Need advise on rigging new jib

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
JCPH3
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Need advise on rigging new jib

Post by JCPH3 »

:macm: Recently purchased a new jib and will be running it up my cdi 2 furler this saturday. Any tips, tricks potential pitfalls would be appreciated.
Thx, John
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Need advise on rigging new jib

Post by Interim »

tie a messenger line to the end of your halyard, so you can pull it to hoist the sail. The halyard is about the length of the forestay, not double the length.

--john
John Christian
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: 2007 26M "Pamela Jean" White Hull#1862, Suzkuki DF 70, Brest Bay Marina, Lake Erie

Post by John Christian »

Thx john, also tie a good knot so it doesnt come undone 12 feet off the deck. Thank god for telescoping boat hooks.
Also sails dont neccasarily come out of the bag right side up.
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim »

We were able to put our boat back in last weekend, after being out for six weeks due to local flooding. When we hoisted the genoa on the CDI FF2, the clew was about 6 inches too low and left the sail a little baggy at the bottom. After a few minutes of puzzlement, I realized that I had tied on to the head a bit too close. My "efficient" bowline hadn't taken enough line, so the head was left lower on the furler and thus the problem at the bottom.

The ferule requires adjustments to be made at the top, rather than the bottom. So we have to drop the sail and re-tie.

Agreed on the importance of a good knot. I really want to use a sheet bend to connect the messenger line, but I have more trust in interconnected bowlines.

--john