Super Sport Marine

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Dreamcatcher
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Super Sport Marine

Post by Dreamcatcher »

Has anyone dealt with these people before? Their website features aluminum trailers specifically designed for Macs at attractive prices. Need to know before I send them money.
BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Super Sport Marine

Post by BOAT »

Hey Guys! Dreamcatcher wants to know about a MAC guy in NEBRASKA!

Hey! Any of you guys know this John Gerber dude?

There is a MAC dealer in Nebraska???

Any MAC owners in Nebraska that know this area? If it's for real he could be a good trailer source - anyone know about this guy?

https://supersail.com/

What's up with this - is this for real??
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim »

I know John. He is indeed for real. Honest dealer, and a good person.

He has closed his shop, but I'd say still contact him.

--interim
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Interim wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:53 am I know John. He is indeed for real. Honest dealer, and a good person.

He has closed his shop, but I'd say still contact him.

--interim
Thanks for some info - that's helpful. His shop? Does he build the trailers there? Is he an actual trailer fabricator?
Interim
First Officer

Post by Interim »

No, he's been a sailboat dealer for decades, and a Mac Dealer for a Loooong time (not sure how long). He also had that trailer line, but he is a retailer not a fabricator.

Bought and sold boats all over the country (Kearney is in the middle, after all). An excellent problem solver, so if he can't get what you want, I'm sure he'll figure out how to meet the need.

--interim
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Interim wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:31 am No, he's been a sailboat dealer for decades, and a Mac Dealer for a Loooong time (not sure how long). He also had that trailer line, but he is a retailer not a fabricator.

Bought and sold boats all over the country (Kearney is in the middle, after all). An excellent problem solver, so if he can't get what you want, I'm sure he'll figure out how to meet the need.

--interim
What we really need is an honest person that would provide parts - like the tongue - it's iron and rusts, and axle sets, and other things that members could buy to repair their trailers. It seems that most places just want people to spend 4 grand for a new trailer all the time when all they really need are some parts.
Interim
First Officer

Post by Interim »

I just talked to John Gerber, and he is still very active selling aluminum trailers for all Mac 26 series boats.

--interim
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

BOAT wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:52 am
Interim wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:31 am No, he's been a sailboat dealer for decades, and a Mac Dealer for a Loooong time (not sure how long). He also had that trailer line, but he is a retailer not a fabricator.

--interim
What we really need is an honest person that would provide parts - like the tongue - it's iron and rusts, and axle sets, and other things that members could buy to repair their trailers. It seems that most places just want people to spend 4 grand for a new trailer all the time when all they really need are some parts.
I agree with you, Boat, being able to repair the OEM steel trailer that many of us still have is important. I was fortunate recently (pre-COVUD19) to find mobile welders and metal fabricators that were able, for a reasonable price, to replace all three cross members of the trailer that actually held the boat (stern, midships, and bow). Apparently, the carpeted bunks had, over time, held water next to the steel sufficiently such that too much rust had developed over the course of the 22 years. I was, thus, able to restore my trailer to like new condition, replace the winch, install a bow roller, upgrade to LED lights, drown all the steel in two coats of POR15 plus two of topcoat, and set it up to last another 22 years. Total cost was in the neighborhood of $1200-1300 for everything. That, and about two months of "sweat equity".

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Herschel wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:08 pm
BOAT wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:52 amWhat we really need is an honest person that would provide parts - like the tongue - it's iron and rusts, and axle sets, and other things that members could buy to repair their trailers. It seems that most places just want people to spend 4 grand for a new trailer all the time when all they really need are some parts.
I agree with you, Boat, being able to repair the OEM steel trailer that many of us still have is important. I was fortunate recently (pre-COVUD19) to find mobile welders and metal fabricators that were able, for a reasonable price, to replace all three cross members of the trailer that actually held the boat (stern, midships, and bow). Apparently, the carpeted bunks had, over time, held water next to the steel sufficiently such that too much rust had developed over the course of the 22 years. I was, thus, able to restore my trailer to like new condition, replace the winch, install a bow roller, upgrade to LED lights, drown all the steel in two coats of POR15 plus two of topcoat, and set it up to last another 22 years. Total cost was in the neighborhood of $1200-1300 for everything. That, and about two months of "sweat equity".
I guess I’m fortunate, if you want to call it that, for having dragged my AC welder around every time I’ve moved since I bought the thing after high school in the 70’s. I’ve replaced or repaired many parts on my OEM trailer, and added a bow roller. I think I got that idea from you, Herschel. It works so well I can’t believe it. 8)

But steel parts for the aluminium trailer should be easy to source. The axle is a standard item, AFAIK, and the tongue is just standard HSS (hollow steel section) structural tube with a few holes drilled through it. The pole tongue on my OEM :macx: trailer would be a pain to replace since it’s welded, and even the coupler was a pain, as it too was welded to the tongue. I ground off the welds and replaced it, but used bolts for future ease of repair.

