Trailering Furled Genoa Ideas ??

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Inquisitor
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Trailering Furled Genoa Ideas ??

Post by Inquisitor » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:32 am

What do you all do?

I have the CDI furler with the Genoa. I've trailered with it strapped to the mast flopping around in the wind. It gets grungy on the road. I've trailered with it inside the boat, but it has to be bent 180 in the rear berth. It leaves a kink when raised and not enough tension can be used to straiten it out. Any great ideas out there?

I'm wondering if I could simply make some kind of container using PVC pipe.

Maybe using one size for the furled sail with a coupling to expand to hold the CDI and then go so far as having a screw on end cap.
Then... maybe mount it under the trailer neck and run it back under the trailer above the axle.

Surely, there's a better way.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call

Jimmyt
Admiral

Re: Trailering Furled Genoa Ideas ??

Post by Jimmyt » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:08 am

Lots of different approaches. Here is mine. Doesn't flop around, but will not protect from road grunge. Haven't seen a totally enclosed headsail carrying system before. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

https://macgregorsailors.com/mods/index ... em&id=2119
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:44 am

I normally do like Jimmyt showed, but sometimes I undo the top of the forestay and pull the whole thing back so the furler drum rests on the pulpit with a bungie to hold it fast. I do that for winter storage anyway, under a tarp, but with the sail removed.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:50 am

Jimmyt wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:08 am
Lots of different approaches. Here is mine. Doesn't flop around, but will not protect from road grunge. Haven't seen a totally enclosed headsail carrying system before. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

That's sure ominous... guess the crutch being there is better than the alternative. Then again when everyone said mast crutch... I thought they were talking about holding up the mast. :P :D

Oh! And I don't have UV trailing edge... so grunge looks worse. Black solves that problem... BRILIANT. Maybe, I'll just go with that solution.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:13 am

Inquisitor wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:50 am
[quote=Jimmyt post_id=345936 time=<a href="tel:1605024502">1605024502</a> user_id=16979]

That's sure ominous... guess the crutch being there is better than the alternative. Then again when everyone said mast crutch... I thought they were talking about holding up the mast. :P :D

Oh! And I don't have UV trailing edge... so grunge looks worse. Black solves that problem... BRILIANT. Maybe, I'll just go with that solution.
[/quote]
The crutch was what I inherited from the PO. I hope you looked at the one I made out of sewer pipe to replace it. :D The crutch was always good for a few comments though.

I think there is a new UV material that is much lighter than what I have. I would think lighter is better if you don't have to take out a mortgage to get it.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River