Air conditioner in the laz

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

danphilgreen
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Air conditioner in the laz

Post by danphilgreen » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:25 pm

I have a '90 26S, "Goldilocks." I've searched for the following and could find no discussion of it. If it exists, please excuse, but has anyone tried putting a little 5k btu window AC unit in the laz of a 26S or D by way of cutting an opening in the bulkhead between the laz and the aft berth either big enough to mount the unit like in a window or by way of duct work? You would have to keep the laz hatch open when using it but I'm thinking it would be out of the way and out of sight and could be a permanent-style installation. Might even be able to fit it in or toward that hard to use space under the motor well. Condensate would go into the bilge. (I already have a bilge pump back there) What am I not thinking of?

By the way I've been doing a lot of woodwork on my boat lately. Photos of these and other mods are documented in a Facebook photo album that has been made "Public":

https://www.facebook.com/dan.philgreen/ ... 899&type=3

buck_justice
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Air conditioner in the laz

Post by buck_justice » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:25 pm

I have considered this, but my thought was to only put the condenser coil, compressor and fan motor in the Laz. Effectively cutting the unit in half. That way you only need to cut small holes for the freon lines and fan shaft.
But for my application, I think that a RV roof top unit mounted on the fwd hatch with a 12 volt DC compressor is the best option. The fans are DC already. And some units are ducted.
I have a buddy who runs his 5000btu unit all night with two 12 volt batteries and an inverter. With a DC compressor you could eliminate the inverter. Classic cars use a similar ducted system mounted in the trunk, so as to not to spoil the original appearance of the car.
Buck

Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:23 pm

That is a clever idea. I don't have an S so I can't offer any advice.

I did check out your photo album and your mods are VERY impressive. Your woodworking skills are amazing. I've always thought these boats are so sterile (Clorox Bottle).

Your boat looks so nice.

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:28 am

Having a complete indifference to Facebook (not on it), but loving this site, how about posting some of those pics here?

Ray