Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Blue Water Yachts Marine Marketing

Problems lowering mast on 26M

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale, Paul S, tangentair, Frank C, beene, Heath_Mod

Problems lowering mast on 26M

Postby djbroughton » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:40 am

I purchased an 06 26M this summer and had a relatively enjoyable time with my share of rookie mistakes. I have put the boat away for the winter and am already looking forward to next spring.

One problem I continue to have is when lowering the mast. In the slightest wind over even just from the off-centre weight of the genoa furler, the mast is pulled to the side and requires a lot of struggle to keep it straight when being lowered onto the support bracket. The start and finish of the lowering process is the most stable and it's in the middle of lowering process the mast has the most sway. This last time, I was lowering by myself and the mast swayed so much it bent the base of the mast lowering winch. Anyone have this problem? Any suggestions?

Dave Broughton
Calgary, Alberta
S/V Sea Hawk
06 26M, blue
djbroughton
Deckhand

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Problems lowering mast on 26M

Postby Scott » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:43 am

Do a search on Baby stays.
Scott
Admiral

Location: 1978 Catalina 22 with all the Racing Goodies!! 4 horse fire breathing monster on the transom
Sailboat: Venture 25

Postby Paul S » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:02 am

once disconnected from the boat, tie the roller to the mast about 6' over the deck (above where the mast raiser attaches) .

Also put a bungee cord on the bottom of the roller drum, put the bungee cord around the line going from the mast raiser to the bow, so the drum hangs on the bungee, so it doesn't damage the deck
Paul S
Site Admin

Location: Boston, MA.... 04 26M Hull #360........... MMSI/DSC 338026633

Postby Paul S » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:02 am

once disconnected from the boat, tie the roller to the mast about 6' over the deck (above where the mast raiser attaches) .

Also put a bungee cord on the bottom of the roller drum, put the bungee cord around the line going from the mast raiser to the bow, so the drum hangs on the bungee, so it doesn't damage the deck
Paul S
Site Admin

Location: Boston, MA.... 04 26M Hull #360........... MMSI/DSC 338026633

Postby 1st Sail » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:23 am

That seems to be typical with mast raising in any cross wind. I trailer so when ever possible I try to position the trailer with the bow pointed directly into the wind. If you have any cross wind the mast will definitely swing off the center line of the boat while raising or lowering. I have two choices: have someone assist by standing to one side of the mast (never directly under) and hold the mast on the center line or run a line from both genoa cars up to the mast and then back to the gin pole so you can pull the mast to center with the line. You may be able to spring load the mast with bungies from both sides however as the mast is lowered the bungie tension will decrease and reduce the resistance to keep the mast centered. PaulS may have a suggestion as to how to adjust the tension while lowering or raising.
1st Sail
First Officer

Postby Wind Chime » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:07 am

I don't know about the :macm:, but our 2000 :macx: has "Baby Stays".

They are 3rd set of lower shrouds, that's only purpose is to stop the sway of the mast when raising and lowering.

I leave them attached all the time. They act as an additional hand-hold when going forward, and would be extra mast support if I break a shroud when underway.

Darry
Wind Chime
Captain

Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Bluecrab » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:27 pm

Ours can swing a little but nothing like what your experiencing. Our 2005 :macm: has the baby stays as part of the mast raising system. Page 10 in the manual shows it a little different that ours. The PO used shackles on the baby stays through the bowline knot that attaches the mast raising pole to the hound on the mast. I like the way the manual shows the baby stays attached to the mast with straps held by the hound bolt and will probably change ours to match.

Wally
Bluecrab
Engineer

Postby c130king » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:32 pm

Wally,

My '05 :macm: has the same baby stay setup that you describe...attached to the loop on the mast raising line and not attached to the mast directly.

But I have never had any issues...but then again I don't think I have ever raised or lowered my mast in any big cross winds. I have learned that when the mast is about 2/3 of the way up one must check that the stay adjusters are properly positioned...I bent one when they got caught up on each other.

As to the original post...sounds like a baby stay issue...can you confirm you have them in place.

Cheers,
Jim
c130king
Admiral

Postby pokerrick1 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:35 pm

I was taught (by Mike Inmon) to place my foot on one of the baby stays as applicable when lowering the mast to influence the centering of the mast into the holder - and, as a result of doing that, I have never had a problem lowering the mast directly into the holder every time - - - even in wind.

Rick :( :macm: Less
pokerrick1
Admiral

Sailboat: Venture 23

Postby delevi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:31 pm

The mast raising system should have come with baby stays. This will keep it from tilting much. To reduce tilt, as Rick points out, put some load on the baby stay opposite where the mast is tilting i.e. foot method. If your system didn't come with baby stays, they're fairly easy to install; either rope or cable. They attach to the stanchion loops adjacent to the mast step. The other ends attach to the bowline loop which holds the bale which attaches to the mast for raising/lowring.

Leon
delevi
Admiral

Postby NiceAft » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:28 pm

I was going to chime in with my thoughts, but I was enlightened with Rick's tidbit about placing your foot on a baby stay.

Thanks Rick :!: You no longer have a Mac, so I'm amazed that at your age you still remember things that are no longer repetitive :D :P

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA 2005 M 50hp.Honda 4 strk., 1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Postby puggsy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:38 am

I'm in " the same boat" as Rck...no longer having my beloved SEAHORSE...however, the subject is baby stays...
the best system I have come across...I fitted the stays to straps on the hound bolt...as mentioned... and had them shortened to allow for the addition of small turnbuckles with a hook end to attach at the base of the staunchion post.
This had two benefits...1. adjustment of the length of each stay, and 2. to stop the mast twisting sideways caused by the weight of the furler setup...the hook made for easier detachment. Better than a shackle.
with a moderately tight adjustment when the mast is standing, the 'arc' scribed by the stays got a bit looser, the closer the mast got to the support bracket on the stern...making for a good lowering...and the mast stayed ' square'
puggsy
Captain

Location: MACLESS but not quite BOATLESS in Perth Western Australia
Sailboat: Venture 25

Postby djbroughton » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:23 am

Sorry for taking so long to respond, just got back to my computer.

I'm assuming that "baby stays" are the wires that run from the mast lowering winch to the stanchions. I have them but they don't make a lot of difference. I don't think using bungees to lessen the mast swing will help, there is too much momentum when it starts to move.

After reading the lack of similar problems with other M's, I'm starting to think the mod I did when I first bought the boat might be the cause. I installed a bearing system between the bottom of the mast and the mast plate which helps the mast turn with the wind. The mast turns much easier now but this combined with the weight of my genoa might be the problem. I will try attaching the furler to the mast before lowering and see if that helps. Next spring anyways!

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, great list.

Dave Broughton
Calgary, Alberta
S/V Sea Hawk
06 26M, blue
djbroughton
Deckhand

Postby Highlander » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:33 am

Hi All

I made baby stays from about 14ft of 1/4 line looped it through the eye at the top of the gin pole then attach to the stantions with ss snaps this gives the gin pole more support and stops it from trying to lean over to one side with the weight of the furlers I have two of them being "Cutter Rigged" the furlers are supported by bungy cords one on each side of the line that goes down to the bow cleats I'll see if I can post pic's later today if it does not rain

J
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Meaford harbour Georgian Bay, Ont. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby djbroughton » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:58 am

Highlander, I'm really interested in seeing what your setup looks like. Did your mast raising pole not come with the wire baby stays?

Puggsy, your idea sounds great but I'm having trouble visualizing. Any chance of pics?

Dave
Calgary
djbroughton
Deckhand

Next

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion