2017 off to a great start

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

2017 off to a great start

Post by sunshinecoasting »

Well I have been looking for a new job for a year now and right before Christmas I cracked it for a ripper, an awesome job in IT for a really great firm. Heres the best part, the start date is Feb 1st which means I have all of January to go sailing, yay. So I have already committed to two weeks in the Mooloolaba marina with the family finishing on the 9th Jan, after which I have decided to sail from Mooloolaba straight to Tangalooma on Moreton Island and then make my way down to Peel Island and Dunwich to top up water and supplies, from here I dont know but am looking for suggestions, I am hoping Paul might jump in and provide some advice from there, I will probably continue south but also like the idea of a night anchored in Brisbane? Any advice or suggestions welcomed, I will be on my own and dont need to be home until very late January.

Cheers, Dennis.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: 2017 off to a great start

Post by NiceAft »

Well Dennis,

I have no idea about any of those places, but I would like to say congratulations, and all of the best with the new gig.

Ray
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Thanks Ray, it is always daunting starting a new job but I got really good vibes from this firm so am really looking forward to it.

Cheers Dennis.
Fresh Breeze
Chief Steward

Post by Fresh Breeze »

Hi Dennis, That's great news on the new job for 2017. As for us, we are now retired, lots of time to go boating, when the weather lets us. Hope the weather is kind for your sail south. When you get some time to get up our way, drop us a line to catch up some where in the "Great Sandy's"
Cheers Ken & Christine
sunshinecoasting
First Officer

Thanks Ken and Christine, I sure will let you know, I'm hoping for around Sep/Oct whale season on 2017 for the Sandies, too far away at the moment to make definite plans.

How is that new boat of yours going? I bet you are enjoying the simplicity of stepping aboard and just cruising.

Cheers, Dennis.
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

Hi Dennis.

Sorry, I had not seen this thread beforehand, but it was good to meet you at the Big Sand Hills (You should have climbed them!) and again at Peel.

Congrats on finding yourself a good job. They are very hard to come by these days...

As to the emailing photos. I remember it was one of the early explorers, possibly Lawson.. Told ya the memory is a bit dodgy. :wink:

Here is a couple of your boat you should be able to download in full res if you click on them. There are some others there at the photobucket site too.

How did the Mozzies go at Peel. We started getting clouds of them! Thats when we moved out and down about a 100 meters and there were none there! I brought the boat back in in the morning and you were still there. I went below to make the bacon and eggs, looked up and you were gone.

I will possibly put a video or two on youtube in the next few weeks that may have some Ariel footage of your boat so I will post a link if I do.

Cheers,
Paul
sunshinecoasting
First Officer

Hi Paul,

It wasn't Lawson, it was that city near Sydney called Lithgow, :wink:

Got back to the Sunshine coast yesterday after a huge day battling big winds and bigger seas, both of which knocked me about a fair bit, still enjoyed the trip though and made record time of 7 hours and one minute from Scarborough harbour to Mooloolaba harbour averaging 5.1 knots to cover 35 Nm, happy with that.

Mozzies weren't too bad at Peel for me, I did burn a few coils though but don't know if that helped. Love the aerial photos and if you have more I would love to get a copy via email, let me know via PM if you need help with my email address.

I saw Little Annie at her mooring as I went past the other day, it was blowing a nasty northerly and she was bobbing about and looking lonely.

Well in total I did 220 Nm that's nearly 400 Klms in 10 days, most without the motor, happy with the sailing and the weather. Had a blast and loved both Peel island and St. Helena Island, I also spent a night anchored near Storey Bridge in Brisbane, that was a nice night but had to work against the tide in both directions in the Brisbane river, it flows fast there and burned a lot of fuel to cover a short distance.
I kind of fell in love with Dunwich too, don't know why, nothing special just a quaint little town.

Well cheers, for now, Dennis.
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

Lithgow, geez I was a bit off...

Great effort on the cruise there! So if you passed my boat, you made it down to Jumpinpin I'm guessing. And you made it up the Brisbane river! We have been planning that for ages but never got around to it. Yeah I heard you need to go with the tide on the river.

We love Peel, its just a big swimming pool! I like the small ships club at Dunwich... If you go back to Dunwich with the better half, take your dinghy and tie it up at the Small ships club. From there you can catch a bus to Point Lookout which is very nice with a great walk around the point. Heres a vid that shows a bit of Point lookout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThVdsbQ3Qiw

I'll pm you about the photos. I did get some video with your boat in it at Peel but its too big to email. I may use it in a video I might put up on youtube at some stage. I did upload a few other short videos of a few of the anchorages we were at.
Big Sand Hills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rsQPVyO3QM
Kooringal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDOtuXB9Rac
Myora Springs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P23tBvgpIuQ

Paul