New member old Venture 21

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Wayward2021
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 21

Re: New member old Venture 21

Post by Wayward2021 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:21 am

Most likely I'll spend my free time this year taking inventory of what I have, what I need, what needs replaced , and what needs repaired. Come up with solutions to the solo mast stepping issue 🙄... Cuz I'll need to be able to solo the boat. When i get my bonus in Feb I'll start collecting the goodies and begin the actual work as soon as weather permits.

Where are favorite places to shop for parts, supplies, etc?

Wayward2021
Just Enlisted

Post by Wayward2021 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:08 pm

I managed to step the mast and sort it all out. I got most things figured out except there's a block on a cable about 2/3 - 3/4 the way up the bow side of the mast. Im not sure what it would be for, its near the top of the photo.

PSNA
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Other

Post by PSNA » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:16 am

This goes back to my last post.

That block is for your jib/genoa halyard.

If it was a masthead rig, the block would be at the top of the mast on the opposite side of the mainsail halyard.

Wayward2021
Just Enlisted

Post by Wayward2021 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:06 am

There is a halyard already for the jib/genoa that runs to the head. Maybe it was converted by a different owner and they left this in place.

Thank you

JohnnyP
Deckhand
Sailboat: Venture 2-24

Post by JohnnyP » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:41 am

Wayward2021 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:06 am
There is a halyard already for the jib/genoa that runs to the head. Maybe it was converted by a different owner and they left this in place.
Wayward, are you saying there are two blocks on the ahead side of the mast? The lower block and hound are for your foresail; the "cable" is your forestay and should cleanly reach to the bow chainplate. The block at the masthead is your spinnaker halyard, should you be so fortunate to have one come with the boat. If there is another cable that runs from the bow to a hound at the masthead, then I would assume the PO converted to masthead rig and you would then find a matching jib; however, I would be cautious of rigging the boat in that configuration as I could only imagine the amount of weatherhelm you'd experience.
John Pastore
1973 Venture 2-24
NW Connecticut