If the pole tongue on mine was getting questionable, I’d probably add a second tube under the original with a continuous seal weld to reinforce the original. Much easier than cutting out the old one and the rusted bottom surface ends up taking virtually no load at that point anyway so it doesn’t matter. If it comes to that, I figure the rest of it will be falling apart by the time that pole tongue is too rotted and needs replacing.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

I realized about 4:30AM this morning that in my enthusiasm about my recent "trailer rescue" at $1,200-1,300, I had failed to relate that several years ago I did have the drum brakes replaced with disk brakes and the coupler replaced, too. The PO had already added the second axle. That, and at least one set of new tires, runs my total trailer maintenance and upgrade cost to around $3,000-3,500 over the 17 years I have had it. So, figure my PO put a thousand into converting the OEM trailer to dual axle, that means this trailer has seen about $4,000-4,500 of upgrades/maintenance. I still think that compares reasonably well with the cost of a new double axle trailer, but the advantage of galvanized or aluminum is certainly a big plus unless you suffer, as I do, from a slightly obsessive-compulsive personality and a predisposition to keep old things functional. :) On the other hand, if you are really wanting a new galvanized or aluminum trailer, feel free to tell your Admiral that this "poor sod" down in Florida has an OEM steel trailer that has cost him and his PO about $4,000-4.500 to maintain and upgrade over the years, so, Honey, we could spring for a brand new puppy with all the bells and whistles for just just a few bucks more. My feelings won't get hurt. Promise! :D
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

I am not going to add all the good quotes here or the post will get too long but for the 900th time Tom points out that I have been severely handicapped as a boat captain because of my lack of welding skills. As I have said about 2000 times: "man, I sure wish I knew how to weld". :cry:
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

BOAT wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:03 am. . . Tom points out that I have been severely handicapped as a boat captain because of my lack of welding skills.
I did?

Well then, if I did, let's get with it, BOAT! You're not getting any younger, and neither is your trailer.

Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a welder! :D

But for those who aren't welders, and don't want to be, it's good there are quality vendors like in the OP that can take good care of us Mac owners. 8)
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

BOAT wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:03 am I am not going to add all the good quotes here or the post will get too long but for the 900th time Tom points out that I have been severely handicapped as a boat captain because of my lack of welding skills. As I have said about 2000 times: "man, I sure wish I knew how to weld". :cry:
It occurred to me that you are in Oceanside. If you need a welder that is somewhat familiar with Mac trailers, my son (stepson to be precise) is a professional welder "down the street" from you in Escondido. He gave me good advice on the recent repairs to my trailer. I'm sure he would be a good resource for anyone in San Diego County.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Herschel wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:21 pm
BOAT wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:03 am I am not going to add all the good quotes here or the post will get too long but for the 900th time Tom points out that I have been severely handicapped as a boat captain because of my lack of welding skills. As I have said about 2000 times: "man, I sure wish I knew how to weld". :cry:
It occurred to me that you are in Oceanside. If you need a welder that is somewhat familiar with Mac trailers, my son (stepson to be precise) is a professional welder "down the street" from you in Escondido. He gave me good advice on the recent repairs to my trailer. I'm sure he would be a good resource for anyone in San Diego County.
Right now the trailer is still in great shape. Last season the trailer got new brakes and bearings while we were on the water in Catalina - we left the trailer with the shop while we were over there for a week. The deal is that the trailer is aluminum and if any of the trailer parts that are aluminum need to be welded you really need a pro so I think taking it to the pros in Escondido is a better idea than letting me ruin the trailer (if something does break) The tongue part seems to be a bolt on unit? - I would assume you could buy that front bolt on unit part that is made of steel, right? :| Aside from that front part what would need repair? Isn't everything else aluminum? Only the pros can weld aluminum (I am told).
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

BOAT wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:21 pm
Herschel wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:21 pm
Right now the trailer is still in great shape. Last season the trailer got new brakes and bearings while we were on the water in Catalina - we left the trailer with the shop while we were over there for a week. The deal is that the trailer is aluminum and if any of the trailer parts that are aluminum need to be welded you really need a pro so I think taking it to the pros in Escondido is a better idea than letting me ruin the trailer (if something does break) The tongue part seems to be a bolt on unit? - I would assume you could buy that front bolt on unit part that is made of steel, right? :| Aside from that front part what would need repair? Isn't everything else aluminum? Only the pros can weld aluminum (I am told).
You have me at a disadvantage. About the only thing I have that is aluminum are a couple of deck chairs and my boat hook! Ok , our mast and boom. :) But, I know my son does a lot of welding aluminum. And, yes, my local marine repair shop installed the new coupler a few years ago. It is a bolt on unit. I took it off when I painted my trailer. I wanted to wire brush and get POR15 inside the square center beam. As life would have it, I have ended up with three non-galvanized steel trailers---my Mac trailer, my Forest River travel trailer, and a short dinghy trailer my brother picked out several years ago when we were restoring our 1959 O'Day Sprite. I am working on the under chassis of my travel trailer this month using some POR15 for springs and Rustoleum Reform and Seal for the rest of the chassis. If you are ever really bored, you can follow that story on the Forest River forum. Enjoy all the things you can do in life because you do have an aluminum trailer and not a steel one. I just didn't get dealt that hand, apparently. :P
https://www.forestriverforums.com/forum ... 04698.html