Lake Roosevelt Cruise

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Chinook
Admiral

Lake Roosevelt Cruise

Post by Chinook » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:44 am

This past Monday we returned from our 2 week explore of Lake Roosevelt, on the Columbia River above Grand Coulee Dam. We cruised to the head of lake influence on the main Columbia River portion of the reservoir (120 river miles - missed the stretch just above the dam, since we launched at Keller Ferry, at river mile 15). We also went up all 30 miles of the Spokane River arm. This required lowering our mast to get under a 29 foot bridge. We logged 316 miles for the trip. Fishing was fair for walleye and smallmouth bass (still learning), but we did get 2 nice fish dinners. Scenery and weather were both great. Boating traffic was minimal, except for the last Saturday. We never had to share an anchorage and, in fact, were virtually the only boat anchoring out. Speed boats and houseboats beach their boats instead, which eliminates competition for anchorages. We saw 5 other MacGregors while out, and were able to visit with several of the owners. Always enjoyable to talk boating with them. Journal for the trip, along with pictures, is now posted on our website (http://chinook.cecka.us), so you're invited to read along.

Chinook
Admiral

Re: Lake Roosevelt Cruise

Post by Chinook » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:50 am

Sample pictures from Lake Roosevelt:

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:15 pm

Beautiful pics! Thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to reading your trip log this evening.

Glad you and Sandy are well.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:25 am

Woke up at 6:30a turned on the laptop to get the weather. Of course check MacSailors first. Well done Mike. Good to know you and Sandy are healthy and back on the water. Great trip, enjoyed the blog. We are finally back on the Upper Miss this year as last year was a zero for us. Fair Winds!

? What size Engle do you have on board?
:macm:

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:01 am

We have the 36 quart size. It just fits in the table seat locker closest to the head on our 26x. For this 2 week trip, we prepared 13 prepackaged, frozen entrees (2 steaks, 2 pork chops, 2 strogonoffs, 2 chicken curry, 2 hamburgers, 2 sausage, 1 pulled pork) plus 2 premade frozen omelets. I set the Engel to run at freezing temp, with a styrofoam baffle on top of the frozen food, which was placed on the bottom. By careful temp setting, I was able to maintain a temp just above freezing on top of the baffle. This gave us both freezer and frig storage. It kept us in fresh frozen food for the whole trip. (The additional meal was fresh fish, which I was able to provide.) Also, we brought home a package of frozen fish. I brought along our 6 day Coleman ice chest, with a big block of home frozen ice. We stocked it with beer, lemonade, soda, eggs and those bulky condiments. I ended up buying ice twice during the trip, and the weather was in the 80's and 90's. Last couple of days the ice was gone, but with space available in the Engel, I was able to transfer things to the frig. One nice thing about running the freezer: stop for gas and buy a couple of ice cream bars; toss them in the freezer to enjoy later. Love that Engel.

Dougiestyle
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Dougiestyle » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:28 pm

Love the blog and thanks for posting your adventures.
Dougiestyle
1998 26X , Nissan 50D, "Water Buffalo"

Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:42 pm

that picture of your boat at the dock is framing worthy!
Todd
'07 26M

:macm:

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:29 pm

Yes, it is one of our favorites from the trip. Not showing, but docked right next to us was another 26X, owned by a couple from Colville. Always fun visiting with other Mac owners.