Trailer Jack Repair

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Idiotfool
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Trailer Jack Repair

Post by Idiotfool »

The jack on my 26M trailer is missing a cap and the handle is well rusted and need of replacement. I understand that the producer of these jacks is out of business, so I'm curious if any here have used Fulton or Curtis parts to replace handles or caps and, if so, what parts you used.

Thanks!
Idiotfool
Engineer

Re: Trailer Jack Repair

Post by Idiotfool »

Well, I was able to rebuild my unit.

I was able to punch out the roll pin after some careful work. When working on this, punch the pin through a little and make sure you can rotate the handle. Punch too much and the roll pin will bind on the gears and you won't be able to get it out. Once the pin protrudes enough and you can rotate it up so the protrusion is accessible, you can pull it out with plyers.

I used this handle:

It worked well and came with a new pin. So far, I've used the old roll pin, but it has slipped on me today and I'll swap to the new pin tomorrow to prevent that from recurring.

I tried several caps, but all were too small until I came to this set:

It fits perfectly.

Now, I just need to lubricate the inner shaft. Any recommendations, there?
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

I'd go with marine bearing grease. Proud of you for repairing it.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Piddle and Futz
Engineer

Post by Piddle and Futz »

If it becomes problematic, consider just replacing the original jack with a standard, bolt on version such as https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/prod ... lt-on-jack.

I noted a few days ago that the model welded onto my 26M trailer is 1000 lb. rated.

There are probably fancier ones available that might be more resistant to corrosion, but at $50 a pop for one that will last several years, it may not be worth gold plating.
Idiotfool
Engineer

Post by Idiotfool »

I bought a swivel jack, but I didn't care for it. I know a lot of people removed their jacks but, for me, I've found it's easier to take off the jack wheel to keep everything compact it tow mode.

It works better with a spare tire mount, to me.