Antifoul

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

FLASH

Antifoul

Post by FLASH » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:15 am

Has anyone had experience with Ultrasonic Antifoul as a means to combat the beasties. Jaycar has a product for $249 that is claimed to do the job. It can be seen on http://www.jaycar.com.au together with a testimonial as to its effectiveness.

Boblee
Admiral

Re: Antifoul

Post by Boblee » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 am

Someone on here used it a couple (few?) of years ago but not really sure how it worked but is probably still in the archives, try a search.
Think it was pretty dear, that sounds very cheap.

Mistral
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, VIC., Australia 2005 26M "Indigo Blue" 50HP E-Tec

Re: Antifoul

Post by Mistral » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Ian,

I did have a trial with the ultrasonic cleaning method and found it hopeless. It was not a Jaycar unit, so I can not comment on those.
We put the ultrasonic sensor at various positions on the boat and received a good signal. However the barnacles kept on growing. In the end after trialling it for about 2 months I told them to take it away and get my boat cleaned. Barnacles were more than 25mm thick on the keel and it took them 3 days to clean it.
I thought the idea was great, but it did not work.

Dirk