Vertical Thermocline?

This is a place to document your trips with your boat. Tell us about your journeys. Share your experiences. Post your pictures.
Starscream
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Vertical Thermocline?

Post by Starscream »

In the lakes where we swim there is a very pronounced thermocline, where you can swim in warm water near the surface but heaven help you if you try to tread water with your legs in the deeper, cold water. I understand the physics when talking about a "barrier" between different depths.

I took this photo the other day of the line between the waters of the St. Lawrence and Ottawa Rivers, where they combine to the southeast of Ile Perrot. The line is is probably 10 miles long: the waters just don't mix. You can see the dirty brown, natural water of the Ottawa river and the clear (zebra-mussel filtered) blue-green water of the St. Lawrence. The transition from one to the other happens in the space of about two feet, usually with a thick line of floating seaweed trapped along the barrier line.

Does anyone know why this happens? Is it just the temperature/density difference? There is usually about a 1F differential between the two waters.

K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Vertical Thermocline?

Post by K9Kampers »

I've observed something like this while kayaking tidal rivers. Noticed a peculiar 'line' across the water, featuring different turbidities and smooth vs rippled surface water. Figured it to be where the salt water meets the fresh water.
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Looks like laminar flow.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Todd
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Todd »

I saw a similar line when I took a sailing class at Saint Andrew Bay Florida-- we popped out into the Gulf of Mexico and there was a distinct line between the fresh and sea water.
Todd
'07 26M

:macm: