the bracket and modify it, or fill/redrill the mounting hole in the boat. Short term, I figure it's better to align it with the rudders and have it a little off when in the stationary connection.
Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster »

BOAT wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:10 am [...snip!]

Man - you guys are a tough crowd.
I can assure you Boat, that you and your inspired mods are among the chief reasons I check in here from time to time. Carry on, mate. Let that freak flag fly!
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Resurrecting an old thread on vehicles with a Tow-Beast report on our new Pathfinder...it's been a year and several road trips.

The Pathfinder is far from being a beast, or a truck, but for us it is the perfect tow vehicle:
7 passengers
2-wheel drive for highway
All-wheel drive for launching
4-wheel lock for beach-launching
Incredible fuel economy. On a recent round trip (no boat) from Montreal to Lake George we averaged 26.7mpg, loaded with 5 people and luggage for five days. Towing the boat, loaded for a long trip, we average about 17mpg. The old Durango would average 11.5mpg towing and maybe 17 without the boat.
6,000 lb. towing capacity, so legal to tow even the most heavily loaded 26X.

It's like driving a big station-wagon. I actually describe it to my friends as a big bag of OK: nothing is incredible about it, neither looks nor performance, but everything is OK. There are a bunch of things that Nissan did right, and also several that are just stupid (a 14" passenger-side wiper, really, Nissan?, did you have someone sit in the passenger side during testing and look through all that un-wiped windshield?), but overall we are really happy with it. It's also super-affordable in terms of purchase price W.R.T. the average tow-vehicle. Lower first cost, lower operating cost, and all the convenience and ability that we need. For us, it is a home-run.