Short tow with minivan

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

green
Just Enlisted

Re: Short tow with minivan

Post by green » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:39 am

That’s certainly a good consideration. Am I correct in thinking that if 3500 is the rating, there is about 1000lbs room to add the outboard motor plus a trailer after factoring in the boat weight?

We have a unique setup where most everything else (people, provisions, etc) will either come in a second car, a second trip, or dock loading near the house (just can’t put in right there hence the need to drive 3 miles).

Starscream
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Starscream » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:40 pm

An X and trailer can hit 5,000 lbs, and I suppose an M could too. Don't know about the S, D or earlier models.

Almost certainly either an X or an M would be over 4,000 lbs.

I'm probably too careful: when I replaced our Durango a couple of years ago I went with a Pathfinder because of its 6k tow capacity. There were a bunch of similar vehicles that I liked more, including the Explorer and the Atlas, but they were all rated at 5k lbs. so I made the sensible choice.

PS my neighbor bought an Atlas...very nice looking SUV but he hates it with a passion. Nothing but trouble and CAA towtrucks at his house.

Be Free
First Officer

Post by Be Free » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:14 pm

My :macx: , lightly loaded (read "almost empty") weighs 2895 pounds. That is boat, outboard, fuel, and batteries. Add in whatever gear you normally have, provisions, water, etc. and you are probably well north of 3500 pounds.

Can his vehicle tow it on flat ground a few miles? Almost certainly.
Can his vehicle stop it on flat ground? Yes, with some additional distance.
Can his vehicle pull it up the ramp in the picture? Without ballast, very likely.
Will he get a ticket if he exceeds the towing capacity of his vehicle? Very good chance.
Will lawyers have a field day if there is an accident? No question about it.

He's asking if it can be done. The answer is "yes". Should it be done? He's the only one who can answer that one.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D

Be Free
First Officer

Post by Be Free » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:21 pm

To the OP:
I just looked up the towing capacity of a 2019 Odyssey. Unless you have the "Touring" model, the towing capacity is 3000 pounds, not 3500.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D

green
Just Enlisted

Post by green » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:02 pm

Great to have that weight info. Thanks. From what I read elsewhere I was thinking 2350 boat + 250 outboard + 600 trailer = 3200. Your setup sounds like it’s in this ballpark.

I have what might be a unique situation where I might be able to store and launch it 1-3 miles from my house (potentially even down the street), so my first question is definitely “can it be done”. From there I agree that the ultimate distance / weight will help to answer the “should” question.

This info is all very helpful.

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:42 pm

Be Free wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:21 pm
To the OP:
I just looked up the towing capacity of a 2019 Odyssey. Unless you have the "Touring" model, the towing capacity is 3000 pounds, not 3500.
Yep. And back in 2004 that’s why I bought a Toyota Sienna - because the towing capacity was 3500 lbs and the Honda was far less. I’ve since upgraded to a Toyota Highlander with 5000 lbs capacity, but I can’t bring myself to sell the Sienna... the dang thing has over 240,000 miles on it and stubbornly refuses to break!

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:20 am

The marketing page for the :macx: shows a boat weight of 2350 lb, and the OEM steel trailer being 710 lb for a published total of 3060 lb. Mind you, that boat has no OB, nor even a headsail. It's the bare bones boat weight. Probably not even an anchor in there. Certainly no fuel tanks, since with no OB, there's no need for fuel. :P :D

My OEM steel trailer has a 3500 lb GVWR, per the original plate. Most folks with an :macx: find that it's more like 4000 lb all-in, ready to use. I've never weighed mine, but I'd guess it's a little heavier than that, as I have a second axle which will add another 100-200 lb with wheels and tires and springs, which you don't need or even want for short trips to the ramp.

Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Be Free
First Officer

Post by Be Free » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:01 am

I was getting the weight of the boat from a spreadsheet I set up when I was doing my repower. I had a typo in my boat weight (it was 100 pounds light).

Boat, motor, fuel, and batteries comes to 2995 pounds. The trailer is 660 pounds bringing the my towed weight to 3655.

Never having owned an OEM steel trailer I had no idea it was so light. Granted, it was a single axle but that is still very lightly built for such a heavy boat.

OP: I think I remember you saying that your tow vehicle is not going to carry any passengers or gear. Even so the vehicle is going to be overloaded (or very close). You will certainly have noticeably increased stopping distances.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:21 am

You will certainly have noticeably increased stopping distances.
If you drive defensively, are aware of distance between you and the vehicle in front, and just all around be a mensch, you will be fine.
Ray ~~_/)~~

green
Just Enlisted

Post by green » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:01 pm

Such a helpful thread. Making plans to be able to pull 5000.

pleb222
Just Enlisted

Post by pleb222 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:53 am

I regularly tow with a Kia sedona. It's actually quite possible to hit the 3500 pound mark with an m. I used the scales at out local junk yard. I have a lithium bank, solar panel, dodger and bimini, anchor, mast, boom and sails in the boat. Everything else is in the car. Fuel and water om arrival at destination. Make sure to have surge or electrical brakes and most importantly a weight distribution hitch with sway bar. We've droven more than 600k in a day without issues. Take it slow, leave space. No problem taking the boat out of the water. There was one steep ramp I spinned a bit on but that's it.
Phil :macm: 2003, Tohatsu TLDI 70

Be Free
First Officer

Post by Be Free » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:40 pm

I'm pretty sure the "stuff in the car" counts as well. The brakes still have to be able to overcome the kinetic energy of the additional mass. The car suspension is actually hit harder since all of the weight will have to be held by the car instead of only the portion that would increase the tongue weight (the rest being carried by the trailer suspension).
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:52 pm

The tow vehicle brakes also have to handle the additional 'push' of the trailer tongue if it has surge brakes. Surge brakes work by the trailer pushing against the hitch when slowing or stopping, so there's an equilibrium that establishes between the trailer brakes and the push against the hitch. May be 5:1, or 10:1, or maybe just 2:1 (trailer brakes to surge coupler force), but it can't be zero as that wouldn't activate the brakes in the first place.

I would imagine a 2-axle trailer with brakes on both axles would exert less force on the coupler, since the same pressure exists at the actuators of both axles. Same stopping force with half the pressure (theoretically).
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

pleb222
Just Enlisted

Post by pleb222 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:50 pm

Be free is right about stuff in the car. You have to make sure you are under GVWR. In my case, we have electric brakes, about 300 pounds of tongue weight, which leaves me with 1400 pounds of cargo for my vehicle. We're a light family. It is perfectly doable to trailer with a van, you just have to make sure everything is tip top shape, drive carefully, have all the added features and especially, you have to pack very light.

If you need to bring along all the bells and whistles, then a van won't do it.
Phil :macm: 2003, Tohatsu TLDI 70

Dguy
Deckhand

Post by Dguy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:21 pm

I tow my 26X with a Kia Sedona without any problems. The tow rating in N.America is 3500lbs, however this minivan is sold as the Carnival in Australia and the UK with a 2000kg or 4400lbs tow rating towing a braked trailer.