IS THIS POST GOING TO POT?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

IS THIS POST GOING TO POT?

Post by BOAT »

POTTY actually - is this post going to the potty - I have a question about the potty:

:P

I suppose this is sort of a poll: what kind of potty do you have in the head??

I ask because I am getting a new porto potty and I am considering something other than the tried and true thetford products that have served me so well in my RV's. In some ruff weather the thetford tipped over and broke - ! :?

So, what brand of porto do you use?? model? I know many have marine heads and some have compost heads but those two options are not really avail to me although your welcome to comment on them here - mostly I wanted to know which porto potty is being used the most more marine use by you guys.

TANKS :D
mac n cheese
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: IS THIS POST GOING TO POT?

Post by mac n cheese »

I can't comment for the :macm: however my only complaint for the :macx: is that it sits too low on the floor.

I assume this is the :macx: original in the pic :?: Its been adequate for a couple over nighters we've done and a long day of fishing.

So yes....a taller one would be my recommendation. The King and Queen need their throne. :)
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

That's what I have. Works fine, is strapped to the floor, low height gives more head room. 8)
mac n cheese wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:17 pm I can't comment for the :macm: however my only complaint for the :macx: is that it sits too low on the floor.

I assume this is the :macx: original in the pic :?: Its been adequate for a couple over nighters we've done and a long day of fishing.

So yes....a taller one would be my recommendation. The King and Queen need their throne. :)
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

mac n cheese wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:17 pm I can't comment for the :macm: however my only complaint for the :macx: is that it sits too low on the floor.

That looks like the small holding tank version. There is also a large tank Thetford, which sits much taller. I replaced mine with the MSD version, but used the small tank. I wasn't thinking. But by using the original tall hoops for the hold down clamps, I made a spacer to put the seat height back to where the big tank version was.

I never use it, so I don't care, but certain others do, so seat height is a consideration for keeping the crew happy.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

This is becoming a crappy post subject !
nice to see the site back up & running
now back to a better subject I think it,s now Scotch & Miller time :P

J
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Well, I agree! and since John brought it up (get it? 8) "John" - :P you know - like Toilet=john? . . . :( Ok, so it's a lousy joke .

ANYWAYS , ,

I myself DID have issues with the seat height on the potty - and the potties with the really small holding tank are indeed low to the ground but in the M boat there is this stupid "shelf" that the potty goes on so the small tank version is the ONLY one you CAN use or your head will hit the window. And that damn "shelf" is too small for a proper toilet! :?

So I got rid of it:

Now I have a potty that can hold lots of crap and it sits on the floor square and can be moved around if needed and I don't need to worry about it falling off the "shelf".

So, even though this is a crappy post I got mad because hardly anyone answered me when I asked them about their pot so I just decided to fix it myself with no ideas from YOU GUYS and that's what I ended up with.

So, THERE.
MYCBC Commodore

Post by MYCBC Commodore »

Gentlemen, I would like to propose a better solution. We have had the C-Head Composting toilet on our :macm: for the last 5 years. No smells and most importantly no "SPLASH BACK" when emptying. We (Admiral and I) have spent 15 days in Desolation Sound without having to deal with the solids and just dumping the 1 gal (milk jug) container of pee into the nearest outhouse, porta-pottie dump or the open ocean.
I did not even have to vent the system. The only smell ever is the nice odor of the peat in the solids container. Highlander, I believe that peat "nose" is an important component of the best malts from the Highlands :wink:
Check it out at http://c-head.com/
Extra benefit is that it is only half the price of the other brands that some here have purchased.
I believe they even produced a special model to fit on the step of the :macm:
Rick
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

I agree with the comment about the compost toilet and that would have been an excellent choice I thought way back 2 years ago. I was so convinced I called the owners of NAtures HEad and explained to him my "special problem" and he said that the composting toilet was not a good solution for me. I was sad about it :( so I decided the only way to get a full capacity in the head was to take out the floor ("shelf"). If your a normal person I recommend the composter because they make one custom just for the M boat and it eliminates the need for pump outs and is approved by all the environmental restrictions you encounter in California and Canada.

(Man, this post really is going to pot)
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

It,s down right degrading to b using good peat moss for such usage , now if they were really smart they,d use the peat that was already used for makin the Malt whiskey now ur schitt head would smell a lot better u,d come out half cut & feel a lot better & if u read a book while in there u,d likely just stagger out & they,d sell a lot more of them ! schitter,s :D :D :D :D

Just sayin that,s all J 8)
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

Have used the Natures' Head composting toilet for 16 months full time on the boat and another 9 months in our cargo camping trailer. We use coconut fiber instead of peat-moss. The peat is messy and bulky. You can buy 9 compressed coconut fiber bricks for around $15 which will last over 5 months for us.
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

So how many flushes doe,s one brick equal !! :) :) :)

J :P
Bobglas
First Officer

Post by Bobglas »

Nature's head moved in front of the shelf. Door removed and curtain stretched across the beam. Peat pre loaded into capped coffee cups and stored in a small kitchen trash can that sits on the shelf. Aside from dumping the pee unloading solids once every three months. Very happy w/ this set up.
Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell »

Will second the C head endorsement w/o the vent. Wife loves it. No smell. We use the peat.
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

We are switching to the CHead. Simple design, auger looks to turn the contents of the chamber with no corner dead spots. Less cost. There are numerous articles on all the composting heads. Most people are very satisfied. Full time cruisers recommend baking the peat or cocoa to kill of insects. Adding a low voltage 12v computer fan to provide fresh air (O2) accelerates the composting. I may order just the components and build a custom surround to fit the M shelf. I emailed CHead and they recommend the 'Shorty' as the base is 18" front to back.

http://c-head.com/on-the-water/
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

this is the crappiest post I ever started.