Porta Potti Replacement

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Porta Potti Replacement

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:32 am

adudinsk wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:47 am
SO the vent.. is enough to allow the suction to purge the poop.. but not collapse the holding tank...
Should be plenty of vent capacity. The pump doesn't move the fluid fast enough to cause a problem unless your vent is clogged. A fast pump is around 30 gpm, which is only about 4 cubic feet per minute, which is nothing for a 5/8" diameter vent line. But if it concerns you, open the trap door. Some hose water in there is a good idea anyway, to clean it out more thoroughly.

I use Happy Camper enzyme in mine, and in the RV's holding tank, and in my keelboat's holding tank when I still had it. Good stuff. Expensive to buy at $22 for the small one, but it's good for 18 treatments of 40 gallons each, which works out to about 8 cents for a 2-1/2 gallon porta-potti tank. The small container my FIL gave me years ago is still going strong; I've never had to buy any. :D

Happy Camper is popular with the RV crowd, at least those that use any treatment at all. Many don't. But RV holding tanks, as well as marine holding tanks, aren't quite the same thing as a porta-potti, which is more like a mini plastic outhouse. :|

https://www.happycampers.store/black-tank/
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:30 am

Regular TP.

Treat PP tank with something like this

Dump:

--Russ

adudinsk
Engineer

Post by adudinsk » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:32 am

Been hearing good things about Happy Campers.. but the smallest size here is over $50.. and no one carries it in my area. (have to order online)

What about the liquid dometic holding tank treatment? Anyone tried that?

1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:38 pm

First Dometic I had developed a leak in the poop tank. Replaced the holding tank then the fresh water (original) leaked. I'm done. Ordered and installed a CHead. Quality is excellent, easy install, no odor, easy to maintain, simple to operate. I have several boating friends that switched to composting toilets and said they would never go back. CHead makes a 'shorty' model that fits the Mac.
:macm: