Where is everyone?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Where is everyone?

Post by kurz »

rsvpasap wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:33 am Candidly, I expect users, especially long-time users, are frustrated they have invested untold hours, 250,000 posts and hundreds of mods, only to have it all just abandoned. This board helped sustain the value of this boats themselves by sustaining interest in their unique qualities. The thing that made this site special and worthwhile was the "Mods" section. As it currently exists, it is just a conversation based "bulletin board," i.e., basically the same thing as facebook. If anyone has any any interest in reviving this site, they will need to revive the mods.
100% right!

What can we do to revitalisize this site?

Or where are the others gone?
Has another Mac forum startet and all know... but not me? :D
Spector
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Spector »

The number one thing that could be done to help this site is to give to someone one cares about it! Shameful what has transpired here. No excuses.

The people that have been around a while are trying to hang in but its been probably a month or more since I visited last. New users give it a try and give up with a big "whatever" of frustration and move on to FB. I hate FB because the same stuff comes up over and over again but its where its happening.

Only one reason for all this. Apathy on the part of the site. Give it away, its not worth anything anymore anyway
FishyFabs
Chief Steward

Post by FishyFabs »

I stopped visiting the site because the home page did not show the most recent posts. Only today, thanks to this post, did I realized it is hidden in the quick links.

Can we pls make the active topics the home page or get it shown on the move page?

I love this site...let us keep it going.
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

On the Ohio River anchored in the Little Blue River. Should be on Lake Barkley at Green Turtle Bay in 4 or 5 days.
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

Ris,
Love your tongue in cheek reply.....
But the fact remains that the old feeling we all had of love for this whole forum of MacGregor aficionados is gone, or at least damaged. I used to read the posts several times a day with great interest. Now, I come here a few times a month.
Maybe nothing lasts forever, but I miss the old days when interest in this site was on fire.
I refuse to join Facebook so I can't follow the crowd there. "sigh..."
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

I’m
Still around. I don’t post as much when my boats out of the water. I am no longer on FB. However posting random photos or video here is a pita. That is one of the main reasons why this site is lagging in my opinion. I am aware of the reasons why this site does not allow direct posts of images. Maybe the site could be some how linked to Instagram, Twitter or some other mobile picture sharing app. I just quit using the tiny pic site. I have lots of interesting pictures I might post on the spur of the moment. I just added three layers of fiberglass to the fordeck of my boat. This spring I went to a bunch of places in the keys. I had new cushions made etc. some of those pictures I posted to different places or just didn’t bother, but no one here saw them that’s for sure.

Ixnay
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

Ixneigh wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:24 pm ...However posting random photos or video here is a pita. That is one of the main reasons why this site is lagging in my opinion....
Ixnay
All of that may change in the near future. Again, stay tuned.... with any luck, the forum may have a new and more enhanced life. That's all I can say for now, but keep your fingers crossed. I'm working hard to ensure a healthy future for the forum.

-Kevin
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

Kevin,
We, who are still fans, salute you!
Johnacuda
Engineer

Post by Johnacuda »

kmclemore wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:02 am
Ixneigh wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:24 pm ...However posting random photos or video here is a pita. That is one of the main reasons why this site is lagging in my opinion....
Ixnay
All of that may change in the near future. Again, stay tuned.... with any luck, the forum may have a new and more enhanced life. That's all I can say for now, but keep your fingers crossed. I'm working hard to ensure a healthy future for the forum.

-Kevin
Need any help? 30 years in IT, and I retired less than a year ago.
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

congratulations! cool people here that have the right skills and are willing to help !!! Great!
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

Johnacuda wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:54 am Need any help? 30 years in IT, and I retired less than a year ago.
Thanks! Actually, I also have +30 years in IT (former IBM Senior Consulting SE and later Global Dir of Tech at a large pharma)... but it's not me who would be doing all this - there's no way I'd have the time. My job is simply to find a long-term solution to ownership which leads to the best maintenance. I've done what I can for now and I'm now awaiting word from the participants.
Bobglas
First Officer

Post by Bobglas »

I'm still here! W/out this site isolation would play havoc w/ my mind. I'm no where near water! :macm: :cry:
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

dear kmclemore, and others.....

It seems that times have changed, that's almost all the problem.
After being inactive on this site for a long time, I tried hard last week to post some stuff and only got a couple of responses from some other die hards that want better times for this site.
I remember the time someone could post the single word, "blue", and immediately get 20 animated responses, plusses-negative-funny.
Those days are gone it is true.
Although I do not belong to Facebook, and never will, I went there today to read the Mac posts. Yes, lots of pics, but it is not close to what we used to have here on this forum. I was not impressed with Mac Facebook at all.
So, what to do?
Two suggestions-
1. Pick one and promote an easy photo uploading tool like my other thread does, or go to the unrewarding? task of adding software to do it here yourself. Easy photos are a must.
2. Imperative! to get back the old default master forum display that showed at a glance the most recent 10 posts in all the forums. Really. You had it and now it is gone.

So, that's my 2 cents. Times have changed, just do your best. A big change if ownership of this site is not the answer. Going all glitzy is not the answer. Just my two suggestions are important. (ha, no reason at this point to be modest)
kmclemore, you and others there are the best! Just tweak it or twerk it and get on with it and stop fretting about what used to be.... Those days are gone....
I, like some one just posted, NEED my Mac fix often.
Duquette5
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Post by Duquette5 »

opie wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:14 am dear kmclemore, and others.....

<snip>

I, like some one just posted, NEED my Mac fix often.
Umm Windoze is betterer.
JamieJune

Post by JamieJune »

I really miss browsing the Mods section. It's been down for so long and I'm sure members have new mods they could add. I got so many ideas from that page. Hope it comes back some day. FB...??? NEVER!!! -Jamie