Tattoo Questions

Syoungs7
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Tattoo Questions

Post by Syoungs7 »

New to the Tattoo and would greatly appreciate some basic information.
1. Rudders - owners manual says "fully down" - Really? Straight down?
2. Boom topping lift - remove it will sail up and then attach it where?
Ezra_BWY
Just Enlisted

Re: Tattoo Questions

Post by Ezra_BWY »

The rudders should be in the straight down position when they are in the water, yes. It is a balanced rudder design, leaving them trailing behind creates a large amount of force "side-to-side" which puts stress on the top of the rudder and can cause damage to the rudder, rudder head, or both. It is important to use the rudder line to tie them down to the plastic cleat in their down-most position.

I am not sure I understand the question about the topping lift. Topping lifts can be done a number of ways. With our topping lift kit you'd have a strap eye pop-riveted to the end of the boom that the snap hook on the end of the topping lift line snaps to. I can't say for certain if you've got a strap eye at the end of the boom but that's a pretty common way of attachment.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I am going out on a limb here, but I think you mean “remove it WITH the sail up”, at least I think that is what you meant to ask. :D

I believe that means once the main sail is raised all of the way, just loosen the topping lift by letting out the halyard a little, and then tying it off again. This will let the main sail form an efficient shape. When getting ready to lower the main, tighten up on the topping so as to stop the boom from crashing into the cockpit, and also allowing the main sail to lower easier.

Ray
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

In the case of the :macx: , I have the topping lift set to a height that keeps it from drooping excessively with the main sail lowered, but the sail raises the boom enough that I don't have to slacken the TL to sail. I never have to adjust the TL once it's set up in the spring.

I do wind the TL around the boom a couple of times when in the slip or at anchor to make more headroom, but that's just so I'm not bopping my head into it.

As to the rudders, mine are a little different, but having them less than vertical makes for very hard steering, which is hard on the mounting system and steering linkage, and for that matter, on the helmsman. All the way down, or all the way up. Like ballast - all the way in, or all the way out (but not for sailing), nothing in between.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Ditto 8)
Tomfoolery wrote:In the case of the :macx: , I have the topping lift set to a height that keeps it from drooping excessively with the main sail lowered, but the sail raises the boom enough that I don't have to slacken the TL to sail. I never have to adjust the TL once it's set up in the spring.

I do wind the TL around the boom a couple of times when in the slip or at anchor to make more headroom, but that's just so I'm not bopping my head into it.

As to the rudders, mine are a little different, but having them less than vertical makes for very hard steering, which is hard on the mounting system and steering linkage, and for that matter, on the helmsman. All the way down, or all the way up. Like ballast - all the way in, or all the way out (but not for sailing), nothing in between.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I find with my :macm: , that I need to lift the boom to give headroom when not sailing. By having the boom pulled high, the main raises easier. When sailing, I just realease the topping lift. Having all lines running to the cockpit makes this very easy. No going up on deck to handle any halyards.

I also have a flat head main. This also could make a difference.

I am not familiar with the Tatoo set up, and would find it interesting to know how it actually looks like.

Ray
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

The topping lift BWY installed on my Mac is simple and works great.

A line from top of mast to end of boom with 2 clips. One while under sail (lower) and another to get it high above my head (top)

As shown (under sail) it's loose and will keep the boom from falling when the main is dropped.
After the sail is stowed, I clip the higher one to get it up high. Simple, easy peezy.

--Russ
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Nice idea Russ :)
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Yeah, I should probably just add a second snap hook to the existing line, but I worry about that metal hook banging against the sail all the time. Not that my sail can't take it - it's original, shaped like a potato chip (or crisp, if you like), and has taken a lot already. :D
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

I like the concept Russ, or should I say I like the concept Blue Water Yachts :D

As I stated, because I have all lines led aft to the coxkpit, it is is just a matter of pulling a line to lift the boom to whatever height I want, or letting out line to (as they say) lower the boom. It’s That easy. I can though, under stand the advantage of this system if one does not have all the lines running to the cockpit.

Ray
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Tomfoolery wrote:Yeah, I should probably just add a second snap hook to the existing line, but I worry about that metal hook banging against the sail all the time. Not that my sail can't take it - it's original, shaped like a potato chip (or crisp, if you like), and has taken a lot already. :D
The upper clip doesn't really seem to bang into the sail. Not a problem at all.

Ray,
The topping lift led back is the way I've always used in the past. It gives more control over how high/low to raise the boom. There are times when this is handy. It does require another line to a block and back down the mast.
I hate the clanking of halyards. My last boat had internal halyards so this wasn't an issue.

The BWY topping lift seemed too simple when I first got it. I've now grown to appreciate the simplicity of it.
Just another option for folks to consider.

--Russ
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

RussMT wrote:My last boat had internal halyards so this wasn't an issue.
The BWY topping lift seemed too simple when I first got it. I've now grown to appreciate the simplicity of it.
I have an internal halyard (with chicken head block) ... One of the big benefits of breaking your mast :D

My top lift is a block at the top (port side) and at the base of the mast I have it running through my Mast mounted cam'd swivel block... One pull on that sheet and the boom's in the air :)