Mac 222

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
maxarm905
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Mac 222

Post by maxarm905 »

Recently picked up a 222 for next to nothing. I have to make a new rudder and tiller for it since it did not come with one. My question is , would a kick up rudder worth the while for will a fixed one piece do the trick.
topcat0399
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 2-24

Re: Mac 222

Post by topcat0399 »

It really depends on the depth of the waters you plan to frequent.

In the often skinny waters I sail in the kick up rudder is an absolute necessity...
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

The big dagger rudder on the stern of my Aquarius 7.0 slid up and down on a long stainless rod. You could pull it up and cleat it for skinny water and loading on the trailer. BUT, when hitting the bottom, it would bend that rod, which caused me to straighten and sometimes replace it. A real PITA.

If it were me, and I was making a new rudder, I’d do a kick-up version in a heartbeat. For any boat with such a stern mounted dagger. :wink:
LoHo
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Post by LoHo »

There are well-made kick up rudders for sale. The original rudder is not all that great, very heavy and not especially well shaped. I am contemplating spending the $900 for new rudder to put on my $900 boat.
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

I would check ebay & craigslist for something used. Find something close in size and modify it as necessary. Would be quicker and probably less expensive than building.