LED cabin lights

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

LED cabin lights

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:03 pm

Some of the LED cabin lights in my 26M are starting to flicker. Besides, I dont like the horrible LED white light they put out, which isnt enough to read by. Can anyone recommend a good warm light replacement available in Oz somewhere that gives out a decent amount of light?
Cheers,
Paul

Mistral
First Officer
Location: Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, VIC., Australia 2005 26M "Indigo Blue" 50HP E-Tec

Re: LED cabin lights

Post by Mistral » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:35 pm

I would do a Google search. There are quite a few on line stores in OZ, such as http://www.ledcentral.com.au/

Dirk

Berber Boy
First Officer
Location: Paynesville, VIC 3880 AUSTRALIA WindSong 2016 26M 75hp Etec

Post by Berber Boy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:13 am

Some of the LED replacement bulbs I got from ledcentral were reasonably warm. But I have installed complete 26 LED lights with RED and white switching. They are plenty to read by and you could warm them up with a soft amber gelatin filter cutout to size.

They really decrease your battery draw though.

Dave

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:52 am

Just want to do an easy drop in replacement bulb rather than whole new lights - any comments on these, certainly cheap enough?! Maybe not a warm light though, probably that horrible LED white...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/36-White-12V-LED ... 3a62d7e953

cruiser
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S
Location: Brisbane, Australia. "Myuna" Macgregor 26S, 8HP Nissan outboard

Post by cruiser » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:30 am

Mac26MPaul wrote:Just want to do an easy drop in replacement bulb rather than whole new lights - any comments on these, certainly cheap enough?! Maybe not a warm light though, probably that horrible LED white...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/36-White-12V-LED ... 3a62d7e953
HI Paul,
Just wondering if you went ahead and purchased any of these LEDs? I need to replace one bulb cabin light and add another.

Thinking of buying one or a few of the $14.95 LED Bunklights that Whitworths have on sale at present, however not too sure what colour light they put out and can't find any specific info on the packaging.
Last edited by Hamin' X on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Repaired quote

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Sun May 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Yeah mate, I ordered them on the 7th of April No sign as yet..... Just emailed them - thanks for reminding me :wink:
Paul

cruiser
Engineer

Post by cruiser » Sun May 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks Paul, will be interested to hear the outcome.

PS. By the way, you have excelled yourself with your latest dingy purchase - a real stunner.

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Wed May 04, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks mate 8) Its gunna look real strange with an M towing that around the bay though. One extreme to the other sort of thing LOL Off to pick her up today actually :D

As for the lights. I sent them an email. They replied to my email with a blank email??? I explained that I dont understand what that is about, and havnt been replied to this time. If no reply by tomorrow, I'll put in a dispute to get my money back through paypal and give em a miss.......... Shame though as they looked to be similar to what the guys in the US are using (and cheaper). If you can get them here somewhere, you can bet they will be twice the price of the US.

Geez we get ripped off here on boat stuff. I bought a coupla of inspection hatchs off a UK ebay seller yesterday for about $3.90 each. Here in Whitworths, they are $20 LOL...

cruiser
Engineer

Post by cruiser » Wed May 04, 2011 6:45 pm

Geez we get ripped off here on boat stuff. I bought a coupla of inspection hatchs off a UK ebay seller yesterday for about $3.90 each. Here in Whitworths, they are $20 LOL...
I guess I will have to start looking OS on the web a bit more - just paid $30.20 for 2 inspection ports :( . I suspect we have a lot of wholesalers in the chain before some of this stuff gets to our retailers - plus shopfront retailers will forever be under pressure from high volume web retailers, who don't have the high labour costs and probably a much faster stock turn. Our strong currency also helps a lot now with purchasing OS.

My son gets most of his computer bits and pieces from a crowd called MSY (who happen luckily to be just up the road from us) and their prices make other retailers look crazy. They have minimal customer interaction and a real stand in line 'next please' atmosphere + I suspect direct importing + nothing flash about the suburban street premises. They win hands down on value for money though.

Enjoy the new sailboat mate - you deserve it after a long search.

cruiser
Engineer

Post by cruiser » Wed May 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Some of the LED cabin lights in my 26M are starting to flicker. Besides, I dont like the horrible LED white light they put out, which isnt enough to read by.
Hi Paul, Whilst I am at it, how many LEDs did your current bulbs have in them?

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Tue May 17, 2011 8:16 pm

Sorry mate, didnt see your msg.

The round style LED bulbs I had in there have 33 LEDs in them.

As for my order, well it arrived and I should say that the Chinese mob I bought them from were very proffesional and willing to resolve the issue even though I didnt pay for registered postage. The LEDs finally arrived today, but they have also sent me a replacement lot (however I will pay them for those too as they were fair with me, and I will use them in the Mac anyway).

The bulbs are 36 LEDs and are a simple drop in replacement with double sided tape already in place to stick them straight into the Macs lights. Although its daytime, I can see that they are putting out a lot of light, however it does appear to be the standard LED white. I prefer the warm colour traditional light but for the price, these seem to be a great drop in replacement. I will probably ask them if they can get them in the warm 'real' light colour, which I'm told you can now get LEDs in.

Paul

cruiser
Engineer

Post by cruiser » Tue May 17, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks for that info Paul. They sound like they must be very bright, with 36LEDs? According to my calculations 2-3 LEDs seem to equal about 1W but there must be more to it than that as I don't imagine any internal boat lights would be putting out 12-18W - what do you think? Then again times have probably moved on from the days when I had a 2W masthead light, as most masthead bulbs now seem to be 10W+.

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Wed May 18, 2011 1:05 am

I dont know how they rate em, but no, they are not hugely bright, about the same as the previous ones i had in there. Sitting under one of the lights I can read, but not sitting on the opposite bunk. To be honest, I wish they were about twice as bright (but warm light), however beggers cant be choosers, they are as good as I had before and a lot cheaper so they will do.

cruiser
Engineer

Post by cruiser » Wed May 18, 2011 1:41 am

Thanks Mate, I must check out with a sparky and find out how they are rated for output. Think I will go ahead and buy 3 of the Whitworths el cheapo reading lights on Friday - they have their twice yearly sale starting then (20% off I think) and I need some decent quality life jackets as well.

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Wed May 18, 2011 2:21 am

Yeah I'm tempted to take a drive down there myself. They have a 900kg rated trailer winch on special half price for 35 bucks at the moment so thats about 30 with Fridays 15 percent off. Should be a lot better than the super dodgy 500kg rated one on the M trailer... Problem is, I will no doubt end up buying heaps of other crap and the missus will not be happy, as I told her I wouldnt buy boat stuff for a while LOL