what kind of stove do you use?

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: what kind of stove do you use?

Post by Russ » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:28 am

BWY "Cruising package" came outfitted with a butane stove.
It works very well. Very hot and convenient.
We mostly use it only to make coffee. The Magma gets most of the cooking duties.

I don't like lighter than air gas stoves, but we store the bottles carefully and always have ample ventilation before using it.
--Russ

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:37 am

Russ wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:28 am
I don't like lighter than air gas stoves, but we store the bottles carefully and always have ample ventilation before using it.
:?: :?: :?: Butane vapor has a specific gravity (at standard temp and press) about twice that of air. Even more dense than propane, with its SG of 1.5, which is similar to alcohol vapor at 1.6.

Natural gas is lighter than air, though, at 0.6-0.7. Maybe that's what you're thinking of. :wink:
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:37 am
[quote=Russ post_id=346081 time=<a href="tel:1605547709">1605547709</a> user_id=7207]I don't like lighter than air gas stoves, but we store the bottles carefully and always have ample ventilation before using it.
:?: :?: :?: Butane vapor has a specific gravity (at standard temp and press) about twice that of air. Even more dense than propane, with its SG of 1.5, which is similar to alcohol vapor at 1.6.

Natural gas is lighter than air, though, at 0.6-0.7. Maybe that's what you're thinking of. :wink:
[/quote]

Russ,
You gotta start proof-reading your posts. You throw him one straight down the middle like that and Tomfoolery will hit it right out of the park every time. :D
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:02 pm

Jimmyt wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:08 pm
Russ,
You gotta start proof-reading your posts. You throw him one straight down the middle like that and Tomfoolery will hit it right out of the park every time. :D
That's my problem with posting before the second cup of coffee. Bad proof reading.
HEAVIER than air.

But Tom always blesses us with more knowledge. Gotta love engineers.
--Russ

Inquisitor
First Officer

Post by Inquisitor » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:00 pm

I've read quite a bit on the subject (on this site) and the flame wars that start over stoves...
alcohol, pressurized or not, butane, propane, kerosene, diesel, butt gas...
Some people feel VERY righteous with their opinion. For some reason, other sailboat sites are less worried about propane.

If I were to put a "camping" stove inside, BUT... BUT...
  • used ABYC certification procedures for lines
  • an external tank (the little 1 lb Colman type tanks) since I can't fit the standard 20# versions.
  • Had an external valve.
  • Had a fiberglass lined tray around it so any escaping gasses were funneled to one place
  • did full gas leakage tests
  • And a propane alarm at the bottom of said tray
... would hull-fire and brimstone still rain on me? :evil:
A few too many degrees off center.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:13 pm

When I installed my gas range, I ran a fuel line (Mfg. recommended gas line) from the galley along the aft berth, and up and out by the motor. There I installed the adapter that the 1 pound propane canister screws onto.

I store the canisters in a pouch that suspends from the mast arch. It is especially designed to hold three canisters.

I only use the range when either at anchor, or docked, and the motor is not running. Because of my infrequent use of the stove top, I don't have any fear of heavier than air gas build up. I could always light a candle in a bilge to see if there is any leakage :o :D

When I was a boy, my friends used to sing a ditty to the tune of my Bonnie lies over the ocean.

My Bonnie looked into a gas tank, the contents she wanted to see. She lit a match to assist her; oh bring back my Bonnie to me.
Ray ~~_/)~~

Inquisitor
First Officer

Post by Inquisitor » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:22 pm

NiceAft wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:13 pm
When I was a boy, my friends used to sing a ditty to the tune of my Bonnie lies over the ocean.

My Bonnie looked into a gas tank, the contents she wanted to see. She lit a match to assist her; oh bring back my Bonnie to me.
You crack me up! :D

... but I hadn't thought about anywhere besides the tank alcoves. That's a great place. I was thinking about a 6 or 9 gallon tank on the other side to permit storage and use of the 1lb propane. This way I could still do two full 12 gallon tanks. Thanks!

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:37 am

NiceAft wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:13 pm
When I installed my gas range, I ran a fuel line (Mfg. recommended gas line) from the galley along the aft berth, and up and out by the motor. There I installed the adapter that the 1 pound propane canister screws onto.
If you want to go all ABYC-ish, install a 12VDC fuel solenoid valve at the gas bottle, with a remote toggle switch at the stove top. They're normally closed, energized to open, and that way you can energize it, do what you need to do on the stove, then shut it back off. No risk of fuel leakage back into the cabin, and in an emergency you can shut the switch off to kill the gas.

My keel boat had a lighted toggle switch, so there's no way you didn't know the gas was on.

Tom
Be seeing you . . .

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:54 am

Gotcha.
Ray ~~_/)~~

Inquisitor
First Officer

Post by Inquisitor » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:13 am

I started looking at those solenoids. One on Amazon was listed for Propane, but one of their customers complained that his was leaking. Company evaluated his rig and determined that the very low pressure used (6 ounces of pressure) after the regulator was not enough to seat the valve. They retracted their propane recommendation. Point being...

1) can you recommend a brand that is OK
2) Is something like this a good idea https://www.amazon.com/Motorized-Stainl ... B06XWZRLJ1
a) Doesn't rely on back pressure to keep sealed.
b) Doesn't use any electricity after opening and closing.
c) Stays in last position.
d) No chance of burn-out from being electrically kept open continuously.

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:40 am

I would recommend using valves that are UL listed for propane shutoff duty (or other equivalent listing/certification). The valve Tomfoolery referenced is UL listed for the duty. 12volt D.C. versions aren't too common. 24v ac and 120v ac are pretty easy to get.

West Marine sells one for low pressure duty, but I can't find any listing/rating info. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/trident- ... e--9457318. One would assume West Marine wouldn't sell a valve that wasn't listed, but who knows these days?

The concept of a safety shut off valve requires that it fail closed. If you are worried about leaving the switch on, use a timer switch.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:26 am

I placed the canister far outside of the cockpit for safety reasons, but these posts have me thinking about what safety features are built into the stove itself to prevent, or stop gas leakage.

This is the unit I have.

It does have a system built in, in case there is a flame burnout. I've never tested it. :)

Page seven in the manual.

Ray ~~_/)~~

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:23 am

Great safety feature Ray! Looks like you got good bang for the buck on your cooker!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:22 am

BANG being the operative word.
Ray ~~_/)~~

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:32 pm

NiceAft wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:22 am
BANG being the operative word.