Me and my sailor

The more family-friendly room of the Pub. General discussion of topics which don't fit into one of the other fora, not necessarily sailing-related. No political or religious discussions.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Me and my sailor

Post by Catigale » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:48 pm

My Caitlin has been finishing grad school and has been stuck in EU since January. Just got her a flight home this week, picking her up Thursday at JFK

Fingers crossed all goes well

On the water in the boat, and in Venice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Me and my sailor

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:01 pm

Well, it's not quite the same thing, but I just came home from Nova Scotia on Friday after being there all week on essential business. Absolutely no problem at the border. In fact, they messed up my flights, so I elected to rent a car and drive home from Toronto. I was the only person at the border crossing. With nobody in the mirror, or in front as far as I could see, and that was pretty far.

I'm sitting in my Class B in the driveway right now, in fact, and have been living in it for a couple of days, stealing my own Wi-Fi. But will get tested this week. Gotta stay away from family for health reasons for a while.

But hopefully she'll have no trouble crossing her own border. It took some doing to get into Canada, including letters from employer, the Provincial Health Minister, and Occupational Health and Safety, but no trouble at all coming home. So there's that. :)

Edit: Oh, and if I have to go back again, which is a distinct possibility, I'll drive to Toronto and fly direct. Anything to avoid JFK, but no matter the route, it takes three airplanes to get from here to there. :P
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:55 pm

Oh, and if she wants to get tested, she should make an appointment now for when she gets back later. Mine isn’t until this coming Wednesday. :x

Coming in from another country is, AFAIK, an automatic ‘yes’ to the prescreening process, at least at Walgreens. I may try another location, with walk-in only status, but the one I called said it takes days to get the result.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:34 am

Catigale wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:48 pm
My Caitlin has been finishing grad school and has been stuck in EU since January. Just got her a flight home this week, picking her up Thursday at JFK

Fingers crossed all goes well

On the water in the boat, and in Venice
Congratulation :!:

Along with a great education, I’m sure she had a great time in Venice. There’s actually an advantage to being there during the pandemic; the canal’s are clean, not smelly. :D

Is this the daughter that went to undergraduate school on the Main Line? Was it Bryn Mawr?
Ray ~~_/)~~

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:53 am

Summa cum laude BrynMawr, indeed. Another one of my underachievers

Her last three months have been in a Durham UK but she has managed to tour Scotland a lot.

She picked up a soccer game with a bunch of boys not used to ladies playing, knocked them all down and then bent the back of the net.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:04 am

Catigale wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:53 am
Summa cum laude BrynMawr, indeed. Another one of my underachievers

Her last three months have been in a Durham UK but she has managed to tour Scotland a lot.

She picked up a soccer game with a bunch of boys not used to ladies playing, knocked them all down and then bent the back of the net.
There is a word in Yiddish “Kvell”. It comes from German “quellen: to gush or to swell. You have every right to kvell, or quellen, or both :D
Ray ~~_/)~~

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:36 am

Congrats.

Welcome home captain Caitlin.
--Russ

Catigale
Site Admin

Post by Catigale » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:35 pm

48 more hours before she is back in port. I’ll see her at 8 Thursday night.

Catigale
Site Admin

Post by Catigale » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:00 am

Well, the day is finally here. Going to be great to see her again!

Next stop, Cuttyhunk!

Ps....yes,she is the Cat in Catigale....

Catigale
Site Admin

Post by Catigale » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:08 am

And we are fully crewed once more...

JFK was absolutely empty , freaky creepy

She a total of20 people on a 777-309ER
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:56 pm

Great news! I know you're glad to have her home! Sounds like a great kid.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River