Dreaming About Haida Gwaii

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, beene, Catigale, Hamin' X

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Re: Dreaming About Haida Gwaii

Post by yukonbob » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:23 pm

BOAT wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 am
Chinook wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:42 pm
The cruise around Vancouver Island has gotten my enthusiasm up for a trip out to Haida Gwaii. The 75 to 80 mile open ocean crossing of Hecate Strait is daunting, however with the right weather, and the boat/engine in proper condition, it's certainly doable. Ferrying the boat out there is another option, however with a $1000 + price tag for round trip with truck and trailer. Once out there, the cruising would be similar to the West Coast of Vancouver Island, with lots of sheltered waters to explore. I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience going out there. I recall a Mac owner who posted here from time to time actually lived on Haida Gwaii. Don't recall his name, but would like to get in touch. The fall and winter seasons are always great times to dream and scheme.
Make me understand - We drove our van all over the southern part of Vancouver Island and when it was time to jump off the Island we caught a ferry in Nanaimo that took us back to Horseshoe Bay for like 100 bucks! So your saying that if I have the boat in tow behind the van they are going to charge me a THOUSAND DOLLARS??!? :o

Holy Crap! That Sucks! I guess I will NOT be trailering 'boat' to Vancouver Island! :|

And I saw LOTs of Canadian cars towing Caravans on that ferry - I had no idea they were paying so much just to have their trailer with them!

Good info to know.
Don't forget Boat that's $1000 in Canadian peso's, so around $700 US round trip. I can't remember how that works with the Ferry's, one way is usually free but that might just be up the sunshine coast.

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:05 pm

Okay, I understand better now - so one way in my van is 100 bucks so round trip should be 200 bucks - then the math sort of takes care of itself from there:

If round trip for just the van is 200 then round trip for the van AND the boat should be double around 400 bucks.

Add on top the fact that Hecate Strait is almost twice the distance of the Strait of Georgia and round trip doubles to 800 bucks.

Then change 800 Uncle Sam Bucks to Queen Victoria bucks and whammo - thousand bucks easy.

I get it now.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:42 pm

When I brought my boat over onto the Isl. on the ferry it cost me $250. Can . one way lol
Northern Ontario
Going thru the Prairie,s

Going over the Rockie,s

waiting in the line up to board the ferry
that was cheap Gas & motels cost me $2500.00 Can

J 8)

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Leaving the mainland

New home

J 8)

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:21 pm

What’s that red prop, John? I’ve haven’t seen that on your boat before, and I have pictures from the parking lot at some MMORs to prove it. :D

Phil M
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Post by Phil M » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:32 am

that was cheap Gas & motels cost me $2500.00 Can
When I travelled with my Macgregor I always slept inside my boat on the trailer at truck stops along the route. Motels?

Phil M

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:10 pm

trip was over 4500 km it was late Sep. took me more than 2 days just to get thru Northern Ont. due to closed bridges under construction road detours onto gravel roads & lane closures spent a lot of time sitting in traffic along the whole trip due to every prov. having road construction on the trans can hiway I wanted to do this trip in 5 days trying to avoid bad weather so I was driving 14-16hrs a day non stop gas fill ups only so at the end of the day I,d pick something up for dinner have a few beers motel room get about 5hrs sleep shower & hit the road on my last day coming down the Rockies I was down to 15-20 km/h hauling the boat on ice & snow covered roads coming down the mountains 4days later u guy,s were stuck in 2ft of snow lol :D

J 8)