Dimensions of 26M on its Trailer

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Tanuki
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Dimensions of 26M on its Trailer

Post by Tanuki » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:39 pm

I just purchased a 26M (on a single axel MacGregor trailer) and need to put it on a barge to move it to Alaska. Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the boat and trailer together - from the front of the tongue of the trailer to the very furthest part back, the height from the ground, and the width. I saw an image a while ago with all of these dimensions written in, but cannot find it again. Thanks in advance for any information.

Jimmyt
Admiral

Re: Dimensions of 26M on its Trailer

Post by Jimmyt » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:50 pm

34 ft long
8 ft 6 inches wide
9 ft 8 inches tall
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:33 am

All the best.
:macm: Neo
"Whatever floats ya boat" 8)

Jolly Dodger
Just Enlisted

Post by Jolly Dodger » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:39 am

Thanks for the great pic Neo.

I have recently had a second axle fitted to my trailer. I have my :macm: loaded pretty much to these dimensions; possibly 0.1m / 4" further forward. Using some 2x4, 4x4, and a bathroom scale, I've determined that my current tongue weight is ~375lb. I'm pretty happy with this for now. I might consider moving it back to get to ~350lb. This is not too serious as I keep the boat at the Yacht Club and so am just moving it between the ramp and the parking spot.

What I do need to consider is longer towing alternatives. I have a Jeep Wrangler which has a max tongue weight of ~350lb and a max towing capacity of 3,500lb - 5,000lb. My long tow would be from Texas to Florida (so no mountain passes or elevation changes). Does anyone here have experience with using a Wrangler for a long distance tow? Interested in your views but this is not urgent as the long tow trip is FAR in the future.
JD

C Buchs
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by C Buchs » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:18 am

A friend of mine has a Wrangler and he said the towing capacity was 3500 lbs. That's not enough. I'm sure different years have different capacities. So please look this up. I usually look up the vehicle on kbb.com in the used cars section. There's a specifications and features section. From there you need to click on "See All Specifications". I looked up a 2015 Wrangler and it says the towing capacity is only 2000 lbs!

I've towed my :macx: on the original single axle trailer a total of over 3000 miles with a 2006 ML500 that has a 5000 lb towing capacity. It has electronic stability control and tows really well, but I don't think I would tow with anything smaller. I know you aren't planning on going over any big hills, so towing power isn't a concern. However, when the wind is up, and you are passed by a big rig, you really need something that can keep everything stable and straight. A heavier vehicle helps and that stability control on the Mercedes helped too.

Jeff

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:27 am

As a general rule, the longer the tow vehicle's wheelbase, the better it tows at highway speeds, from a stability POV, or white-knuckle perspective.

You can't get much shorter than a Wrangler. :|
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Jolly Dodger
Just Enlisted

Post by Jolly Dodger » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:10 pm

Jeff / Tom - thanks for the replies. For now I'll stick to the short drives between my parking spot and the boat ramp.

I bought the :macm: as a reasonable entry level overnighter - if it turns out I need to buy a bigger towing beast (and then a house with a bigger garage to house the truck) this may not have been the most frugal of boat choices :| ...
JD

Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:35 pm

Jolly Dodger wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:10 pm
I bought the :macm: as a reasonable entry level overnighter - if it turns out I need to buy a bigger towing beast (and then a house with a bigger garage to house the truck) this may not have been the most frugal of boat choices :| ...
Yep I know where you're coming from but believe me a regular yacht can cost a fortune to maintain compared to a Mac :wink:
All the best.

C Buchs
First Officer

Post by C Buchs » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:53 am

If you just need a bigger tow beast for a once or twice a year vacation, look into renting a truck. I thought about it before we purchased the boat and the ML500. I remember Enterprise being one option.

Jeff

Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:00 am

Jeff you are a man after my own heart. :D
I have an old ML270. It's a great tow car but a lot of things are starting to go wrong with it. So instead of looking to buy another SUV I've been considering renting a UTE for the day to get me to the lake and then another day to get me back .... might work for me because our lake is not so far away.
All the best.