what kind of stove do you use?

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: what kind of stove do you use?

Post by Ixneigh »

Origo alcohol stove.

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
ris
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by ris »

We use the same Dickinson Stove as Ray and we have a 1.5 gallon Aluminum Propane tank that we hang over the back of our X near where the motor wires exit. We turn it on and off for each use. Propane lasts about a month or two. With the starboard covering the area under the drivers seat the propane if it leaked would not enter the boat.

In the picture below you can see the starboard that closes off the cockpit under the seat. The top of the propane tank is just visible over the motor.

Richard
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

OK Rich,

I see the two of you waving. So who took the photo off Liberty Island :?:
Ray ~~_/)~~
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

That photo was 2016 Great Loop Trip. Mike on Chinook took the picture. We actually met up in Cape May NJ and traveled up to Albany with Mike and his wife. Lee a M owner from Texas also met up with us in Cape May and traveled to Albany NY with us. 2016 must have been a record for people looping in Mac's. There were 3 of us.
Left Lee and girlfriend from Texas, Middle my wife and I and right is Mike's boat with his wife onboard, Mike is taking Picture

Richard
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

It was on that trip, prior to Chinook meeting up with you (a night or two before), Chinook and his wife met up for dinner in Philadelphia with me, my wife, Kevin and his wife. It was an evening of Mac camaraderie.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Sea Shadow
Chief Steward

Post by Sea Shadow »

Origo 2 burner alcohol stove. Easy to get fuel (methylated spirits/denatured alcohol). No problems with heavier than air gas. Not as hot as some fuels but not really a problem.
:macm: Extraordinary times expose (extra)ordinary people.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

NiceAft wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:38 am It was on that trip, prior to Chinook meeting up with you (a night or two before), Chinook and his wife met up for dinner in Philadelphia with me, my wife, Kevin and his wife. It was an evening of Mac camaraderie.
Indeed it was. How I miss those times.
Drifter
First Officer

Post by Drifter »

I'd love to find a reasonably-priced Origo but they're like hen's teeth now.

I have a cheapy alcohol stove, really crude Chinese thing, for now. Will see how it goes before I consider the crazy money of buying and shipping a 2nd (3rd?) hand Origo.