Trip out west without the boat

This is a place to document your trips with your boat. Tell us about your journeys. Share your experiences. Post your pictures.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: Trip out west without the boat

Post by kmclemore »

We are also headed west, and our trip will be in the first three weeks of June. Colorado, Utah, and perhaps north of there... still forming our plans. Our son lives in Boulder, so we'll be visiting him as well.

Oh, and Richard, in looking at your blog I see you passed right in front of our house on Lake Champlain in June, 2019. We have a house on the tip of Point Au Fer, just south of Rouses Point. I see you stopped in Gaines Marina - we keep our boats moored in the next marina closer to Canada, Barcomb's Marina, walking distance to Gaines! Sad that we didn't know you were in the neighborhood - we'd have treated you to dinner!
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

I will remember you said that because hopefully in 22 if Canada opens its borders we will do kind of the same route but come down into lake Champlain in the August September time frame. We will trailer our boat from Florida to Hudson Falls New York where we will leave our trailer and truck as we travel the Erie canal, then up to lake Ontario, thousand islands maybe the Trent Severn then the Rideau to Ottawa go to Montreal then out the Saint Lawrence to Sorel and then down into Lake Champlain.

Richard
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

ris wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:24 pm I will remember you said that because hopefully in 22 if Canada opens its borders we will do kind of the same route but come down into lake Champlain in the August September time frame. We will trailer our boat from Florida to Hudson Falls New York where we will leave our trailer and truck as we travel the Erie canal, then up to lake Ontario, thousand islands maybe the Trent Severn then the Rideau to Ottawa go to Montreal then out the Saint Lawrence to Sorel and then down into Lake Champlain.

Richard
I'll look forward to it. PM me when you've firmed up your plans nearer to the date.
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

We have been at crater Lake for two days and Saturday morning we had for Panther flat Campground near Crescent city California if any you Mac owners are in the area and want to meet up just send me a text or a private message we’re having fun, temperatures are great, hope to see the redwoods in the next five days while we are at Panther flat Campground in Northern California
Richard
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Rich,

Make certain you check about where you are going to see the Redwoods. One of those locations was severely burned by one of the major fires California has been having. That particular park has restricted visiting.

I believe Muir Woods is open.
I did this water color back in 2012. Majestic place.
Ray ~~_/)~~
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

Thanks Ray for the info. Nice painting.
Richard
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

Hi Richard and Jill,

If you get to the Redwood National Park near Orick, check out the campground at Stone Lagoon. Sandy's folks built it from scratch in the '70's. We will be out with our boat from June 10 till around July 1 or 2. I've been trying to keep mid July clear, in hopes that you'll get up our way. Keep us posted on your progress and estimated timing.

Happy travels, Mike
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

Mike we will be there around 9 or 10 July, will firm up if you will text me when you return home. We are looking forward to seeing you.
Richard
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

Ris:
If you pass near Portland or The Columbia River Gorge, let me know. I'd also love to say hi.

Jeff
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

That should work out very well. We should get home a little over a week before then. I'm not sure I still have your cell number handy. If you can PM me the number, I'll send you a text when we get back.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

C Buchs wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:52 am Ris:
If you pass near Portland or The Columbia River Gorge, let me know. I'd also love to say hi.

Jeff
And if you pass through the Bonneville Navigation Lock, rest easy knowing that I did some of the mechanical and controls design work on the big ugly crane there. 8)

Just don't get under it. :?

I was young(ish) then. :|

And you just never know. :o

Tom
Be seeing you . . .
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

Tomfoolery wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:12 am
C Buchs wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:52 am Ris:

Jeff
And if you pass through the Bonneville Navigation Lock, rest easy knowing that I did some of the mechanical and controls design work on the big ugly crane there. 8)

Just don't get under it. :?

I was young(ish) then. :|

And you just never know. :o

Tom:
The closest we've come to Bonneville Dam by boat is Beacon Rock. We've thought about trailering upriver and coming home. No matter which way we do it, when we do, I'll take a picture of your crane and post it here for you!

Jeff
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

We are on the hood canal in Northwestern Washington. This is about as far as you can get from frostproof Florida and I woke up with a hernia. Hopefully get it fixed Friday, 9 July and plan on hitting the road again in our trailer by Thursday of this next week if all goes well. About a week after that we hope to meet up with Chinook in Central Washington and he’s going to take us sailing on a McGregor. We have actually only sailed about two hours on McGregor even though we have traveled over 12,000 miles on one. Before the hernia operation we had been crabbing for Dungeness and rock crabs in the hood canal along with gathering clams that are about 4 inches wide when the tide was low and getting oysters off the rocks. It has been a seafood feast. The operation seem to have gone well feeling pretty good hope to leave here and continue our land journey by Thursday.
Richard
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

ris wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:56 pm. . . and plan on hitting the road again in our trailer by Thursday of this next week if all goes well.
Richard - what trailer are you towing? I've looked back through the thread and didn't see any mention of it, though I could easily have missed it of course. Just curious, is all. :wink:
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

I'm really sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope everything goes well.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me