Mac 26 Classic - Genoa Sheets

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

vern22
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Mac 26 Classic - Genoa Sheets

Post by vern22 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:49 am

Hello,
I have a 91 26S that I have sailed for years. This weekend I finally upgraded to a roller furling 150% genoa. It is installed and almost ready to sail. I now need to install the sheets.. I can't decide on a way to run the sheets. Inside shrouds or outside or ?? Anyone able to post pictures of their setup? I have searched this site and many others..

cmagnus4
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Öckerö, Sweden Mac 26M 2010 "TYR" Suzuki 15HP Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Re: Mac 26 Classic - Genoa Sheets

Post by cmagnus4 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:12 am

Outside shrouds is the rule :)
Welcome on bord!
Cmagnus

vern22

Post by vern22 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:06 am

Thanks, now I need hardware and an idea of where to install it.

vizwhiz
Admiral

Post by vizwhiz » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:16 am

I think it's outside the shrouds when fully extended, but you'll want to come inside as you furl the sail to make it smaller, right?

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:43 am

Keep in mind that the sail shape of a genoa wound up to 100% or so will be not so good. Install hardware on the rail for the full sail shape, and run the sheets inside the shrouds to the jib cars (on the slack side, then come about to the other tack and wind up the genoa) if you have to. But you'll be happier I think with the performance of the jib if the winds pipes up enough that you need to run a smaller head sail. It is a bit of a pain to switch them with a furler, though - one of the advantages of a hank-on head sail, though I'll take the roller reefing any day and twice on Sundays.

mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:35 pm

I've come up with a way to run the 150 Genoa both outside the shrouds and inside, and it's pretty simple but a little bit of a hassle: Just run two sets of jib-sheets, one for the outside and one for the inside, run just as they would both normally be. Now you've got four jib-sheets instead of two, and you keep the three you aren't using very slack. You also have to make the inside set of jib-sheets quite a bit longer than normal because when they're slack they go out around the shrouds. Also, you've got two clew knots on the jib and it's twice as likely to get caught on shrouds or the mast going around (but you've also got more ropes to pull on to get it back.

When you reef below 100%, slack both the "outside" sheets completely, and harden up the inside sheet appropriate for your tack. You'll have the sheets kind of hanging overboard, you've got a lot of sheets to manage in the cockpit. I toss the inside sheets down into the cabin to keep them out of the cockpit when they're not in use.

I've only done this once because my winds are very consistent and I can generally pick a reef and stick with it all day, but it does work surprisingly well.

vern22

Post by vern22 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Is a traveler necessary for the genoa? I cant find any information on how others have their sheets setup.

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Travelers are for the mainsheet. Jib/Genoa sheets can benefit from tracks and sliding jib/genny cars.

~Rich

Hammer24
Just Enlisted

Post by Hammer24 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:31 am

vern22 wrote:Is a traveler necessary for the genoa? I cant find any information on how others have their sheets setup.
Like Hamin`X said, for a genoa they´re called tracks.
Those are especially handy, when your jib/genoa is on a roller furler. I get way better sailshape when the genoa is partially rolled up, when I change the car position on the track accordingly.

Edit: Here is a pretty good description - http://www.neilprydesails.com/pdfs/Adju ... adsail.pdf

vern22

Post by vern22 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks for replies all. I called the dealer and he is sourcing me the orignal track and cars for the jenny. The jenny track will be attached on the side of the cockpit, I will need to move the sheets inside the shrouds when I reef to a jib. Going from a hank on jib to a roller furling jenny ended up being a bit more work than expected. Cant wait to get it done and go test it out. Anyonewith a classic have pictures of the installed jenny cars?