Sailboat owner wannabe here.

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

pete c

Sailboat owner wannabe here.

Post by pete c » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:31 am

Want to get a light trailerable day sailer, with limited overnighting capabilities.

Looking for something that is a stable and easy to sail. Not looking to win races, but something a bit fun would be nice. Whatever I end up going with, being light is a must. My Honda Odyssey is rated to tow 3500 lbs and I would like to stay well south of that.

Boats I am considering are ODay DS, Mariner, 20. Anything bigger than the 20 is just too heavy. Also looking at Catalinas, and a few other makes.

This morning I came across a Mac V21 and I think it might be ideal. Seems like the Mac is considerably lighter per ft than any of the others.

Is this so, and why? Did ODay just lay on the fiberglass much thicker? Do they have more stuff? A Mariner is 2 ft shorter and 300 lbs more. The OD 20 is a little shorter and 1200 lbs more.

These things aren't made of carbon fiber, are they? :)

Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Sailboat owner wannabe here.

Post by Russ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:46 pm

MacGregors are famous for being light trailer sailers. It's their roots. The others are often big heavy keel boats who also make smaller versions. The Mac started small and never lost their heritage.

Larger Macs like the 26 still were light due to water ballast vs. heavy keels. You might consider them also.
--Russ

chipveres
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 22

Post by chipveres » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:19 am

While considering "those other makes", please make sure they can be launched from their trailers. Some of the larger trailer sailors have to be picked up with a crane or a travel lift.

Chip Veres
s/v Sand Dollar

scrawley
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by scrawley » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:44 pm

Not sure about the ballast/keel situation of the 21 but I have a 26d and trailering it out of the water and up the ramp with 1200 lbs of water ballast might be more than the Odyssey can handle. Light enough when empty but no way to empty that tank until you have it out of the water.

svscott
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by svscott » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:12 am

scrawley wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:44 pm
Not sure about the ballast/keel situation of the 21 but I have a 26d and trailering it out of the water and up the ramp with 1200 lbs of water ballast might be more than the Odyssey can handle. Light enough when empty but no way to empty that tank until you have it out of the water.
You make a good point about the added haul out weight with the water ballast in the tank, however it is really easy to purge the ballast tank using a little 12v mattress pump. On my 26d, I just open the ballast fill port then remove the rubber air vent plug and use the air pump to push the water out. Within a few minutes, you'll hear bubbles blowing from under the hull. To make a good air seal, I use a piece of duct tape over the hole and push the compressor nozzle through a small X cut into the tape.
1987 26D - Three Hour Tour; 1998 26X - to be named

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:53 am

Actually, you can run it at 10+ knots with the outboard and drain the ballast that way. Just sayn' :wink:
scrawley wrote:

C Buchs
First Officer

Post by C Buchs » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:22 am

dlandersson wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:53 am
Actually, you can run it at 10+ knots with the outboard and drain the ballast that way. Just sayn' :wink:
scrawley wrote:
I think the original poster is looking at the classic Macs, not a power sailer.

Jeff

Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:50 pm

I had an O'Day Daysailer, and loved it. And then got a Mac 26s, and loved it more. More stable, more room for people, coolers, etc. You can stay out on it longer, because you have refreshments, space above and below, and so forth.

At 1500 lbs, it is easy to pull. At 3,000 lbs it will be a load getting up the ramp, but if you go slow, it gets lighter quickly.

--john

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:37 pm

I used to tow my :macx: with an Odyssey when I first got it, as I didn't have an SUV or pickup at that time. Before that I had a couple of 4Runners, and after that I've had a couple of Grand Cherokees. But the Odyssey towed it just fine at about 4000 lb total including trailer. Might have needed a transmission after a bunch of miles, though. The PO also towed with a Caravan, I was told.

To haul a water ballasted boat up the ramp, just open the fill/drain valve and vent before you put it on the trailer. The instant the bow rises any distance at all because of the bunks or rollers, ballast will start draining. Pull it up the ramp a little higher, and it'll come out a little faster. You don't actually have to haul the entire ballast weight up the ramp. Even with the stern still floating, the bow will be quite proud and water will be pouring out the back, even if the drain is below the water line as it does that.

Those other boats are not water ballasted, so they're carrying 1000 lb or more of fixed ballast. And as pointed out, the Macs are designed to be trailer launched. Anything with any kind of fixed keel would need, at the very least, an extendable tongue to be able to get the trailer deep enough, and some may require a Travelift or crane. My Aquarius was trailer launchable, but it had a skiff keel with swing centerboard. Not a lot of boats are built like that, though, and it had permanent ballast so it was heavy (hence the 4Runners).
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

DragonflyMac25
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by DragonflyMac25 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:21 am

Another suggestion would be the Macgregor 25. Light for its size but with gear could get close to your limit. Still could be worth considering.