26D new motor needed

An area for discussion of sailing-related topics of particular interest to Canadians

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

george traini
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

26D new motor needed

Post by george traini » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:38 pm

It is time for a new motor for my 26D my 7.5 honda has been good but getting hard to start. I would buy a honda 9.9 as I have a good dealer repair shop near by , but I have heard that the over all size reduces using the motor to turn in tight spaces. I am open to other brands if I have access to repair and parts Midland Ont. Please advise on good and bad of 8-9.9 motors. Also the dealer has a 8 hp Honda in stock ??

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: 26D new motor needed

Post by Jimmyt » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:51 am

george traini wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:38 pm
It is time for a new motor for my 26D my 7.5 honda has been good but getting hard to start. I would buy a honda 9.9 as I have a good dealer repair shop near by , but I have heard that the over all size reduces using the motor to turn in tight spaces. I am open to other brands if I have access to repair and parts Midland Ont. Please advise on good and bad of 8-9.9 motors. Also the dealer has a 8 hp Honda in stock ??
George,
You might try posting this under the Macgregor/Venture heading or even repairs/modifications to get more responses. Sometimes the special interest areas don't get much action.

If your boat is on a trailer, take it to the dealership and have him clamp on an 8 hp and see how it looks. Make sure it tilts and steers, etc. The variations in mounting brackets, installation positions, etc, may make "general advice" misleading. If you want to post a pic of your setup to see if someone has a similar rig, use the "Add image to post" click box at the lower left of the text entry pane (blue box with a P).

I'm sure you have plenty of wind and current in your area, so more hp is better up to the point that it won't steer, or tears the mount off the stern.

Welcome to the forum!

Jim
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

george traini
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by george traini » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:17 am

thank you for your attention
unable to buy a new motor at this time their are no motors available. just had my 1989 7.5 Honda rebuilt .
thanks for having this forum.
geroge

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:47 am

Wow. That's something I never thought I'd hear. "No motors available". Glad you found a solution, though.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River