No room at the top of our mast

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
prattjas
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

No room at the top of our mast

Post by prattjas »

We just recently purchased a MacGregor 25, and I am wanting to install both a wind sensor and a VHF Antenna, but in looking at the top of the mast there isn't any space to install either of these things. Does anyone have any idea how I could go about making space for these?

wespiece
Sailboat: Venture 17

Re: No room at the top of our mast

Post by wespiece »

you could mount something like this to the side of the upper plates with some machine screws so they dont interfere with the lines inside.
same thing for the vhf antenna - just need a right angle bracket on the other side. may need to offset it a bit so the vane clears
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

My Windex is mounted on an aluminum "arm" which is just a piece of flat aluminum (from hardware store) that sticks out aft of the mast so the Windex is visible from the cockpit. The VHF Antenna is then mounted on the side of the mast top.

Similar

--Russ
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

prattjas wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:13 pm We just recently purchased a MacGregor 25, and I am wanting to install both a wind sensor and a VHF Antenna, but in looking at the top of the mast there isn't any space to install either of these things. Does anyone have any idea how I could go about making space for these?

Yes, having the pullies above the top of the mast complicates what you are trying to do. If side mounts don't work, you might be able to fashion a platform with aluminum angle stock and a flat plate that would attach through the two sleeves at the top of the pulley plates.
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
LordElsinore
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by LordElsinore »

Russ, with that picture you posted I have some questions :D You've got an :macm: right? There are some things there that I've not seen on an :macm: before.

Going from right to left, I assume that first line is your furling jib/genoa. Looks like the next line over is a means to raise and lower that - fancy that it goes over the top of the mast and back down the other side. Does that kind of arrangement have a name?

Then you've got two other 'lines' that look like steel cable after that. Is one of those a backstay? Do you have a backstay on your :macm: ?

What I don't see is your main halyard, a topping lift, etc. 'splain yourself, Sir! :D

Also, you have tacking tabs on your Windex....but your :macm: has a rotating mast. Are you able to make use of them?

Thanks for tolerating my curiosity