Starboard side aft leak

bubblehead
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Starboard side aft leak

Post by bubblehead »

We have had our Tattoo almost 3 years now, and have a leak on the bottom part of the bulkhead, starboard side in the aft berthing area. It was dry when we headed out on the lake this morning, and when we returned to the dock, the carpeted part of the bulkhead was wet. The winds were 5-10 and didn't heal more than 5 degrees. Any ideas where this is coming from?
kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: Starboard side aft leak

Post by kmclemore »

Possibly the sink drain through-hull or the tubing to the sink is leaking?
bubblehead

Post by bubblehead »

Our sink is on the port side. We think the leak is coming from around the rub rail.
K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by K9Kampers »

bubblehead wrote:... the carpeted part of the bulkhead was wet. The winds were 5-10 and didn't heal more than 5 degrees. Any ideas where this is coming from?
Is your ice chest leaking?!! :P :wink:
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Well at least it,s not the head ! :P

J 8)
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Is there water under the aft berth?

Where is the "bulkhead"? The part back by the steering gear?

One intrusion point is where the steering cable exits into the motor well.
Sagacity

Post by Sagacity »

Mine did leak a very little in the same area, but only when it rained. Water would run down the bolt through the steering linkage and run in the pipe and then empty on to the area you describe. I filled the steering pipe with silicone sealant just behind the vertical linkage bolt and the problem went away. On a slightly different note, one of these days I am going to drill and change the linkage bolt to be horizontal so it does not hit the engine cable bundle. I have wrapped the engine cables in doubled flexible conduit, but it is a bandaid on a problem.
bubblehead

Post by bubblehead »

Sorry it took me so long to respond. We thought we would just start sealing and/or replacing until we fixed the leak. We got lucky and after resealing the rubrail until we have the time to replace it, the cabin is dry! We had torrential rains this past week and not a drop anywhere.