Perfect evening on the 26D

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

svscott
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Perfect evening on the 26D

Post by svscott » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:09 am

Our season is winding down in Northwest PA but I'm not giving up on sailing yet! My boat must be hauled out of the marina by October 29th this year so I'm hoping to get a few more trips in.
Yesterday we had strong wind most of the day, blowing a steady 20 to 25 mph and I couldn't find crew adventurous enough to venture out. The weather forecast actually got the prediction right and by dinner time, the wind died down to a point where my Admiral was comfortable to head out. With wind speed under 10 mph, we left the slip and motored out into the bay. I have been practicing single handed sailing for the last couple years in varied conditions but hadn't set the spinnaker by myself yet, so with my wife and kid on hand to help if necessary, I set the tiller pilot and within ten minutes of fiddling about and double checking that there weren't any snags, the doused assymetric spinnaker was hoisted up with the sheets run back to the blocks on each aft corner. I then raised the spinnaker sock and the sail easily filled, allowing me to shut off the motor.
I opted to keep things calm and simple and we only used the spinnaker to power the boat, leaving the mainsail/boom stowed in the cabin. Our 9 year son took the tiller for a good portion of the trip around the bay and I'm glad to report that he's getting a lot more confidant and competent.

1987 26D - Three Hour Tour; 1998 26X - to be named

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Perfect evening on the 26D

Post by Jimmyt » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:04 am

Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing! Spinnaker looks great. I can tell by the kid's face that he's digging it. Best of all, the Admiral is smiling. Good for you captain. :wink:
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:26 am

Great pics. I'm so envious.

I mowed the grass yesterday and shoveled snow this morning. Boat is put away for the season.
--Russ

chipveres
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 22

Post by chipveres » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:17 pm

Beautiful pix. Do you know the name of the schooner?
Chip V.

Stickinthemud57
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:01 pm

Thanks for sharing! Getting back into sailing definitely ranks as one of my best life decisions. So good to see a family enjoying time together!

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:46 pm

Very nice 8)

svscott
First Officer

Post by svscott » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:09 pm

chipveres wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:17 pm
Beautiful pix. Do you know the name of the schooner?
Chip V.
Hey Chip, she's the Lettie G Howard. A fishing schooner built in 1893 and is on loan to the City of Erie. She normally resides in New York City but has been here for a couple years, giving daily pleasure cruises for a fee. We also have the US Brig Niagara docked behind the Maritime Museum, adjacent to the Lettie G but the Niagara hasn't been sailed publicly since covid started. She just went to a boatyard in Cleveland for some work but had been covered under canvas since the pandemic kicked off.

I love sailing the Mac when the Niagara is out. Aside from being unique and beautiful, every once in awhile we're treated to booming a smoke filled cannon blast!

I've got dozens of pictures of various tall ships and old wooden boats but these are 2 of my favorite pics of the Niagara taken from my boat during past seasons...

svscott
First Officer

Post by svscott » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:17 pm

Russ wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:26 am
Great pics. I'm so envious.

I mowed the grass yesterday and shoveled snow this morning. Boat is put away for the season.
Snow!!!! Already? I hate when it starts snowing and the yard gets soft and muddy before I get leaves cleaned up. We usually get our first snow by Halloween. I know that day is coming soon but it was 75 degrees and beautiful here today so I went for a nice mountain bike ride with friends after work.

Pic of my bike in the PA woods... it isn't boat related but I'm posting it anyways.

svscott
First Officer

Post by svscott » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:26 pm

Jimmyt wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:04 am
Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing! Spinnaker looks great. I can tell by the kid's face that he's digging it. Best of all, the Admiral is smiling. Good for you captain. :wink:
I have learned to choose only the best conditions to bring my wonderful wife out sailing with me. The kid was having a great time steering - he has been practicing for a long time but the spinnaker was easy to read and make tiller corrections to keep the sail filled. Something clicked with him this time out. He also loves 15+mph wind days, burying the rail and exciting sailing. His mom... HATES it and shrieks at anything over 10 to 15 degrees of heel!

OverEasy
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by OverEasy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:52 pm

Hi SvScott

Great trip and pictures!
Beautiful day out with the important people in your life!
Thank you for sharing!

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈

Stickinthemud57
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:24 pm

svscott wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:26 pm
Jimmyt wrote:
I have learned to choose only the best conditions to bring my wonderful wife out sailing with me. The kid was having a great time steering - he has been practicing for a long time but the spinnaker was easy to read and make tiller corrections to keep the sail filled. Something clicked with him this time out. He also loves 15+mph wind days, burying the rail and exciting sailing. His mom... HATES it and shrieks at anything over 10 to 15 degrees of heel!
Amazing the range of reaction to sailing conditions. We invited my nephew and his family (wife, son, and daughter) out for a sail. The kids picked up on how to handle the helm amazingly quickly. Biggest chore on the whole trip was assuring mom that the boat was not going to tip over!

I envy you for having a son who is "into it". I got back into sailing too late. My older son has family and career to focus on, and my younger son is, shall we say, not enthusiastic.

svscott
First Officer

Post by svscott » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:08 pm

Stickinthemud57 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:24 pm
svscott wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:26 pm
Jimmyt wrote:
Amazing the range of reaction to sailing conditions. We invited my nephew and his family (wife, son, and daughter) out for a sail. The kids picked up on how to handle the helm amazingly quickly. Biggest chore on the whole trip was assuring mom that the boat was not going to tip over!

I envy you for having a son who is "into it". I got back into sailing too late. My older son has family and career to focus on, and my younger son is, shall we say, not enthusiastic.
I love that I can share my hobbies with him! My boy started coming out sailing with me on the 26D when he was under 2 years old!
Ever since we bought the 26x about a year ago, he's been telling me the D will be his boat once he's old enough to captain it without me. My dad gifted it to me so it seems fitting BUT the older Mac is my favorite (there, I said it) so he'd better let me use it still!