Thinking about Flaming Gorge

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Chinook
Admiral

Thinking about Flaming Gorge

Post by Chinook » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:06 pm

About this time every year I come down with a bad case of cabin fever, which I know can only be cured with a good boat trip, so I start dreaming and imagining, and inevitably the trip planning process kicks into gear. This year even more so than usual. Since I can't rely on the Canadian border being open again for the upcoming season, I'm once again considering domestic waters. I'm thinking about heading over to Flaming Gorge Reservoir, on the Wyoming/Utah border. I did a youtube search and ran across a series of 5 great videos by Starsloop, documenting Galactica's cruise (26M) there about 5 or 6 years ago. The videos are very well done, and have definitely piqued my interest in sailing those waters. For anyone who enjoys viewing some well done videos of a Mac sailing around on some scenic waters, I recommend checking these out.

Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Thinking about Flaming Gorge

Post by Russ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:45 am

Yes, Doug has some EXCELLENT videos and has traveled to many places with his Mac.

--Russ

BlueSky Sailor
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BlueSky Sailor » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:03 am

I have every intention of making Flaming Gorge but will have to wait for retirement at years end.
Maybe 2022. Got the boat, the RV to pull it with. No reason not to go other than the work it takes to get ready.
First order of business is to get new genoa ordered and replaced. Stitching on Sunbrella coming apart and I've decided to keep the old dog for a spare and order up a new one. New sheets line.
Yes, Flaming Gorge looks like someplace I'd like to explore. One caveat, I don't like 100 degree heat especially on the water. I would have to pencil out a time where day time highs hopefully not over about 80 degrees. Otherwise, my fun meter really starts downhill quickly. LOL
I've yet to overnight on the boat. Like a dreamer, I've spent lots of money on little "things" like propane/butane stove top, Mr. Heater catalytic heater, tons of spare parts and tools. So far my sailing has been limited to small inland lakes. Getting ready to branch out. :macm:

Larry

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:30 pm

Flaming Gorge is at an elevation of 6000 feet, so air is thin and weather subject to sudden changes. Average high temp in June is in the high 70's, July and August average in the mid 80's. Watching the above referenced videos, some days were quite chilly and others got nice and warm. I doubt that extreme heat occurs there very often.

Curwen
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Curwen » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:44 pm

Flaming Gorge is a beautiful place. Don't want to sail there.

Too many people and too many canyon walls that lead to wild winds.

Strawberry Reservation is a beautiful place. We try to spent a three day weekend there every year. Lots of nooks and crannys to hide in.

Wind can get wild there if you are not careful.

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:07 pm

Inland waters in general are subject to strong winds and sudden changes in direction. The high elevation adds to the challenge. I do enjoy poking into new places though. I'll check out Strawberry and maybe see you out there some time.