Mac (Venture) 22 Bunk Boards

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
chipveres
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 22

Mac (Venture) 22 Bunk Boards

Post by chipveres »

Ladies & Gents:

Under my Mac 22, two pieces of 2 x 6 run longwise near the axle of the trailer. Right now, they are curved nicely to fit the boat. But she is sitting way low on the trailer and other parts of fiberglass are in danger of hitting steel. I suspect the nice curve is the result of age and maybe rot. Does anybody have experience replacing these? How did you do it? Are the new pieces straight or curved? TIA.
Chip V.
S/V Sand Dollar
Dania, FL
Wyb2
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Re: Mac (Venture) 22 Bunk Boards

Post by Wyb2 »

Continuing my browse through the unanswered threads. Looks like it’s been almost a year, so you probably figured it out but…

The bunks are almost certainly just off the shelf 2x6’s. I replaced my rotting ones with 2x6’s from the big box store, and they took on the curve of the hull just fine as soon as the boat was set down.

When you say other parts of the hull are almost touching steel, where? On my 25 trailer there is a cross member in front of the keel that is supposed to support the center of the hull (bottom of the V). There was originally a block of wood bolted to the cross member, I replaced it with a rubber roller. Without either of these in place, there would be probably 1” or less of clearance between the boat and steel.

The steel bits that support the bunks (plus the thickness of the bunk) should set the height of the boat. If you think the boat is riding low, the hull may be weak and pressing inward at these spots. This was happening in one spot on my boat, I had to reinforce the hull from the inside.