Where to buy Mac 26M in Europe or better import from US?

An area for discussion of sailing-related topics of particular interest to Europeans

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

lingvo
Just Enlisted

Where to buy Mac 26M in Europe or better import from US?

Post by lingvo » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:29 am

Hi all

Hope this european community still live.

I'm located in Germany and looking for couple of years already for a Mecgregor 26M. It looks like it is a very rare boat nowadays. There are couple of 26X on the market even in Germany, but 26M is a problem.

I loked on ebay kelinanzeigen, iNautia, Boat24 and found few in Italy, one in Spain and one in Netherlands at the prices ranging from 25k to 30k euros. Netherlands one gone relatively quickly, italian one's are still there.

Perhaps someone could give me a hint, where can I find more Macgregors to sale?

Also question - did someone import used Mac from USA? Is it very complex with CE certification etc?

kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Where to buy Mac 26M in Europe or better import from US?

Post by kurz » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:49 am

I imported 2011 a new one, an 26m.

Motor bought here. So no problem. The difficult was the trailer. But at the end I managed with the original trailer Alu with new EU tandem axles and lights.

If you should get it from USA watch that you have the CE package. What will be very seldom I guess.
Or get information, if you could do the CE here.
With BWY you can get any parts you need for as 2 bilge pumps, stern rails,.... I think that's all. The question is what will it cost in DE to get the CE stamp.

lingvo
Just Enlisted

Post by lingvo » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:42 am

Thanks Kurz
If you should get it from USA watch that you have the CE package.
What is this CE package? Is it some equipment only or also certificate of conformity for particular hull? I really need to get this CE certificate, as otherwise I can't register the boat.

kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:35 pm

both.
I have this CE Paper and on the Boat there is a CE label. And there ARE changes on the boat following different regulations in USA / Europe.

As fare as I can remember: CE/EU wants an electrical bilge pump, and a manual one (not in USA).
CE/EU wants stern rails, not necessaire in USA. So there are very few things to change. You can order all original at blue water yachts. The shall know exactely what you need in detail.

If you want a scan from my CE you can contact me with your email.

Next question you should know: Where you can do the CE here in DE and what will it cost. As fare as I know they want to see your boat and want to do all the tests. So it c o u l d be expensive... Technically it is easy peasy if you order the right things in advance. When I remember correctely te CE package was ca. 2500.-- extra.

Nufizo
Sailboat: Tattoo 22

Post by Nufizo » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:08 am

I am searching for Mac 26M too but I want to get it to Italy as my wife's family has property in Sardinia here and we spent most of our summer with kids in this island. But so far I couldn't find anything dissent. Maybe I will have to expand my search into all Europe.

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:00 am

Not knocking the M (although it would be easy), why do you not consider an X? It should be less expensive, nicht wahr? 8)

lingvo
Just Enlisted

Post by lingvo » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:46 am

dlandersson wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:00 am
Not knocking the M (although it would be easy), why do you not consider an X? It should be less expensive, nicht wahr? 8)
It's more like taste thing. I was sailing X couple of times and just think M should be better. However didn't have chance to check this in reality.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:08 am

I understand, but if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride, nicht whar?

The X is very similar to the M, except the cabin is smaller and the cockpit is larger(preferable for many people). The head is bigger and in a better location for many people. :wink:

lingvo wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:46 am
dlandersson wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:00 am
It's more like taste thing. I was sailing X couple of times and just think M should be better. However didn't have chance to check this in reality.

lingvo
Just Enlisted

Post by lingvo » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:22 am

dlandersson wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:08 am
The X is very similar to the M, except the cabin is smaller and the cockpit is larger(preferable for many people). The head is bigger and in a better location for many people. :wink:
Well, I wasn't impressed of the head on X, so thought M would be better in this sense (more open space). Also heard that M is a bit faster.

But in principle my main preference is - younger is better. I am mentally not ready to buy a 20-years old X and prefer 2007-2009 M, or even better 2014 Tattoo 26 - there was one on Mallorca, but it's gone.

PS. BTW is it easy to temporary retrofit M to the same setup as in your music video? Will it add couple of knots on motor?

