Lubrication point on axle?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Jwnj
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Lubrication point on axle?

Post by Jwnj »

Guys, does anyone know what this is on the inside of the hub/brake assembly? Is it another point to lubricate with marine lube or its something for brake bleeding/filling? (1998 26x steel trailer) It looks to be very close to brake line. Asking because i lubed the normal way and still have noise when driving so before i take the whole thing apart would be good to know
Jwnj
Deckhand

Re: Lubrication point on axle?

Post by Jwnj »

1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by 1st Sail »

FYI it appears the link is not set to public access as it require a 'request access".
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

The fitting that you are referring to is the brake bleeder valve. The only lube points on the axle/hubs are the wheel bearings.

~Rich
Jwnj
Deckhand

Post by Jwnj »

I unlocked the image link. Pretty sure its a bleeder for surge brake just didnt realize the surge brake was such a complex system but i guess a brake is a brake. Anyone know the weight at which surge brakes are required?
Jwnj
Deckhand

Post by Jwnj »

Thanks Rich juat saw your reply
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Jwnj wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:45 am Anyone know the weight at which surge brakes are required?
The threshold for brakes varies by State. Even the number of trailer axles that require brakes, when there are two or more axles, varies by State - NY only requires brakes on one axle when brakes are required, but I believe Maryland requires them on all axles, for instance.

I don't believe any State differentiates between electric, electro-hydraulic, or hydraulic (surge) brakes. Not any more, at least.

Here's just one of many sites that list brake requirements by State. The frequent mention of "independent" brakes is a throw-back to where surge brakes wouldn't be allowed in some instances. The Federal DOT requirements and the State requirements have since been aligned so surge brakes are allowed everywhere. It was a problem for places like U-Haul, where they supply trailers with surge brakes that can work on any tow vehicle, but they couldn't be independently controlled from the cab like in a tractor-trailer (trolley brake lever) or a tow vehicle pulling a trailer with straight electric brakes (brake controller in the cab). I don't remember the details any more, but those requirements, which almost certainly were intended for semi-trailers with air brakes originally, have been reconciled not that long ago.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/