New Custom 26X Trailer

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
vkmaynard
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by vkmaynard »

I used the ladder. Worked good enough.

Could be a little closer, but not a deal breaker. I'll ask how that could be done.

Victor
1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by 1st Sail »

I spoke with Todd at BWYachts Fri. The X and M trailers are essentially identical with the exception of the hull angles.
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

That's what I suspected.

Good to know. Then simple mod.

Victor
Danhux
Deckhand

Post by Danhux »

vkmaynard wrote:
Danhux wrote:I live in Wendell, right outside Raleigh, we have a 2003 26M. It’s the original steel trailer, painted black, tires scrub the hull. If I can help I’d love too, I’d also like to get a new trailer, ours makes me nervous it’s got lots of rust.
Perfect. I have a suggestion when my trailer is complete. Bring your 26M to Jordan Lake or Falls Lake and lets try retrieving on the new trailer. Hopefully it will fit close enough and be safe then take it to Triad for them to evaluate. That will allow them to also look at your trailer with no boat like they did with my original trailer.

Victor
The weather this weekend looks wet again, Jordan is where we usually take the boat, but I haven’t seen the water level since thanksgiving.
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

No problem. Headed to the coast to work on our rental this weekend.

Water level no problem. Just switch trailers less than two week earlier. The new trailer is 4" lower which really helps with shallow launches.

Next Sunday is a possibility or during the week after work.

Victor
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

I haven't heard back from Triad on specs and cost for a M trailer as yet. I'm sure he will follow up. I plan to call today in the event I missed his email in my junk folder. Sounds like the X trailer is a win. Now I'm questioning is a second axle is really necessary. The single axle on the OEM trailer tracks like it's on rails with my Yukon XL. My primary concern with the OEM is you are running at 80-90% of rated load vs the new axle which is 5200lbs rated. I thinking dual axles aside from redundancy is not a necessity.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

1st Sail wrote:My primary concern with the OEM is you are running at 80-90% of rated load vs the new axle which is 5200lbs rated. I thinking dual axles aside from redundancy is not a necessity.
This is my pet peeve about trailer axles. They may be rated 3500 lb, or 5200 lb, but how long they last at or near full load is a question mark. Based on what I've seen on RV forums where they talk about travel trailers blowing tires routinely and bearings going bad, I'm very happy that my trailer was modified so it has two (2) axles, each rated 3500 lb.

I softened the suspension, even though they're equalized leaf springs (which means they behave as if the spring rate is halved), there was no reason to have 1750 lb leaf stacks, and the OEM Mac trailer leaves are super thick to start with. Like, can't find replacements anywhere with such thick leaves on such short centers. But I digress.

The thing about bearings is that the statistically probable number of rotations they will survive (B10 life, generally) drops very fast with increased load. Twice the load gives you 1/10 the B10 life for most rolling element bearings, though roller and ball bearings are calculated slightly differently. I've always meant to calculate the B10 life of the bearings in the OEM axle for my boat, at the trailer's rated 3500 lb gross, but never got around to it.

But we used to drive cars made in the 60's and before, with the solid spindle front axles with apposed roller bearings, for 10's of thousands of miles, and repack them once in a while, without failure. Trailers seem to heat up and fry their bearings as a matter of routine. Which makes me think the axle load rating is a bit optimistic, or perfectly satisfactory for twice a year launch/haul duty with only short trips involved.

So if I was ever going to replace an axle that keeps eating bearings, I'd go up in rating, but do what I could to keep the suspension rating down to what the actual load will be, rather than over-suspended so it rides like a tractor-trailer without the trailer (bobtail tractor).
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

Tomfoolery wrote:
1st Sail wrote:My primary concern with the OEM is you are running at 80-90% of rated load vs the new axle which is 5200lbs rated. I thinking dual axles aside from redundancy is not a necessity.
This is my pet peeve about trailer axles. They may be rated 3500 lb, or 5200 lb, but how long they last at or near full load is a question mark. Based on what I've seen on RV forums where they talk about travel trailers blowing tires routinely and bearings going bad, I'm very happy that my trailer was modified so it has two (2) axles, each rated 3500 lb.
I personally asked for a single axle. They handle much better when backing. You can ask Triad for a double axle if desired, for more cost. They also make a triple axle for a J125 (41') if you want super redundancy http://triadtrailers.com/triad-trailer- ... feet/j125/ :D

The 4,600-5,200 lb axle is not near full load.

The original trailer has class "C" tires (1,820 lbs load capacity) with a 3,500 axle. The new trailer has class "D" tires (2,500 load capacity) with 4,600-5,200 lb axle (to be determined on final mod). That is a BIG step from the original.

Victor
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

Mike told me yesterday the trailer with new wider axle and redesgined fenders should be ready by next week.

If so, we need to get an M set on tbe trailer ASAP so he he design tbe mods for the trailer. I need to get rid of my old trailer due to storage issues.

Victor
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

I sent Triad a request for quote for a 26M and Seaward 32RK. I presume I will not have a quote on the 26M until your X trailer is complete.
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

Fitting 26M to new trailer.

Danhux family showed up with their 26M at Falls Lake, NC to test fit their 26M on the new 26X Triad trailer. Mike (Triad owner) took a lot of measurements and pictures.

Mainly the bunks needs to be steeper. Otherwise looking like a working solution.

The 26M trailer was super rusted and the design really odd with the cross-members barely missing the ground.

Great meeting another Mac family.

Victor

SENCMac26x
First Officer

Post by SENCMac26x »

Thanks for sharing this info Vic!

My trailer has deteriorated beyond use and I need to get a new one. (Luckily I keep mine in a slip so it's not as big of an issue)

I'll call these guys up.
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

Final report.

Just picked the trailer Friday after 2nd round of design improvement mods. Perfection!

The wider axle, narrower fenders, extremely turned up rear corner bunks and goalpost side pads allowed Compromise to center and not hit the fenders with no help, first time! Solid 1" fender clearance on each side with no chance of tire rub.

No more side to side movement with the turned up rear corner bunks.

The only mod Mike wants to make is to widen the frame some to increase the max axle weight. Mine is 4,300 lb max which will be OK (800 lb more than the original). He copied the original frame width but had no idea how everything would fit until now. That's what happens when we prototype. Still have class "D" tires, another upgrade.

And the towing is extremely stable with no sway!

Overall, super perfection after 5 months of back and forth redesign work.

Hopefully we will hear from Dan on his 26M trailer.

Victor

Last edited by vkmaynard on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

That is one beautiful trailer, she sits really low which will make it easy to get in and out of the water.

Not sure if the US trailer laws are the same as here in Australia, but I would kill for a set of drawings, maybe Mike might consider selling a set