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:39 am

If you're in Europe, you might also look into the Odin 28 (also currently sold as the "Imexus 28". See: https://imexusyachts.com/portfolio/proj ... uare-book/). If I recall correctly, it's a German design built in Poland.

It's a very much "beefed up" version of the Macgregor power-sailers. Still trailerable, with a water ballast and swing keel like a 26X, but a bit larger and heavier than the Macs and reportedly designed and built to better withstand typically rougher "North Sea sailing". It presently comes in both CE "B" and "C" classifications--important for Europe, if not North America, as another recent thread here described.

They're A LOT more expensive than Macs were in their heyday, even adjusting for inflation, but with an imported 26M possibly requiring at least a $4,000 inspection to perhaps get a lowish CE rating for inland-only, or near coastal use at best, unless one can find one with an existing CE rating suitable for one's planned sailing, one should perhaps also factor that in, especially if considering an American import.

There are comparatively few Odins or Imexuses in America, though I believe they do have a Canadian importer. But I did find this YouTube channel of a nice couple who found one appropriately named "Split Personality", if you'd like a good looksee. The "Admiral" ain't to hard on the eyes either: https://youtube.com/c/BarefootSailingAdventures

adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:57 am

ROFL.. an Albanian rapper/pop artist .. trying to look cool... (poser..)

adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:02 am

Imexus (made in Poland I believe) also sold as Odin.. Bare foot sailing adventure bough a used one (youtube ) called split personality. Was listed for about 30k us.. had some glass damage on the cockpit.. not sure what they got it for..
MUCH more common in Europe that a Mac.. or a Hunter 27 Edge..etc

AD

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:56 am

If you want a nice walk-through of an Imexus 28 at a recent boat show in Germany (Düsseldorf?), see this: Brand new with trailer and 115 HP Evinrude motor they say in the video that it'll cost you €81,000 (about $98,000). But of course, we all know that's just where the fun begins! Start adding those "necessary options" and soon you're talking big BIG money.

I think I'll just hold onto my humble 26X, which is rather what the Odin or Imexus 28 rather resembles: a REALLY well-made MacGregor 26X, with all its (for me) desirable features over its later sibling the 26M: swing-keel for those shallows (instead of the 26M's dagger board), head (toilet) near the companionway with real standing room, bigger cockpit, and just its other overall layout. The resemblance probably shouldn't be surprising, since I seem to recall reading somewhere how the Odin 27 and subsequent 28 (also known as the Odin 720 and 820 respectively) were designed by a couple of former German importers of MacGregors who thought they could design something a bit better and sturdier than the 26Xs they were selling at the time, and then build them in Poland, where it was a bit more cost-effective.

Scanning through a few yachts-for-sale sites it looks like one could pick up used Odins in Europe for as little as this early model Odin 27 in Greece asking just €22,500 ($25,650), or roughly on par with a really nice 26M here in the USA, as shown at https://dailyboats.com/boat/136649-buy- ... otorsailer, with prices heading quickly north from there, typically somewhere between $30,000 and $60,000. A list of Imexus dealerships around the world can be found at https://imexusyachts.com/dealer-2/. They may also know of used ones available, owner groups...that sort of thing.

Und letztlich, ganz für uns'ren Originalposter zu geniessen, ein Film auf Deutsch:

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:23 am

Some really good points (esp. the Odin 27 in Greece, depending on it's condition) but I think it's a bit optimistic to think a dealer (whose rice bowel is selling boats) is going to point you towards an alternative. 8)

Bilgemaster
First Officer

Post by Bilgemaster » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:36 pm

dlandersson wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:23 am
Some really good points (esp. the Odin 27 in Greece, depending on it's condition) but I think it's a bit optimistic to think a dealer (whose rice bowel is selling boats) is going to point you towards an alternative. 8)
Sure...They might try to hardsell you on a new one, but a couple of those "dealerships" are clearly brokers who sell all kinds of boats new and used. And like I said earlier, they may know of owners groups or other resources. The closest thing I could find resembling that was a sort of tattered website called the "Odin Power Sailor Site" at https://odinpowersailor.weebly.com/bow2stern.html, which seems to have been cobbled together a while back by an Australian broker and Imexus dealer. But its "Forum" feature and some other functions just aren't activated--possibly never were.