A day sail on Lake Monroe Florida

This is a place to document your trips with your boat. Tell us about your journeys. Share your experiences. Post your pictures.
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: A day sail on Lake Monroe Florida

Post by Be Free »

I (mostly) sailed from Lake Monroe to Jacksonville and was amazed at how little traffic I saw outside of the weekends. There was a lot more traffic when I was in high school. I guess when the power plants converted off fuel oil it pretty much eliminated all of the barge traffic. I heard the plant in Enterprise shut down.

I used to ski on Lake Monroe. I stayed out near the middle and never saw a gator. Lake Jesup was another story altogether :wink:
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Be Free wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:03 am I (mostly) sailed from Lake Monroe to Jacksonville and was amazed at how little traffic I saw outside of the weekends. There was a lot more traffic when I was in high school. I guess when the power plants converted off fuel oil it pretty much eliminated all of the barge traffic. I heard the plant in Enterprise shut down.

I used to ski on Lake Monroe. I stayed out near the middle and never saw a gator. Lake Jesup was another story altogether :wink:
It has been awhile, but we have had gators in the marina in downtown Sanford. Had a manatee at my dock a few years back, too. but, you are right, they stay mostly around the edge of the lake, and I stay outward of the 6 foot line. So, we hardly ever have a "close encounter of the gator kind". :D
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Must be the FL sun.....Gators in SC seem to be more opportunistic in that from what we’ve seen they don’t mind the open fresh(ish) water and crossing the golf courses.
. We haven’t seen them in the estuaries lately but have seen Bull Sharks and Bonnet Heads at low tide when they have gotten into the shallows.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

I think it is amazing how much we share our waterways with potentially hazardous wildlife but seemingly have few deadly encounters. I guess the surfers come out the worst with shark bites. I watch a YouTube channel called the CHIT Show. It is simply a guy videoing what goes on at a boat ramp in Miami. The boaters are interesting enough, but the star of the show is a HUGE crocodile which he calls Fred who frequently meanders through the boaters at the ramp, snagging the occasional pelican or other water bird and then cruising on by. I would guess Fred is about 12 feet long. I'll count my blessings I am as far north as I am. :)
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Herschel wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:04 pm I think it is amazing how much we share our waterways with potentially hazardous wildlife but seemingly have few deadly encounters. I guess the surfers come out the worst with shark bites. I watch a YouTube channel called the CHIT Show. It is simply a guy videoing what goes on at a boat ramp in Miami. The boaters are interesting enough, but the star of the show is a HUGE crocodile which he calls Fred who frequently meanders through the boaters at the ramp, snagging the occasional pelican or other water bird and then cruising on by. I would guess Fred is about 12 feet long. I'll count my blessings I am as far north as I am. :)
I LOVE that channel. The narrator's comments are hilarious. I've wasted countless hours watching it. And the Fred appearances are amusing.
Another time-waster is Boats vs. Haulover Inlet. I've wasted way too much time on youtube.
--Russ
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Russ wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:21 am
Herschel wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:04 pm I think it is amazing how much we share our waterways with potentially hazardous wildlife but seemingly have few deadly encounters. I guess the surfers come out the worst with shark bites. I watch a YouTube channel called the CHIT Show. It is simply a guy videoing what goes on at a boat ramp in Miami. The boaters are interesting enough, but the star of the show is a HUGE crocodile which he calls Fred who frequently meanders through the boaters at the ramp, snagging the occasional pelican or other water bird and then cruising on by. I would guess Fred is about 12 feet long. I'll count my blessings I am as far north as I am. :)
I LOVE that channel. The narrator's comments are hilarious. I've wasted countless hours watching it. And the Fred appearances are amusing.
Another time-waster is Boats vs. Haulover Inlet. I've wasted way too much time on youtube.
Yes, there is a lot of entertainment with the boaters trying to dock their boats. I know we have all had our dings and rough dockings, but, truly, the way some of those guys approach the dock is hard to fathom. Also, since I had rather go boating on my Mac than visit the busy beaches of Florida, I kind of lost track of what some ladies are wearing for bathing suits these days. Occasionally, the CHIT show includes a fashion show of sorts. I can't imagine actually encountering a woman on the beach in some of those outfits. I used to think a jock strap was skimpy! Oh, well...just showing my age. :|
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi NiceAft!

Your watercolor paintings are beautiful!
I’m not kidding.

Thank you for sharing some of them.
You have a wonderful talent!

8) 8) 🐩