Checking In / First Impressions Sailing a 26M

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Piddle and Futz
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Checking In / First Impressions Sailing a 26M

Post by Piddle and Futz »

Hey all,

Just thought I'd check in, provide some thoughts, and avail myself of the collective wisdom and expertise found only here.

We bought our 2005 :macm: last September, had it transported from Virginia to Texas, worked on it through the winter and finally got title and registration worked out. From all we could tell, it had been sitting outside for a decade or so; lots of polishing and restoration. Was delighted to have revived the motor, but sails and running rigging had to be replaced.

We've had it in the water day sailing 3 times at Canyon Lake (about 30 minutes from here), twice under power only with the mast down and once with our virgin sails. Last weekend we took it out to Corpus Christi, put it in a slip and sailed 2 days (once in ~16kt winds with 4' seas and the following day in 8-10kt winds, calm seas. Installed new bunks on the trailer while we had it in the water.

Observations:
  • Our mast doesn't rotate properly. I've read through some other forum posts here and found others had issues with lubrication and fixed rigging being out of tune such that it put torque on the mast. I think our problem is the latter; will find a Loos gauge and to that work.
  • High freeboard makes the 26M hull a sail in its own right. Really touchy with crosswinds at low speed trying to come back to the trailer or slip. Just learning curve for us.
  • Lee Helm. Could be the way we have it tuned, but loosing the wheel caused the :macm: to turn downwind rather quickly. All my other boats have had a slight weather helm, which I was always told was a good safety characteristic, especially in MOB situations. Will make sure to stay on the boat. :wink:
  • Running Rigging Interference. At several points of tack, the main and jib sheets interfered quite a bit. I think this is a function of the traveler being mounted in the companionway. Wonder if others have moved/improved theirs. If I recall, the :macx: has no traveler and the main sheet connects to the helm post?
  • Sluggish Steering. I have an appreciation now for what it is to have the motor connected to the rudder steering while under sail. Will invest in the BWY quick disconnect. Is that still the recommended solution?
  • I have yet to master the Mac "bump" maneuver with the trailer. Seems to slot into the bow cushion well, but when we pull it out of the water and up the ramp that turns into 3-4 inches with no way of cranking it in. I've tried the "bump" with the winch disconnected several times but it doesn't seem to nudge the boat forward. Perhaps I am not aggressive enough. We use an extra large cargo strap just aft of the trailer axle to ensure it doesn't go anywhere. Also purchased a HF electric marine winch that I plan to mount in a better location to secure the boat on trailer.
  • Trailering is temperamental. I've had no issue taking the boat down winding roads to our local lake with my old beater pickup. We rented a newer pickup for the trip to Corpus (wanting greater reliability and A/C). The trailer suffered from quite a bit of wag and sway. The hitch height on the rental was perhaps 2" more elevated than on my truck. Driving the rental back without the trailer, I can say that it also had a more lively suspension. Open to suggestions.
All in all, the :macm: works great for us and I'm delighted in our modest investment. The admiral (with no prior sailing experience) is gleeful and I'm very happy to be back on the water after a 30 year absence. 8)

We put ours in enclosed storage out in Corpus and intend to go back every weekend we can this summer.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Checking In / First Impressions Sailing a 26M

Post by NiceAft »

I also have a 2005 :macm:

You said:
Running Rigging Interference. At several points of tack, the main and jib sheets interfered quite a bit. I think this is a function of the traveler being mounted in the companionway.
BWY sells this version rail mounted cam cleat.https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4306-1v0.htm

I have a Genoa, not a jib, so when mounted on the port & starboard Genoa tracts, the sheets will go to the cockpit without interference with the main sheet.

I have to assume that installing these on the jib tracts, you will achieve the same.

You are absolutely correct about the high freeboard. At low speeds, boards are down.

If you back into a slip, stand forward of the wheel and face the stern. You should find it easier to control the boat. You should be able to slow down and step off the boat to secure lines.

After pulling the boat out, be a little more aggressive with the bump. Your Mac should slide forward.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

[*]Our mast doesn't rotate properly. I've read through some other forum posts here and found others had issues with lubrication and fixed rigging being out of tune such that it put torque on the mast. I think our problem is the latter; will find a Loos gauge and to that work.
Typical. Stock mast came with brass washers that were not good bearings. They required the right amount of lubrication and not too much torque on the bolt. Stock simply had too much friction. I've replaced mine with thrust bearings (from BWY) and they have been great for years.
https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/3435-1m0.htm

They really aren't anything special. Thrust bearings from a hardware store are probably the same thing.

The stays should not be piano wire tight. They shouldn't sag or be loose, but also not too tight.
[*]High freeboard makes the 26M hull a sail in its own right. Really touchy with crosswinds at low speed trying to come back to the trailer or slip. Just learning curve for us.
Yes. Best practices is ballast in and all fins down. I find going too slow will lose steering and "grip" in the water and allow the wind to catch the boat.
When retrieving on the trailer, I have the dagger down and the line in my hand. As soon as the bow comes to the trailer, I pull the dagger up. I also let the rudders loose so they can kick up if they hit (which hasn't happened).
[*]Lee Helm. Could be the way we have it tuned, but loosing the wheel caused the :macm: to turn downwind rather quickly. All my other boats have had a slight weather helm, which I was always told was a good safety characteristic, especially in MOB situations. Will make sure to stay on the boat. :wink:
Yea, that's not right. Go to the resources page and download the Blue Water Yachts Manual. It has some good tips on tuning. Something isn't right.
https://macgregorsailors.com/resources.html
[*]Running Rigging Interference. At several points of tack, the main and jib sheets interfered quite a bit. I think this is a function of the traveler being mounted in the companionway. Wonder if others have moved/improved theirs. If I recall, the :macx: has no traveler and the main sheet connects to the helm post?
Could you post a picture or better example? The only problem with the M is the fractional rig is the stays are raked aft and the spreaders interfere with down wind and the main.
[*]Sluggish Steering. I have an appreciation now for what it is to have the motor connected to the rudder steering while under sail. Will invest in the BWY quick disconnect. Is that still the recommended solution?
Yes. That disconnect should have been standard from the factory. Allows the motor to quickly disconnect and tilt up.
Best investment you will make. Worth every penny
https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/5712-1m0.htm
[*]I have yet to master the Mac "bump" maneuver with the trailer. Seems to slot into the bow cushion well, but when we pull it out of the water and up the ramp that turns into 3-4 inches with no way of cranking it in. I've tried the "bump" with the winch disconnected several times but it doesn't seem to nudge the boat forward. Perhaps I am not aggressive enough. We use an extra large cargo strap just aft of the trailer axle to ensure it doesn't go anywhere. Also purchased a HF electric marine winch that I plan to mount in a better location to secure the boat on trailer.
Yes, you need to be more aggressive when slamming on the brakes. There is really no way to winch the boat up without risking damaging the trailer.
Try braking on pavement vs. gravel. Really slam the brakes. It works. Will bring the bow right up into the V.
It's important because you need more weight forward on the trailer.

Some people really like liquid rollers. Spray on the bunks.

[*]Trailering is temperamental. I've had no issue taking the boat down winding roads to our local lake with my old beater pickup. We rented a newer pickup for the trip to Corpus (wanting greater reliability and A/C). The trailer suffered from quite a bit of wag and sway. The hitch height on the rental was perhaps 2" more elevated than on my truck. Driving the rental back without the trailer, I can say that it also had a more lively suspension. Open to suggestions.
[/list]
Needs more weight on the tongue. Another reason the "bump" is important. My boat has a lot of weight in the back. Bigger motor, 24 gals of gas. And it will wag my 3/4 ton truck at speeds over 65mph. I now add a couple of hundred pounds of sandbags to the rear of the truck bed, move heavy stuff into the far forward of the V-berth and wait to fill the gas tanks until I'm close to launching location.
At the end of the season, I siphon as much gas out into my car and move heavy stuff back to the forward V-berth.
All in all, the :macm: works great for us and I'm delighted in our modest investment. The admiral (with no prior sailing experience) is gleeful and I'm very happy to be back on the water after a 30 year absence. 8)
It's a very spacious cabin and has an amazing safety record. But it does have quirks. Doesn't sail well and doesn't motor well. But the convenience being able to self launch and make it your own is where it shines.
We put ours in enclosed storage out in Corpus and intend to go back every weekend we can this summer.
That will probably help keep the sun and heat off it. I'm guessing it gets mighty hot in summer. We know folks in the Dallas area who are melting this summer.
--Russ
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

The steering quick disconnect kit is a game changer for sailing. You need it.

If the boat has Lee helm, you may have the mast raked forward. Check the mast rake.

Windage is the price you pay for that waterbago interior. You'll get better at dealing with it as you build experience. We all have at least one docking horror story due to a strong crosswind.

26M rigging is not supposed to be as tight as a non-rotating rig. Your standing rigging may be too tight. You can replace the washers with a ball-bearing to get easier rotation, but I'd verify that you don't have the rigging too tight first.

I've never mastered "the bump". My boat is typically a couple of inches out of the v-block. I towed it home from the broker with a short-bed Home Depot rental pickup. Towed at 70 mph (eased up on it to avoid being surprised). It towed great. Do you have a stock trailer? Does your boat have a lot of weight aft? Next time you're at the boat, measure from the transom to the axle centerline and we can compare notes.

Congratulations on getting back on the water, and more importantly, under sail!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River