1981 MacGregor 25 Inspection Question

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
flipwalker
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

1981 MacGregor 25 Inspection Question

Post by flipwalker »

Good morning!

I'm looking to purchase a smallish trailerable sailboat to learn(I've been sailing Lasers off and on since I was a child) and have fun on local lakes with my family(myself, my wife, 11-year-old and 9-year old boy. Yesterday I went to look at a 1981 MacGregor 25. Overall, considering age, I wasn't upset with its condition. It certainly needs to be painted, but one thing I saw concerned me and I'm hoping you all can advise me on whether it's a deal-breaker. I neglected to get a picture, so I'm hoping I can explain it well enough for you to understand without knowing all the correct terms. Also keep in mind I'm not looking for a full project boat. A minor fix or repair here or there is fine, but I'd prefer not to have to do major work just to make her safe to sail the family around the lake.

Under the cockpit, perhaps halfway to the stern, there is a vertical wall in the bilge, with a 1x2 wood running parallel with the boat on the port side of the cockpit. Looks like it's there to help support the weight in the cockpit? Regardless, on the wall directly under that piece of wood, there was a rather large crack running down towards the keel of the boat. Is this a structural problem? Or something not to be concerned with?

Thanks for any recommendations!

Philip
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: 1981 MacGregor 25 Inspection Question

Post by NiceAft »

I found this.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/91135 ... e=2#manual

Using one of the photographs, maybe you can indicate where the problem is?
Ray ~~_/)~~
flipwalker

Post by flipwalker »

It's in this bulkhead, on the port side where the bottom corner of the cockpit sits in the cutout of that bulkhead. Does that make sense? The crack runs up and down, starting right at that corner, it's mate 6-9 inches long, with significant gaping.

Philip

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Does the crack appear to be right at the port side bulkhead location?
Ray ~~_/)~~
flipwalker

Post by flipwalker »

I'm not sure of the bulkhead you're talking about... If you follow the front of the port bench seat straight down that's where the crack is.
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Do you have a photo of the crack.
This may lead to water.. wood rot.. all sorts of stuff.
It also can be a small stress crack.. one would have to look at it.

If its a major crack.. AVOID.. you do not want any wood replacement projects..
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Adudimsk,

He previously posted that he didn’t take any photos, that’s why I had him try to show where the crack is on the schematic.

His choices at this point are; (a) go back with a camera, (b) go back with a knowledgeable person who knows about fiberglass boat construction, or (c) take a crapshoot, buy the boat, and when he gets it home, then have someone look at it, and make all necessary repairs.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

flipwalker wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:58 pm It's in this bulkhead, on the port side where the bottom corner of the cockpit sits in the cutout of that bulkhead. Does that make sense? The crack runs up and down, starting right at that corner, it's mate 6-9 inches long, with significant gaping.

Philip

Phillip,

If you have a 6-9" long crack with a significant gap, it's likely something that needs to be fixed. Macgregor boats don't have a lot of extraneous components, so it's likely holding something up. How are your fiberglass and woodworking skills?

An interior bulkhead crack shouldn't be too bad to repair. However, I'd be curious to see if there was other damage that caused (or resulted from) the crack.

If the hull and deck are solid, and you feel like you can make the bulkhead repair yourself, I wouldn't say it's a deal-breaker. But I would look for other damage before I made the deal.

If you give more details about what you're getting, condition of sails, asking price, etc, you'll get better input. Whether the boat is worth the asking price is often asked in forums such as this. Photos (as pointed out by Ray and adudinsk) obviously help get better feedback as well.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
flipwalker

Post by flipwalker »

Thanks all for your feedback! I decided against this boat because I don't want a project for my first non-dingy sailboat, and I don't have any current knowledge about fiberglass repair, though I have a history of doing it myself, I've never done fiberglass. I found another boat that was obviously cared for very well from another seller, though more expensive, is very nearly a drive to the nearest lake on the way home type of boat. ;-) Unfortunately, it wasn't a MacGregor, so I'll be dropping off of here as I'm sure you all don't want to hear me asking questions about a different makers boat... ;-)

Thank you again!

Philip
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

I would agree... even a "nice" boat will have a lot to do on it.. to make it "your" boat.. without any major repairs.

AD
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

Duct tape seems to work pretty well - oh and double indemnity accident insurance for people I don't like that insist on going out with me. :wink:
Jimmyt wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:31 am If you have a 6-9" long crack with a significant gap, it's likely something that needs to be fixed. Macgregor boats don't have a lot of extraneous components, so it's likely holding something up. How are your fiberglass and woodworking skills?

An interior bulkhead crack shouldn't be too bad to repair. However, I'd be curious to see if there was other damage that caused (or resulted from) the crack.

If the hull and deck are solid, and you feel like you can make the bulkhead repair yourself, I wouldn't say it's a deal-breaker. But I would look for other damage before I made the deal.

If you give more details about what you're getting, condition of sails, asking price, etc, you'll get better input. Whether the boat is worth the asking price is often asked in forums such as this. Photos (as pointed out by Ray and adudinsk) obviously help get better feedback as well.