Installing permanent gas tank in 26C lazarette

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

WinSome
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Installing permanent gas tank in 26C lazarette

Post by WinSome » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:17 am

I just acquired a used 12.5 gal gas tank salvaged from a Hunter 27. In beautiful condition ( it was a diesel tank). Tank is going to sit on a leveling rack in lazarrete. Forward and centered. Am still acquiring parts needed to install a bilge blower and ventilation. Hoping to transit Rideau canal from Ottawa to Kingston next year. 200 km. Maybe mid July. Any suggestions/ watch-outs re:install?

buck_justice
Deckhand

Re: Installing permanent gas tank in 26C lazarette

Post by buck_justice » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:36 pm

That should be a great install, I have thought about doing something similar. It would make for a nice long run without switching tanks. What outboard do you have and what kind of fuel consumption do you see at Hull speed? Do you have any concerns about the extra weight aft when trailering?
I noticed no one replied for a while, things are slow this time of year!
Buck

WinSome
Deckhand

Post by WinSome » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:47 pm

I’ll be doing the install in a month or so (depths of winter here in Ontario,Canada) and will take pics. Tank will fit nicely right on centre line forward in lazarette. I’m not expecting any issues trailering as PO trailered a 20 litre tank in there.
We’ve a Mariner 8hp 2 stroke. At 3/4 throttle was 4.5 k. Not sure actual consumption as only motored a few times last summer. (Used 16 litres. ) Will know better next season. One dream is to do the Rideau canal from Ottawa to Kingston. 202 km. 45 locks. 6 days. Mostly motoring. I think I’ll wish we had a 4 stroke!
I’m wondering for the trip if should upgrade to high thrust prop?
Tom

WinSome
Deckhand

Post by WinSome » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:16 am

Finally offering some pics of my tank install. We enjoy having the cockpit cleared of gas tank. New install is working nicely.
The install of tank and air blower all went as planned.
Launch here in Hamilton Ontario was delayed due to COVID etc. Actually we’re dry sailing ‘Winsome’ this season due to limited usability time. That’s working out not bad. Just limiting passengers and crew to our ‘bubble’

Thanks to Sumner and others for all you pics and info.